• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2017 |OT| The Previous Thread is in the Hall of Fame

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Looks like you better join the PS4 mothership.

Would love to play P5, but I that isn't enough. have to many digital games with Xbox, plus my brothers and friends are there as well. Both consoles have way more games than anyone has time for.

Cake Boss

Banned
Its best to just skip these half measured mid gen consoles and wait for the next generation.

I'll pick up a switch this holiday and that should tie me over.

imBask

Banned
Its best to just skip these half measured mid gen consoles and wait for the next generation.

i'm thinking the "next generation" won't exist, that's the problem...it'll be half-step forever and ever

Solo

I'm loving the PS4, so for now I'll stick with it and reevalaute when Switch 2/Scorpio 1.5/PS5 hit in a couple years.

Cake Boss

Banned
But wouldn't these new half assed consoles not even get used to their fullest potential as developers will always develop to the console with the highest fanbase, and maybe include some extra graphic options in the options menu for the other customer?

imBask

Banned
But wouldn't these new half assed consoles not even get used to their fullest potential as developers will always develop to the console with the highest fanbase and maybe include some extra res options in the options menu for the other customer?

yes.

But "it works for phones LOL" seems to be the argument thrown around, failing to understand that your phone does everything, while your console just plays netflix and games

Quick

Banned
Hopefully it isn't more than $600. The days we were on par with the US dollar were the best times.

Unrelated to consoles, but when we were on par with the US dollar, I was working retail. Customers made a fuss because items in our store were priced specifically in Canadian (with labels), which is higher than US prices. Prices weren't determined by us.

A customer asked me for the price of something. I read off the Canadian price, and he just got mad. He just threw the item back at me. lol

Yeah, not sure I'm feeling this half-step trend they're going into. But if my PS4 Pro remains supported through the next 2-4 years, I'll be fine.

Reckheim

Yeh, i'm not buying into this half step bullshit. The ps4 and gaming pc (and switch later) will hold me over until when ever the actual next generation begins.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Unrelated to consoles, but when we were on par with the US dollar, I was working retail. Customers made a fuss because items in our store were priced specifically in Canadian (with labels), which is higher than US prices. Prices weren't determined by us.

A customer asked me for the price of something. I read off the Canadian price, and he just got mad. He just threw the item back at me. lol

I had a funny mental image, either ughhhhh or gtfo while throwing the item back in disgust

Calamari41

41 > 38
yes.

But "it works for phones LOL" seems to be the argument thrown around, failing to understand that your phone does everything, while your console just plays netflix and games

I feel like this strategy can only really work out long-term if Nintendo does it with the Switch. They already have a history of hardware revisions for their handhelds, most recently the New 3DS which had a (relatively) minor performance upgrade. It will be easier for them because they're not about being bleeding edge to begin with, and backwards/forwards compatibility with PC-style fidelity level differences will help solve the library volume problem they've always had.

Cake Boss

Banned
Exactly Nintendo can get that model to work because their platforms are around $200-300, these console revisions are around $400-500 every 3 years now.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Considering Scorpio uses freesync... i'm likely going to replace the monitor I use for my XB1 just for that

What I'm unsure of is whether to go 1080p or 4K for it....

the supersampling and forced 16xAF for 1080p is really fucking tasty

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So basically the Scorpio is a little bit more powerful than a PS4 Pro, a year later, and everything is still going to be bottle-necked by having to function on the vanilla Xbox One anyway, huh?

These "Pro" level consoles just don't really seem worth it in general (and super not worth it if you don't have a 4K TV in the first place, which is most people). We're only a couple years away from a new console generation anyway considering the PS4 and Xbone are already turning 4 this year.

DopeyFish

So basically the Scorpio is a little bit more powerful than a PS4 Pro, a year later, and everything is still going to be bottle-necked by having to function on the vanilla Xbox One anyway, huh?

These "Pro" level consoles just don't really seem worth it in general (and super not worth it if you don't have a 4K TV in the first place, which is most people). We're only a couple years away from a new console generation anyway considering the PS4 and Xbone are already turning 4 this year.

Larger gap between Scorpio and Pro than Xbox One and PS4... and 360 / PS3 ... and a little bit under Xbox / PS2

It's a big enough jump that it makes it the primary multiplatform console without question

Cake Boss

Banned
Larger gap between Scorpio and Pro than Xbox One and PS4... and 360 / PS3 ... and a little bit under Xbox / PS2

It's a big enough jump that it makes it the primary multiplatform console without question

Thats because the Boner was an under performed piece of metal turd.

Plus they need to get their shit together regarding software, not everyone wants to play Forza and Halo every year.

BTails

To be fair, Calgary is very forgettable. I already forgot we played a game against them two days ago.

Let me remind you:

usa_today_9994105.0.jpg

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Assuming most multiplatform developers put real resources into actually taking advantage of that added power, that is. You're much more likely to see Microsoft's own studios tap into it than you will third parties, considering it means diverting resources toward catering to a fraction of the user base of the second-place console, unless high end PC settings are easily ported over (but even then performance on PC rarely seems to be a priority on these big multiplats).

And that big gap in power back to the standard Xbox One doesn't help.

