• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2015 |OT| Dustin Brown, Dustin Bro--

Was reading something and came across this illustration that's kind of fascinating.

T88yYYJ.png

a luck-skill continuum for various games -- shows the results of a hockey game are half way between playing a slot machine and basketball. and it's closer to playing the roulette than playing chess. that's a lot of luck.

a lot of people constantly try to deny the significant role luck plays in hockey but it's just a fact. that's why it's important to isolate the aspects of it that don't depend on luck to find actual hockey skill.

I refuse to believe Baseball takes more skill to play than Hockey. I'd say the list is mostly consistent otherwise.

Sanjuro

I refuse to believe Baseball takes more skill to play than Hockey. I'd say the list is mostly consistent otherwise.

Why? Out of the major four sports, baseball and hockey are probably the most similar. Skill wise, baseball is probably the most difficult to maintain consistent and upper echelon player.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If they're willing to let Patches fly home right away, it would seem that his situation isn't terrible.

ShaneB

Throwing a baseball at that velocity is as well. The human body simply isn't meant to do that.

Yup. There's a reason baseball has such a massive minor league system. Takes years for most players to develop.

Maybe I'm just hyped watching some baseball right now.

Red_Man

McKenzie asked 20 coaches who they think should win the various awards, Price went 20 for 20 for the MVP

b7bed0027bc53ccc2e9a808416774385.349x400x30.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
Nevertheless, Karlsson received eight first-place votes, twice as many as Los Angeles King Doughty (4) and four times as many as the only other two blueliners – teammates Shea Weber and Roman Josi, two apiece – to get multiple first-place votes

NORRRRRIIIIIISSSSSSOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Quick

Banned

Baseball requires a lot of skill. I think the fact that it's a slow moving game gives the casual viewer the false sense that it requires little skill.

Imagine having to catch a small ball from the plate to the outfield. It's insane. Then you have pitchers that are able to throw at 90mph for a couple of hours. Then imagine being able to hit said ball at that velocity consistently.

Merguson

Banned
They certainly can for a regular season game in OT. Playoffs are on the line

But that may not be in just because there's an angle to the view, looks like it missed

That shot was waist high iirc

I'm pretty sure the NHL wouldn't do anything this late.

Not that it matters now since the NHL ruled no goal.

LA could miss the playoffs and they got votes to win the Cup. The Rangers are definitely the favourites: deep, experienced, and healthy now. Anaheim and St. Louis have question marks in net, Chicago needs Kane, Tampa is injured.

And of course one has to mention Toronto getting McDavid.

Definitely agree that the Calder and Norris are up in the air.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
4. Who goes into the playoffs as odds-on favorite to win the Stanley Cup and which are the two teams to beat in your conference (forgetting about divisional and/or wild card formatting).

Survey says: The New York Rangers enter the playoffs as the morning-line favorite, with 11 of 20 coaches tabbing them as the team to beat. The Rangers were the only Eastern Conference team to get a vote as Cup favorite; Anaheim and Los Angeles (the defending champion Kings aren’t even guaranteed a playoff spot) got three votes apiece, St. Louis had two and Chicago one.

As for the conference teams to beat – again, keeping in mind there was no allowance made for the divisional playoff format - Eastern coaches surveyed were unanimous on the Rangers, 10 for 10. Tampa was the clear second choice, just ahead of Washington. Montreal and the Islanders got a little but not a lot of love.

In the West, the coaches viewed it as a three-headed monster with Anaheim, St. Louis and Chicago in, more or less, a dead heat for support as the two teams to beat. Nashville and Minnesota got mentioned, but just that.
Looks like that bull's eye is fully locked on now. Gonna be a wild couple of months.

Also, if I was voting for the Hart right now, it would be Price >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Ovechkin > Nash.

Pikma

Banned
The luck involved in stopping a puck and making a save is halfway between that of finding three twenty bucks bills on the ground in the same day and getting hit by a meteorite while sleeping.

Price doesn't deserve it.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
The Rangers are doing the presentation for their annual Steven McDonald Extra Effort Award for the player voted by the fans as having gone above and beyond the call of duty on and off the ice before the game tonight.

Zucc was last year's winner. If I had to put money on this year's, I'd say Cam Talbot.

Of course, I also voted for Zucc last year and Cam this year. :D

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
NORRRRRIIIIIISSSSSSOOOOOONNNNNNNNNNN!!!!!

Among dmen, Josi is 4th in points, 4th in TOI, 2nd in blocked shots, 59th (!) in giveaways (karlsson is 3rd)

He'll probably not win but he has a case.

Josi is also locked up at 4mio per year til 2020. One of the best contracts in the league for sure, maybe next to Tavares and Pacioretty. (Not that that matters for Norris, but it's still interesting)

Red_Man

Game 7 of the finals and you have a 1 goal lead with 3 mins to play, how many coaches are putting Karlsson out there over Weber, Doughty, Subban, Keith, McDonagh? On the other hand if you're down 1 goal with 3 mins left, Karlsson is the guy you would put out for sure.

Yawnier

Banned
ZkO0TaG.png

If the oilers pick both 1st and 4th in this draft I might have to take a year off from hockey

I wouldn't be too worried

It's Deadmonton. They'll probably put whatever player they pick at 3rd or 4th overall in the NHL this season and partly ruin him

Yup. There's a reason baseball has such a massive minor league system. Takes years for most players to develop.

Maybe I'm just hyped watching some baseball right now.

So true. Then there's motherfuckers who can throw 100 mph with accuracy and folks who can actually hit those.

I'm an Angel fan. My ace can throw 85 :-(

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Nash? Over Crosby and Tavares?

Over Crosby? Easily. Tavares is another matter. That's a tight one as it's hard to argue the Islanders are anywhere even remotely close to where they are without him.

But Nash has had an absolutely monster year, and it's not just in one area. It will never happen, but he could be a perfectly valid Selke nominee this season. His defensive play has been outstanding and has led to his offense. He's one of our best and certainly our most dangerous penalty killer. Because teams have keyed in so strongly on trying to stop Nash, it's opened up all kinds of opportunities for Kreider on the second line and especially for Hagelin and Hayes on the third line. People will point to the two-headed monster of Hank and Talbot in net or our ridiculous defensive corps (but both had huge problems during the first half of the season, especially our defense which did NOT play like you would expect that defensive group to play), and they certainly have caught fire as the season has gone on, but Nash's season is the one and only reason why we have a chance to win the Presidents' Trophy as soon as tomorrow.

I think a lot of people have forgotten that the Rangers were a .500 hockey team at the start of December, and the only reason we were even in that good of shape is because of Rick Nash. And then he continued to stay red hot for months as the rest of the team started to follow in his wake. He only really finally started to cool off, as the rest of the team started to cool off (but still found ways to win), in March, which is really the only reason why I even put him behind Ovechkin, but even now he's starting to heat up again.

Also, from a leadership point of view, not putting a letter on the front of Nash's jersey at the start of the season may have been one of the single smartest decisions that AV has made during his tenure with the Rangers to date. Between that and his regret over his performance in last year's Final, Nash has been motivated as fuck to be a leader on the team.

Top Bottom