• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2015 |OT| Dustin Brown, Dustin Bro--

Foggy

Nah. This draft is still good enough that while I'd be pissed, Barzal would still be a good pick. I know Samayy was pumping Zacha's tires before as well.

My hope is we get another pick in the first round this draft. Provorov, Kylington, Konecny, etc. lots of good picks.

Leafs fans are a weird breed. After the complete destruction of the team and this embarrassing hollow shell they throw out there every night, they still find room to reach deeper levels of despair over 1 place in the draft order.

Justin Fisher ‏@thejustinfisher 15m
Doug MacLean is on 590 right now floating the idea that, if Pittsburgh misses the playoffs, a Malkin for Kessel+ deal is a possibility.

idyhqpvzVPjZq.png

Calamari41

41 > 38
Leafs fans are a weird breed. After the complete destruction of the team and this embarrassing hollow shell they throw out there every night, they still find room to reach deeper levels of despair over 1 place in the draft order.

I just can't wait until we're freed from the endless, droning draft talk for a couple of months.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Carolina lost in regulation yesterday. *sad face*

Ottawa won against Pittsburgh... Hmmm... Even as a Leafs fan I would be happy to see Ottawa make the playoffs. Their run post January has been quite nice. But FUCK Ottawa, you had to give Pittsburgh a point...

Winnipeg won, Calgary won, and LA lost. *woot*

DopeyFish and company should be placed on suicide watch if Toronto rises to 5th last... Toronto has squandered all Carolina's games in hand. Carolina is now only 2 points ahead and Toronto has the ROW tiebreaker, and both teams have played 80 games. Fudge!

Imagine the QQicide I will commit if I angrily demand the leafs to get 4th and they succeed... And Carolina wins the lottery

zroid

Banned
Oh damn, I had seen this story back in January but totally forgot. Now it all makes sense. http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...nderside-of-sports-ownership/article22646466/

Back in November, a few paragraphs of an Associated Press wire story out of Erie, Pa., made their way into Canadian newspapers and websites. The item noted that Sherry Bassin, owner and general manager of the major-junior Erie Otters of the Ontario Hockey League, lost a $4.6-million (U.S.) judgment to Daryl Katz, owner of the NHL’s Edmonton Oilers.

On the face of it, is seemed just another business-deal-gone-bad – the settlement amount was for a loan Katz advanced to Bassin, plus interest, nearly three years earlier. It was before the Otters had drafted the bankable teen phenom Connor McDavid, and Bassin needed the money to prop up the financially struggling franchise. Then, for reasons that weren’t made clear in the wire story, Katz called the loan. Bassin couldn’t pay, so off to court they went.

But a closer look at the dispute and what led to it reveals the indecorous underside of sports franchise ownership, not to mention the fickle relationships between teams and their communities, and the fragile “partnerships” between owners in various leagues. So much for the honour in pro sports.

The details will follow, but in short, Katz made the deal with Bassin not because he was interested in the welfare of fans in Erie. Instead, if he could quietly buy the Otters, he could move them to Hamilton and take control of his ultimate prize – the hockey lease at Copps Coliseum – even though a fellow NHL owner, Michael Andlauer, was the existing leaseholder at the Hamilton arena. Andlauer, who made his fortune in the transportation and logistics industries, has a minority stake in the Montreal Canadiens and also owns their American Hockey League farm team, the Hamilton Bulldogs.

Bassin agreed to be his front man in the Hamilton transaction because Katz insisted on a low profile. No one is saying it straight out, but the timing of Katz’s move on Copps in late 2012 suggests he may have been interested to use the Copps lease as leverage to get more public funding in Edmonton in a deal to build a new downtown arena for his Oilers.

Bassin, now 75, had wanted to sell his hockey team to Katz to pay his debts and ensure his own financial well-being. But he became collateral damage. The Oilers called his loan in June, 2013, demanding he sell the team to pay them back. Even though the Otters have a rebuilt arena, and McDavid’s star power has boosted the team’s attendance to more than 4,700 fans per game (fifth-best in the 20-team league), Bassin didn’t earn enough from operations to pay back the Oilers.

In pushing for a quick sale, the Oilers were still intent on taking over the Otters. Documents show that Katz’s people interfered with Bassin’s attempts to get a new arena lease in Erie in 2013. Katz himself wrote a letter to OHL commissioner David Branch in October, 2014, threatening to make the legal dispute with Bassin public if he did not transfer ownership of the Otters from Bassin to him.

Solo

If we face Boston, this is a realistic possibility.

You're likely going to get Ottawa, which creates a rather fascinating series: league's best team vs league's hottest team.

I'm terrified of Ottawa jumping to the 7 seed and Montreal getting them. We already barely score goals so the last thing we need is to run into a hot goalie. I'm hoping Habs get Pitt or Detroit.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
You're likely going to get Ottawa, which creates a rather fascinating series: league's best team vs league's hottest team.

I'm terrified of Ottawa jumping to the 7 seed and Montreal getting them. We already barely score goals so the last thing we need is a hot goalie. I'm hoping Habs get Pitt or Detroit.

