• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2015 |OT| Dustin Brown, Dustin Bro--

Heretic

We're a team who idolize Corey Perry. What are you expecting?

But seriously, if you're referring to earlier, it's just irritating seeing downer tank talk and people cheering for their teams to lose. How is that at all in the spirit of hockey? Long term benefit is obvious, but living today and in the moment is key. Life can slip right past you if you aren't around to take glee in the minor victories, the spoils of war, and the chance to see the players wearing your team's jersey achieve something.

When the Ducks were tripping in their final Carlyle season, the draft was something we looked forward to, but Heretic and I always loved a win. To see the returning players achieve something personally and looking at bright spots on the team was our savior.

And yes, we were eyeing Dumba while doing it.

My Captain <3

I remember our reaction to passing on Dumba hahaha! Hampus is a freaking STUD! Ducks scouts freaking rock!

zroid

Banned
goal aside, why the fuck would you put John Scott out on the ice in a 6v5 situation

yeah why would you put him out in any situation but still

Xeteh

Do the Sharks have any other players that have scored nearly nothing all season that need to net one? We can pull Berra again.

Pikma

Banned
Just arrived from the Ducks game. Expected to watch two teams playing playoff hockey, unfortunately only one showed up. 6 goals made for a very entertaining game though

Oh and it made it even more difficult to me to understand how the hell that piece of shit of a team beat us 4-0 last week.

We're a team who idolize Corey Perry. What are you expecting?

But seriously, if you're referring to earlier, it's just irritating seeing downer tank talk and people cheering for their teams to lose. How is that at all in the spirit of hockey? Long term benefit is obvious, but living today and in the moment is key. Life can slip right past you if you aren't around to take glee in the minor victories, the spoils of war, and the chance to see the players wearing your team's jersey achieve something.

When the Ducks were tripping in their final Carlyle season, the draft was something we looked forward to, but Heretic and I always loved a win. To see the returning players achieve something personally and looking at bright spots on the team was our savior.

And yes, we were eyeing Dumba while doing it.

I remember being pissed we didn't get Dumba as he was available, just got some doofus named Hampus Lindholm.

Anaheim is better at drafting than I am.

I don't know why we all expected Dumba to be akin to the next Pronger or whatnot. It's what all the scouting reports were saying.

He seems to be working out for the Wild nowadays, but we're all obviously happy with our alternate picks.

Lindholm is a goddamn stud, and that moment will never ever make me question Anaheims scouting staff ever again.

Found Quick on r/creepy...

vR1FinG.gif

Solo

Big game tonight vs the Caps as they are very likely the Habs' first round opponent. I hope we don't get a reverse 2010.

Quick

Banned
Just wanted to set the record straight with Dastardly on my behalf regarding tank talk:

It's mostly in jest. It actually sucks seeing my team be as terrible as they are right now. But in light of that, the silver lining of it all is at least the draft and the Leafs organization possibly being prompted to make changes. This season's been really deflating, especially after being in the playoffs just a couple of seasons ago - you'd think that would be a sign of improvement. Best way I can cope is to joke about it at least. Tankaku!

I'd like to think that the rest of us tank team fans are within that same mindset.

tumblr_mtrb2xG6MV1rbgu1so1_250.gif
tumblr_mtrb2xG6MV1rbgu1so2_250.gif

PS: At least we're not the Oilers.

giphy.gif

ShaneB

Big game tonight vs the Caps as they are very likely the Habs' first round opponent. I hope we don't get a reverse 2010.

Considering the point gap now compared to then, no one is an underdog that makes the playoffs in my opinion.

And yes, I'm excited as hell for this game tonight. May end up watching the first period with an extended gym stay, and miss a bit of the second period.

edit: If the weather stays nice as well tonight maybe I'll be watching this one out on my balcony.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Just wanted to set the record straight with Dastardly on my behalf regarding tank talk:

It's mostly in jest. It actually sucks seeing my team be as terrible as they are right now. But in light of that, the silver lining of it all is at least the draft and the Leafs organization possibly being prompted to make changes. This season's been really deflating, especially after being in the playoffs just a couple of seasons ago - you'd think that would be a sign of improvement. Best way I can cope is to joke about it at least. Tankaku!

I'd like to think that the rest of us tank team fans are within that same mindset.

tumblr_mtrb2xG6MV1rbgu1so1_250.gif
tumblr_mtrb2xG6MV1rbgu1so2_250.gif

PS: At least we're not the Oilers.

giphy.gif

Yeah, this is pretty much it.

zroid

Banned
So have you guys heard about the Adam Gold draft lottery proposal?

It's a really inventive solution in my opinion, doesn't really have a significant downside that I can think of either.

If you're unaware, basically it proposes that the draft order should be determined by how many points a team obtains after it has been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. That is, the more points you earn, the earlier you pick. In theory it works because the crappier teams get eliminated sooner so they have more games left to earn points toward a higher draft pick. But fans and management still can't outright get on #TankNation since they need to be good enough to actually win games down the stretch. Plus it's a lot more fun for fans than hoping their team loses.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

It's a really inventive solution in my opinion, doesn't really have a significant downside that I can think of either.