I'm sure the next Halo and Forza are going to look insane on Scorpio, but that doesn't really address the issue Xbox has right now.

DopeyFish

Thats because the Boner was an under performed piece of metal turd.

Plus they need to get their shit together regarding software, not everyone wants to play Forza and Halo every year.

Xbox 360 games should become godlike on scorpio... they all get 16xAF!

Going to be like playing them again for the first time.

Assuming most multiplatform developers put real resources into actually taking advantage of that added power, that is. You're much more likely to see Microsoft's own studios tap into it than you will third parties, considering it means diverting resources toward catering to a fraction of the user base of the second-place console, unless high end PC settings are easily ported over (but even then performance on PC rarely seems to be a priority on these big multiplats).

And that big gap in power back to the standard Xbox One doesn't help.

I'm sure the next Halo and Forza are going to look insane on Scorpio, but that doesn't really address the issue Xbox has right now.

Maybe the best way to put it is...

Games will be built as such in terms of PC:

Xbox One: Low quality
PS4: medium quality
PS4 Pro: high quality
Scorpio: Ultra

You get AA, AF and FreeSync. Regardless of first party IP, you are going to get the best version of every multiplat game without question

BTails

Oh yeah, when your captain shattered the knee of our best defenseman and you celebrated the injury. Kings North.

Oh, I'm not celebrating, I don't like seeing anyone injured. Just don't kid yourself that you've already forgotten about playing us two days ago :)

As for Scorpio, I don't mind the mid-gen upgrades, but Xbox needs more software to make the thing desirable. I barely play my Xbone now, and spend a lot of time with my PS4 Pro.

And the upgrades on the PS4 Pro are awesome. Native 4k for Kingdom Hearts looks incredible.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Xbox 360 games should become godlike on scorpio... they all get 16xAF!

Going to be like playing them again for the first time.

Maybe the best way to put it is...

Games will be built as such in terms of PC:

Xbox One: Low quality
PS4: medium quality
PS4 Pro: high quality
Scorpio: Ultra

You get AA, AF and FreeSync. Regardless of first party IP, you are going to get the best version of every multiplat game without question

I can buy that. If nothing else the supersampling sounds like a major benefit.

Socreges

Banned
Leafs may not clinch tonight (is TJ out for the Lightning?) but I think they'll definitely clinch on Friday. Pens have nothing to play for. Same with the BJs.

DopeyFish

Leafs may not clinch tonight (is TJ out for the Lightning?) but I think they'll definitely clinch on Friday. Pens have nothing to play for. Same with the BJs.

Pens and Columbus are playing for home ice

Thats why i want pens to win and columbus to lose today in case tampa wins

Do you still work for Microsoft, Dopey?

I never worked at MS. msxbox.com and teamxbox.com is the peeps I was with.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Anyone know where I can find this hat? I dont know much about NHL, but a friend is a huge fan. Thought it would be nice to surprise him with one.

Curufinwe

Sony fanboys are making that Scorpio topic unreadable lol

Says the biggest Xbox fanboy on this forum. Well, maybe second biggest after Senjutsu Sage and his sad delusions of Zen.

Are we really supposed to take your opinion of the power gap seriously after this?

1) not underpowered. still smallest power gap of any generation.

imBask

Banned
If we were fighting for a playoff spot, even if he had a broken everything, Weber would still be in the lineup

#RealWarrior
#Grit
#GoodCanadianBoy

DopeyFish

Says the biggest Xbox fanboy on this forum.

Well, maybe second biggest after Senjutsu Sage and his sad delusions of Zen.

Kind of funny you should say that. I'm a PC fanboy. The reason I became an Xbox fan was because console gaming was a joke and shitty companies like Sony took nothing seriously. Nowadays you stand behind basically copies of Xbox/360 consoles and fight over such stupid details.

Also at one point did I say PS4/ Pro was underpowered you clown? The whole point of the original post I made was to show how unrelenting Sony fans are in their stupidity and hypocrisy. The power gap between X1 and PS4 was smaller and it was considered "massive" and now it's a "minor jump".

You still keep feebly trying to make points like I care about your worthless opinion.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What are the odds of me getting playoff tickets during the general sale? The last time I went to a playoff game we got the tickets through a friend, so I don't know how difficult it will be to try and get some myself.

imBask

Banned
What are the odds of me getting playoff tickets during the general sale? The last time I went to a playoff game we got the tickets through a friend, so I don't know how difficult it will be to try and get some myself.

The last 2 times I tried, scalpers got them all before I could make it to the ticket selection page

Edit: tickets go on sale tonight, there was one pre-sale and Stubhub is already FILLED with tickets on sale

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The last 2 times I tried, scalpers got them all before I could make it to the ticket selection page

Edit: tickets go on sale tonight, there was one pre-sale and Stubhub is already FILLED with tickets on sale
How bad are the scalper prices? I don't mind paying a little more

BTails

I'm entered into about three different draws with the RIGHTS to buy playoff tickets for the Flames. Alberta goes crazy for the 'yoffs. Thankfully one of my coworkers is a season ticket holder and happy to sell his playoff tickets, hence having locked up Home Game 1 already.

Maybe I'll buy a pair for the second round.

Flames aren't gonna make the second round :(

Top Bottom