• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2015 |OT| Dustin Brown, Dustin Bro--

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
From a former Habs scout who's still close to Timmins and others in the organization:

What Bergevin found out at the trade deadline was that there was a lot more league-wide interest in Eller than there was for Desharnais...several teams would have taken Eller off of his hands. There is no shortage of GM's who think their coach would like and use Eller more than Therrien does in offensive situations.
Not all that surprising, but still interesting. I wonder how much of his future depends on his performance in this years playoffs. I'd love to see what Eller could do under a progressive coach who doesn't have a raging erection for DD.

So this thread happened
OP: Hey guess who got a great gf now???

Cousin: Who is this?

OP: Your cousin. Remember you said I couldn't get one 15 years ago haha

Cousin: Oh...

OP: Friend me?

Cousin: Why?

OP: You're smart, beautiful, talented, funny, perfect, etc.

OP: And also, you are sexually more attractive than my gf, LOL

Cousin: WTF?

OP: jk
I love GAF during Spring. Always delivers.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Or you could just give players meaningful suspensions, including playoff games. I guarantee you Shaw doesn't do that if he knows he might miss one or two rounds for it.

Beyond the way the league handles supplementary discipline, officiating in general needs a serious look, honestly. Something like one-third of the plays that resulted in suspensions this season were not called penalties during the game. You have to expect that every now and then the officials will miss something, but that's way, way too large a percentage.

Harsher discipline off the ice is good, but more immediate punishment on the ice would probably have a stronger punch to it. At least with a suspension the team can call someone up or replace you in the lineup, largely mitigating the negative impact the consequences of your actions as a player might have. If you're being hit with a 5 minute major and a game misconduct, though, you've really royally fucked your team for the rest of the game and there's not a whole lot they can do about it other than hope they can weather the storm. I know which one of those options would make me feel like more of an asshole to my teammates.

Not that you just have to pick one or the other, of course.

lupinko

Canucks have a pretty big following in Australia because of the Whistler/Australia connection.

I know the guy that runs that site. He also does social media for the Melbourne Mustangs.

Interesting, I should ask my Australian colleagues here in Japan about this. Well I figure they probably wouldn't know, since the only Australian who is hockey awesome is you.

EDIT: Wait, I don't see any boards there, so scratch that post question.

lupinko

No, the Leafs are so shit we can't fucking tank properly. :(

Oh I'm adapting the Sweater as a lesson for my Junior High students, I'm actually working on Japanese subtitles for the film too.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Kevin Klein is skating on his own again this morning (I think he also skated before the Devils game). He's still not stickhandling yet, though. Seems pretty borderline whether he'll be able to play by Saturday or not.

We're finally playing those mythical "games in hand" that we've had over every other team nearly all season long tonight and tomorrow! 3 points clinches the Eastern Conference. Two wins clinches the Presidents' Trophy. 3 wins out of the remaining 4 games sets a new franchise record for points. And Henrik Lundqvist needs 2 more wins to maintain his career long streak of 30 win (full length) seasons.

EDIT: Apparently Klein DID do some stickhandling towards the end of his skate this morning. He's still aiming to have play at least one game before the regular season ends.

Oh, 19 & 21 is a big anime fan.
Best form of media.
tqzGqEg.jpg

Calamari41

41 > 38
Oh, 19 & 21 is a big anime fan.

It took a while for me to realize this, but after reading 19&21's posts I came to the conclusion that I was missing something vastly important in my own life. Well, saying I was missing it is wrong, I guess the best way to describe it would be is I never didn’t have it, but I believe I “locked” it up and “it” is kindness, cuteness and the moe of all life. A large “theme”/subject matter of his posts are about being nice, kind, cute and loving all that comes with it. I sit here drafting sentence after sentence as tears run down my face, what can I say to properly get my emotions across, how do I even say it? 19&21, I want you to know that I appreciate you more than I have ever appreciated anyone in my life. So much so that I want you to know that I respect everything about you, I truly like your line/way of thinking (I’ve incorporated it into my thoughts), I love the way you speak on this forum, I love the stutters and dots (….) you use when you type, it’s unbelievably cute and I used to do something like that too; in the end though, I really…. …. …. l..-…l...-…like you and everything you are.

zroid

Banned
Was reading something and came across this illustration that's kind of fascinating.

T88yYYJ.png

a luck-skill continuum for various games -- shows the results of a hockey game are half way between playing a slot machine and basketball. and it's closer to playing the roulette than playing chess. that's a lot of luck.

a lot of people constantly try to deny the significant role luck plays in hockey but it's just a fact. that's why it's important to isolate the aspects of it that don't depend on luck to find actual hockey skill.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Was reading something and came across this illustration that's kind of fascinating.

T88yYYJ.png

a luck-skill continuum for various games -- shows the results of a hockey game are half way between playing a slot machine and basketball. and it's closer to playing the roulette than playing chess. that's a lot of luck.

a lot of people constantly try to deny the significant role luck plays in hockey but it's just a fact. that's why it's important to isolate the aspects of it that don't depend on luck to find actual hockey skill.

Can you post the numbers from which this graphic was created?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

T88yYYJ.png

I'm waiting for the salty "basketball is shit" comments that will soon appear. :D

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

T88yYYJ.png

I'm not sure I totally agree with that picture. I find hockey relies a lot more on chemistry between the players on a team than any other sport, simply because of the fast paced nature of the game. When you have players skating around at 40 km/h, you don't have much time to think, your reaction has to be based on your instinct of what your teammate is going to do.