If you're unaware, basically it proposes that the draft order should be determined by how many points a team obtains after it has been mathematically eliminated from the playoffs. That is, the more points you earn, the earlier you pick. In theory it works because the crappier teams get eliminated sooner so they have more games left to earn points toward a higher draft pick. But fans and management still can't outright get on #TankNation since they need to be good enough to actually win games down the stretch. Plus it's a lot more fun for fans than hoping their team loses.

Doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose? What about bad teams that are just incapable of winning, they'd never get better.

The biggest downside to this though is scheduling. If you only consider a subset of games you make it rely on what matchups teams have in those games way too much.

Calamari41

41 > 38

Won't that just move #TankNation to the first day of the regular season? This plays directly into their favor and basically permanently screws the teams that are legitimately not good, since they won't be winning games period.

Ideal solution for competition, keeps the regular season interesting for everyone.

calder

In a perfect world, there would be no draft honestly. The draft exists not to make bad teams better but to make young players cheaper. Which is fine, but in a salary cap league it's not really that necessary anymore.

The Gold plan is fun (and much better than any lottery could be imo) but I kinda like the wheel method where teams have randomly assigned but preordained draft positions every year. Let's face it, good teams usually stay good because they have good management and bad teams stay Oilers for the same reason - the draft doesn't actually help bad teams as much as we tend to imagine it does.

What's wrong with anime fans? Also, I guess sexiness is a bad thing now? If you played the game and she popped up, would she offend you and stop playing?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Trying to fix tanking is impossible. Just mess around with the percentages and move on.

Heck have it more like the NBA where you could have the best percentage to get the top pick but end up picking 4th.

zroid

Banned
Doesnt that kind of defeat the purpose? What about bad teams that are just incapable of winning, they'd never get better.

what teams are those? the 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres are the worst non-expansion team in league history, but they've still won a decent number of games since being eliminated. and Tim Murray probably would've tanked less blatantly if this was the system in place.

Out of curiosity I wonder what the draft order this year would be under this system.

Samyy

Trying to fix tanking is impossible. Just mess around with the percentages and move on.

Heck have it more like the NBA where you could have the best percentage to get the top pick but end up picking 4th.

That's esaentially what it is next year

zroid

Banned
In a perfect world, there would be no draft honestly. The draft exists not to make bad teams better but to make young players cheaper. Which is fine, but in a salary cap league it's not really that necessary anymore.

I kind of agree with that, the draft can be entertaining but how is it remotely fair to anyone, especially the kids being drafted? They should get some say in the matter of where they go.

teams shouldn't simply be rewarded for incompetence, but at the same time they should be given the opportunity to dig themselves out of a hole. removing the draft would allow that.

calder

what teams are those? the 2014-15 Buffalo Sabres are the worst non-expansion team in league history, but they've still won a decent number of games since being eliminated. and Tim Murray probably would've tanked less blatantly if this was the system in place.

Out of curiosity I wonder what the draft order this year would be under this system.

I saw on twitter the other day that under the Gold plan this year #1 would be going to... the Oilers. Abort! Abort! ;)

But it is a great system. And yeah this year is very unusual not because of McDavid but because of McDavid *and* Eichel, that's what makes the usual lottery system much less effective. I still think they could come up with something better though, even if the depths of this years tankapalooza are unlikely to happen again anytime soon.

EDIT: oh yeah, if anyone is interested in an even crazier draft alternative than the Gold Plan, here is The Wheel as explained by Zach Lowe at Grantland. He talking about it for the NBA, but it could in theory work the exact same for hockey.

Grantland obtained a copy of the proposal, which would eliminate the draft lottery and replace it with a system in which each of the 30 teams would pick in a specific first-round draft slot once &#8212; and exactly once &#8212; every 30 years. Each team would simply cycle through the 30 draft slots, year by year, in a predetermined order designed so that teams pick in different areas of the draft each year. Teams would know with 100 percent certainty in which draft slots they would pick every year, up to 30 years out from the start of every 30-year cycle.
--
The system is simpler to understand in pictorial form. Below is the wheel that outlines the order in which each team would cycle through the draft slots; the graphic highlights the top six slots in red to show that every team would be guaranteed one top-six pick every five seasons, and at least one top-12 pick in every four-year span:
iQ6x8xPmn1LGu.png

The 'prevent tank' crisis is reminding me of the 'NHL refs are just horrid' crisis.

These ideas crop up and occupy everyone's attention for 8 months and then largely pass into memory.

trifelife

Sven Baertschi has 13 points in 12 games for Utica

Ben Hutton scored in his first game

Hunter Shinkaruk has goals in five straight

After a decade without almost any interesting prospects, it feels pretty good man

Top Bottom