Of course, Ottawa still needs to go through us in order to even get there. We do still have a couple of things to play for (we're one point shy of tying the all-time franchise record, and Hank only has two chances left to get his 30th win), so I don't think we'll completely take our foot off the gas. Though I would still very much expect the Sens to be the far hungrier team. It'll be an interesting one.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Let's dial it back a bit with the hypothetical match ups involving Ottawa, we aren't even in a playoff spot yet :S

zroid

Banned
Whatever the matchups are in the east, I really can't see any series seeming completely one sided.

nope

parity in the east is incredible this year (among playoff teams)

on the other hand the west is kind of a joke, lol. arguably the 3 best teams in the conference are in the Central division. and if you give me a matchup between either the Wild or Jets against the Ducks... errrr... I might pick the Wild or Jets...

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Whatever the matchups are in the east, I really can't see any series seeming completely one sided.

Yeah. I should say that I consider just about anybody in the East as being perfectly capable of knocking us out. Just that a Boston matchup is the only one out of the possible first round options where I feel like our odds of losing may actually be greater than our odds of winning. It's just a bad matchup in terms of styles for us.

If you asked me to organize who I would like to face in the first round from most to least, it would probably look something like:

Pittsburgh
Ottawa
Islanders/Washington
Detroit
Boston

I just can't wait until we're freed from the endless, droning draft talk for a couple of months.

Offseason thread soon... So soon... So very soo- WHY IS IT NOT HERE YET.

Lost in the excitement over the prospect of Kings fans simply not existing for two solid years is the fact that the Kings are incredibly beatable. The Jets will be tough to beat if they end up in the playoffs.

And losing to the Jets is more bearable than the Kings.

Winnipeg would be such a happy little town if they beat the Best in the West Colorado Avalanche Ducks in the yoffs.

Calamari41

41 > 38
Actually, the Ducks are in the Pacific.

The Ducks are 33-10-4 against the Western Conference, and 4 of those losses were against the Sharks. They're 16-4-0 against the Central. The only Central team with a winning record against the Ducks are the Blackhawks, with a 2-1 record against us. The Ducks are 5-1-0 against the other two top 3 teams in the Central. 6-0 against their two current Wild Card spot holders.

The Pacific is not good this year, but the Ducks have done what they need to do in the conference to be considered A Good Team.

Socreges

Banned
nope

on the other hand the west is kind of a joke
, lol. arguably the 3 best teams in the conference are in the Central division. and if you give me a matchup between either the Wild or Jets against the Ducks... errrr... I might pick the Wild or Jets...
Huh?

This post is all kinds of confusing. Look at the standings.

zroid

Banned
Huh?

you should know by now that I'm not a big believer in the standings :p

basically I just mean there aren't any real favourites in the East (imo), whereas there are a handful of teams in the West which I think are significantly better than some others

I guess if I had to pick one team in the East it'd be Tampa, but they have some concerns too... namely goaltending and special teams

Calamari41

41 > 38
Huh?

Yeah, that extreme of a statement makes no sense when you look at the numbers. The difference between #1 and #3 in the Atlantic is 9 points. In the Metropolitan, it's 13 points. Central is 3 points, and Pacific is 12. #1 in the East vs the second Wild Card team is a difference of 16 points. For the West, it's 11 points.

The West has a lot more parity among playoff teams than the East.

Alright.

Here's our lines vs Detroit

Chucky-Pleky-Gally
DSP-Desharnais-Parenteau
De La Rose-Eller-Weise
Prust-Malhotra/Mitchell–Flynn

I feel the Minnesota Wild is going to be at the Stanley Cup Final.

nope

on the other hand the west is kind of a joke, lol. arguably the 3 best teams in the conference are in the Central division. and if you give me a match-up between either the Wild or Jets against the Ducks... errrr... I might pick the Wild or Jets...

Sounds like you're trying to say the Pacific division is a joke (It kinda is). The central division is probably the toughest division in the league considering Minnesota and Winnipeg have 98 and 96 points respectively and can only get wild card spots in comparison to Vancouver and Calgary who have 97 and 95 but are technically ahead of Minnesota and Winnipeg due to how the standings work.

Socreges

Banned
you should know by now that I'm not a big believer in the standings :p

basically I just mean there aren't any real favourites in the East (imo), whereas there are a handful of teams in the West which I think are significantly better than some others
I didn't know that and don't even really understand. You're not a believer in an 82-game sample being representative of relative parity/disparity? So given that the playoffs is even more of a crapshoot, success according to statistical analysis will never actually be borne out? Winners and losers in the NHL will never reflect a certain kind of statistical reality that is the Truth?

And what do you mean "imo"? Since when do statistical facts allow for opinion??

Calamari41

41 > 38
I didn't know that and don't even really understand. You're not a believer in an 82-game sample being representative of relative parity/disparity? So given that the playoffs is even more of a crapshoot, success according to statistical analysis will never actually be borne out? Winners and losers in the NHL will never reflect a certain kind of statistical reality that is the Truth?

We should determine who gets to hoist the Cup through a series of charts so packed with data points that you can't even discern one point from another

zroid

Banned

Sort of. I think an 82 game sample does a very good job of creating granularity between good teams and bad teams (ie playoff teams and non-playoff teams), but not a particularly good job of establishing seeding within the playoffs. Not saying the system needs to change, but looking at the standings isn't in my view a good way to decide which playoff team is better than another playoff team.

I say "imo" because statistics are one thing but integrating and applying is another. It's just my interpretation of the information we have.

Clydefrog

That's cause their lineup is as skilled as the Blackhawks + a better goaltender and no.1 D-man. 2 cups in 3 years is reason enough to be terrified of them.
Edit: and they physically punish you more than anyone else in the West, except for maybe the Jets.

*swoon*

Top Bottom