• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2015 |OT| Dustin Brown, Dustin Bro--

Phil with 2a

Bernier playing like it's 1988

A good night indeed. If Edmonton can pull out a victory it'll be a great night.

zroid

Banned
The Sabres' last even strength shot attempt in that game came with 17 minutes left. Based Lindback :lol

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Leafs need the equivalent of one Hanifin, two Stromes, one Marner, and whatever the junior version of Carey Price is before we even sniff the playoffs. It's going to be a LONG fucking haul so I do not give a shit if we don't get McDavid.

Fucale for Nylander!

Leafs next 4 games: Boston, Ottawa, Columbus, Montreal

THAT 0-4 DREAM!!!

Guaranteed win against Montreal.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Phil with 2a

Bernier playing like it's 1988

A good night indeed. If Edmonton can pull out a victory it'll be a great night.

92082-Stop-my-penis-can-only-get-so-Qs97.gif

zroid

Banned
True but Carolina has two games in hand and are three points ahead. I'm more making the point that I'm indifferent about missing out on the truly rock bottom 1st and 2nd overall picks.

Dude. You need to get more hype.

McDavid has the potential to be the best player in the league during his career. When was the last time the Leafs had the best player in the league?

it was before calder was born

he's not gonna be the miracle cure but it will be awesome for the team. it will also piss off canucks fans.

Montresor

Dude. You need to get more hype.

McDavid has the potential to be the best player in the league during his career. When was the last time the Leafs had the best player in the league?

it was before calder was born

he's not gonna be the miracle cure but it will be awesome for the team. it will also piss off canucks fans.

This might sound ridiculous, since Pittsburgh fans enjoyed two finals in 2008 and 2009 and of course a Cup victory in 2009, but what has having the #1 and #2 players in the world done for Pittsburgh fans lately? Great regular seasons and embarrassing defensive/goaltending collapses for the past couple of years. Crosby is the undisputed #1 and that means almost nothing. Boston, Chicago, LA, New York Rangers, etc... These teams are not close to having anything close to an undisputed, league wide, worldwide best player, and recently they have been way way better than Pittsburgh (though Boston has started a decline).

Of course I'd like McDavid, but the Leafs' road to success is going to be more about dramatically increasing our drafting/development teams' effectiveness from top to bottom. For fuck's sake we need a commitment to drafting speed and skill (with a few helpings of size and character). Give me a roster like LA's or Montreal's or New York's or Anaheim's and I'm a happy man.

More important than McDavid is drafting a GOOD player with our 2nd round pick. And maybe 2016's 2nd round pick. And in 2017. Maybe get at least one fucking Bergeron or Subban in the 2nd round in the next five years.

zroid

Banned
This might sound ridiculous, since Pittsburgh fans enjoyed two finals in 2008 and 2009 and of course a Cup victory in 2009, but what has having the #1 and #2 players in the world done for Pittsburgh fans lately? Great regular seasons and embarrassing defensive/goaltending collapses for the past couple of years. Crosby is the undisputed #1 and that means almost nothing. Boston, Chicago, LA, New York Rangers, etc... These teams are not close to having anything close to an undisputed, league wide, worldwide best player, and recently they have been way way better than Pittsburgh (though Boston has started a decline).

Of course I'd like McDavid, but the Leafs' road to success is going to be more about dramatically increasing our drafting/development teams' effectiveness from top to bottom. For fuck's sake we need a commitment to drafting speed and skill (with a few helpings of size and character). Give me a roster like LA's or Montreal's or New York's or Anaheim's and I'm a happy man.

That was my point about it not being the miracle cure.

My other point is that it is still awesome for the team and fanbase to have an uber-marketable superstar. And you don't have to choose one or the other, not having McDavid won't make it any more difficult to build a good team (it might make it easier if anything).

My other point is that it is still awesome for the team and fanbase to have an uber-marketable superstar. And you don't have to choose one or the other, not having McDavid won't make it any more difficult to build a good team (it might make it easier if anything).

Yeah, not Crosby's and Malkin's fault that Shero kept drafting defensemen.

Could have had Forsberg.

Syrinx

More important than McDavid is drafting a GOOD player with our 2nd round pick. And maybe 2016's 2nd round pick. And in 2017. Maybe get at least one fucking Bergeron or Subban in the 2nd round in the next five years.
umm...

Montresor

I think we are on the same page.

I know the Leafs don't have their 2nd this year, lolz.

You crazy kids and your McDavid talk. McDavid!

I'm stressing about the Leafs missing out on Marner/Strome/Hanifin. Isn't there a bigger chance the Leafs drop to the 8-10 pick than getting the 1st overall?

Edmonton just needs to go 2-2-2 if we go 0-4 to pass us :O

I can't see it happening. :(

As bad as this half empty give no shits Leafs team is, somehow Edmonton's is worse. It's mindblowing.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Dude you're all over the place.

You want better drafting but at the same time don't care if the Leafs get McDavid or Eichel?

I think you're seeing something different in your mind then what everyone else is saying. No one is saying getting McDavid or Eichel all of a sudden fixes the Leafs. At most it might "speed up" the rebuild if you end up with a guy who could end up being world class good right from the get go. But they obviously need to hit on many other draft picks and develop them well over the next 5 plus years.

Also with your example Penguins in those years you talked about:

2008 - lost Stanley Cup finals
2009- Won the Stanley Cup
2010 - Lost second round
2011 - Lost first round
2012 - Lost first round
2013 - Lost conference finals
2014 - Lost second round

It's not the Stanley Cup which really matters but you make it seem as if the Pens choke out of the first round every year.

zroid

Banned

I'm stressing about the Leafs missing out on Marner/Strome/Hanifin. Isn't there a bigger chance the Leafs drop to the 8-10 pick than getting the 1st overall?

Hmmm? I think the worst they can technically do even if they win out is draft 6th overall.

4th or 5th is most likely depending on who wins the lottery

1st is about 10%

Montresor

I think you're seeing something different in your mind then what everyone else is saying.

You are right. In my mind I'm thinking "I don't want anyone to use missing McDavid as an excuse for continued Leafs mediocrity" but no one here is actually saying that.

Hmmm? I think the worst they can technically do even if they win out is draft 6th overall.

4th or 5th is most likely depending on who wins the lottery

1st is about 10%

Dude you're all over the place.

You want better drafting but at the same time don't care if the Leafs get McDavid or Eichel?

I think you're seeing something different in your mind then what everyone else is saying. No one is saying getting McDavid or Eichel all of a sudden fixes the Leafs. At most it might "speed up" the rebuild if you end up with a guy who could end up being world class good right from the get go. But they obviously need to hit on many other draft picks and develop them well over the next 5 plus years.

Also with your example Penguins in those years you talked about:

2008 - lost Stanley Cup finals
2009- Won the Stanley Cup
2010 - Lost second round
2011 - Lost first round
2012 - Lost first round
2013 - Lost conference finals
2014 - Lost second round

It's not the Stanley Cup which really matters but you make it seem as if the Pens choke out of the first round every year.

I can't see it happening. :(

As bad as this half empty give no shits Leafs team is, somehow Edmonton's is worse. It's mindblowing.

<---- Offseason thread.

I heard more positive, constructive and hopeful conversations in rehab.

Top Bottom