If you look at the teams with a good combination of skill and chemistry, you'll see they're more successful than other teams and luck has nothing to do with that.

zroid

Banned
for the record, I'm not going to argue about this, just posted it because I found it interesting. you can draw your own conclusions. :p

Cake Boss

Banned
Mark Stone is 2 points away from tieing a franchise record in points by a rookie currently held by Traitersson. He would do it in less games, and playing better defensively and younger than he was. Leads all league in takeaways also, a stat dominated by centers, the next winger close to him is off by 20 takeaways.

Plus hes a Canadian instead of a Swedish traitor.

tumblr_nkd6s0AOk71qdbe91o1_400.gif

All hail Mark Stone.

Calamari41

41 > 38
I definitely disagree with baseball's placement on that spectrum. Maybe an individual game of baseball has some component of luck involved, but there are so many games and so many at-bats and pitches in a season that any luck involved doesn't have an effect on the standings by the time the season is over. A wild pitch here or an overthrown first baseman there can determine the outcome of a game, but is invisible when looking at a team's performance over a season. And if it happens enough to affect a team's place in the standings, then it isn't luck... it's a lack of skill.

Habs/Blackhawks Defenceman Dollard St.Laurent has died at the age of 85.

He won 4 Cups with the Habs and One with the Blackhawks,

Also. Patches is Traveling with the team to Montreal

I mean I think there's way more involved than dominant possession stats. Just like anything you can build your team with a style that doesn't emphasize puck possession but rather counter attacking and it can be just as successful. It requires a lot of things to be successful sure, but it is viable. There's so much confirmation bias that goes on with analytics people and it leaves a real bad taste.

I'm not saying it's useless to try to look deeper, but rating teams based on puck possession when there are way more things at play is kind of missing the whole point of finding a deeper understanding of the game.

:lol it's true and probably related... the unpredictability of sports is a large part of what makes them entertaining.

<3

any details yet?

Nothing yet. I'm guessing we will find out how he's doing in a few days. Only thing new is that he's traveling with the team

zroid

Banned
I mean I think there's way more involved than dominant possession stats. Just like anything you can build your team with a style that doesn't emphasize puck possession but rather counter attacking and it can be just as successful. It requires a lot of things to be successful sure, but it is viable. There's so much confirmation bias that goes on with analytics people and it leaves a real bad taste.

I'm not saying it's useless to try to look deeper, but rating teams based on puck possession when there are way more things at play is kind of missing the whole point of finding a deeper understanding of the game.

I'll just say this. You're totally right. The main reason possession stats are so valued is because they're one of the few things that have already been proven to be repeatable and predictive of future success. There's so much going on in hockey that it's very difficult to isolate the minutia of the game into meaningful statistics. Most analysts have given up on getting better stats from the data we already have, and are just waiting for the player tracking tech to hopefully start making new inroads into this stuff.

Samyy

I mean I think there's way more involved than dominant possession stats. Just like anything you can build your team with a style that doesn't emphasize puck possession but rather counter attacking and it can be just as successful.

Thats pretty much what Carlyle did in Anaheim & Toronto.
I think the conditions for getting the right mix and making a counter attacking style are harder to achieve, you need a pretty damn good defensive team throughout the lineup. And you open yourself up to more just random lucky goals going in given that you're spending more time in your zone.

Also The Kings are a bit of a unique possession dominant team because I think they dump & chase a lot whereas the prototypical possession thing to do is carry the puck. But again, seems like its harder to build a team like that.

Socreges

Banned
I definitely disagree with baseball's placement on that spectrum. Maybe an individual game of baseball has some component of luck involved, but there are so many games and so many at-bats and pitches in a season that any luck involved doesn't have an effect on the standings by the time the season is over. A wild pitch here or an overthrown first baseman there can determine the outcome of a game, but is invisible when looking at a team's performance over a season. And if it happens enough to affect a team's place in the standings, then it isn't luck... it's a lack of skill.
You have to look at individual games. ie, what determines who wins? Otherwise an 82-game sample would likewise balance out variable luck.

This is why I keep coming back here. :3
All Leafs fans are masochists.

:lol it's true and probably related... the unpredictability of sports is a large part of what makes them entertaining.
There's just so little tension in basketball. That's my problem with it.

#2 Center Kyle Turris has more points than Spezza, Backes, PlecSex, Bergeron, Oreilly, RNH :lol
He's been killing it lately.

Calamari41

41 > 38
You have to look at individual games. ie, what determines who wins? Otherwise an 82-game sample would likewise balance out variable luck.

Even then I don't see the luck in baseball, or at least more luck than something like basketball. 150 pitches per game on each side reduces a lot of statistical noise, and there's only something like .6 errors per game on average across all teams... what's the big luck component comparable to "puck luck?"

I think the nature of rebounds alone would cause basketball and baseball to be a lot closer to each other on that spectrum, to be honest.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Mark Stone is 2 points away from tieing a franchise record in points by a rookie currently held by Traitersson. He would do it in less games, and playing better defensively and younger than he was. Leads all league in takeaways also, a stat dominated by centers, the next winger close to him is off by 20 takeaways.

Plus hes a Canadian instead of a Swedish traitor.

tumblr_nkd6s0AOk71qdbe91o1_400.gif

All hail Mark Stone.

OHnPZYD.png

?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Omg there's a chance the nhl awards the win to Ottawa.... Depends on overhead of shot taken last night.... May have gone through the net

Top Bottom