• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April |OT| The End

Status
Not open for further replies.

Socreges

Banned
Barbie ‏ @BlinksBarbie Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
@Logancouture give it to Clowe in the ass tonight
10m Barbie ‏ @BlinksBarbie Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
@SanJoseSharks fuck you and Ryan Clowe I hope your plane crashes!
Barbie ‏ @BlinksBarbie Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Penguin fans are so over dramatic! Hope Philly whoops your ass! #waynetrain

lol

And this one:

adsouza93 : If the #LAKings can score after time has expired, why can't Ryan Clowe play the puck from the bench? #HockeyGodsHardAtWork #KarmaIsABitch
Completely forgot about that.

Acid08

Banned
It's Ryane people of twitter. Why don't they know how to spell his first name?

lol

edit:

Soc, those tweets are pretty wonderful.

Mii

Banned
Think big picture.

Kings/Sharks both have 6 points from their season series, so let's call that a wash. They're equally likely to win the game. So then you have to look at scenarios involving Phoenix.

If the Kings win in regulation, they win the division if Phoenix gets 0-3 points.
If the Sharks win in regulation, they win the division if Phoenix gets 0-2 points.

It's more complicated with LA vs Phoenix and I might actually be wrong. I'm sure there's a site out there that has the actual odds.

Season record vs each other: Kings 8 points vs Phoenix 7 points
Season record vs each other: Phoenix 9 points vs Sharks 4 points

Kings Win in regulation (96 points, 35 ROW), Sharks lose (94 points, 33 ROW)
2 Phoenix regulation/OT wins (97 points 36 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, LA 7th, SJ 8th
1 regulation/OT win 1 SO win (97 points 35 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, , LA 7th, SJ 8th
1 regulation/OT win 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 35 ROW) - Kings Division Win, PHX 7th, SJ 8th
1 SO Win, 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 34 ROW) - Kings Division Win, PHX 7th, SJ 8th
2 OT/SO losses (95 points, 34 ROW) - Kings Division Win, PHX 7th, SJ 8th
1 regulation loss, 1 OT/SO loss (94 points, 34 ROW) - Kings Division Win, PHX 7th, SJ 8th
2 regulation losses (93 points, 34 ROW) - Kings Division Win, SJ 7th, PHX 8th

Kings Win in OT (96 points, 35 ROW), Sharks lose (95 points, 33 ROW)
2 Phoenix regulation/OT wins (97 points 36 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, LA 7th, SJ 8th
1 regulation/OT win 1 SO win (97 points 35 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, LA 7th, SJ 8th
1 regulation/OT win 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 35 ROW) - Kings Division Win, LA 7th, SJ 8th
1 SO Win, 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 34 ROW) - Kings Division Win, PHX 7th, SJ 8th
1 regulation loss, 1 OT/SO loss (94 points, 34 ROW) - Kings Division Win, SJ 7th, PHX 8th

Kings Win in SO (96 points, 34 ROW), Sharks lose (95 points, 33 ROW)
1 regulation/OT win 1 SO win (97 points 35 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, LA 7th, SJ 8t
1 regulation/OT win 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 35 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, LA 7th, SJ 8t
1 regulation loss, 1 OT/SO loss (94 points, 34 ROW) - Kings Division Win, SJ 7th, PHX 8th

Sharks Win in Regulation (96 points, 34 ROW), LA loses (94 points, 34 ROW)
2 Phoenix regulation/OT wins (97 points 36 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, SJ 7th, LA 8th
1 regulation/OT win 1 SO win (97 points 35 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, SJ 7th, LA 8th
1 regulation/OT win 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 35 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win
1 SO Win, 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 34 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win
2 OT/SO losses (95 points, 34 ROW) - Sharks Division Win, PHX 7th, LA 8th
1 regulation loss, 1 OT/SO loss (94 points, 34 ROW) - Sharks Division Win, LA 7th, PHX 8th
2 regulation losses (93 points, 34 ROW) - Sharks Division Win, LA 7th, PHX 8th

Sharks Win in OT (96 points, 34 ROW), LA loses (95 points, 34 ROW)
2 Phoenix regulation/OT wins (97 points 36 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, SJ 7th, LA 8th
1 regulation/OT win 1 SO win (97 points 35 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, SJ 7th, LA 8th
1 regulation/OT win 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 35 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, SJ 7th, LA 8th
1 SO Win, 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 34 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, SJ 7th, LA 8th
2 OT/SO losses (95 points, 34 ROW) - Sharks Division Win, LA 7th, PHX 8th
1 regulation loss, 1 OT/SO loss (94 points, 34 ROW) - Sharks Division Win, LA 7th, PHX 8th

Sharks Win in SO (96 points, 33 ROW), LA loses (95 points, 34 ROW)
1 regulation/OT win 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 35 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, SJ 7th, LA 8th
1 SO Win, 1 OT/SO loss (96 points, 34 ROW) - Phoenix Division Win, SJ 7th, LA 8th
2 OT/SO losses (95 points, 34 ROW) - Sharks Division Win, LA 7th, PHX 8th

Assuming all instances above have equal potential of occurrence:
42 total outcomes
9 instances of Sharks Division win
14 instances of Kings Division win
19 instances of Phoenix Division win

Using equivalent weighting of potential ending outcomes, Phoenix is the most likely division winner. However, assuming equal weighting of ending results is a bit weird.

It is odd to think of the above as all having equal weighting. We could come up with weighting of regulation wins and losses vs OT and wins and losses vs SO wins and losses. However, whats to say we shouldn't start weighting home games vs away games, prior records of upcoming opponents, etc?

Whats your preferred set of other factors, and what importance would you put to them? For instance, if we assume a higher likelihood of one of the above outcomes results from number of home games, San Jose would be in excellent shape considering LA will be away and all Phoenix games remaining are on the road.

Acid08

Banned
Video isolated and put up on NHL.com already: http://video.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=170443

Wonder if there'll be any word officially on it. Suspension/fine is ridiculous but I think it needs to be addressed for sure.

I'm looking forward to seeing if LeBrun writes anything about it, his Sharks articles are usually pretty interesting.

I think he has to worry about the game on Saturday more than any official thing the NHL could do. He's going to be the biggest target on the team.

Socreges

Banned
Mii,

First off, holy shit. I hope you can see now why I was guessing about LA/Phoenix and unwilling to plot it out.

Like you pointed out, it's weird to give equal weight to all scenarios and also weird to ignore certain factors like home ice. But that's where it becomes awfully complex and so... kinda tedious. Do you want to work out how much more unlikely it is that certain SO scenarios happen versus certain regulation win scenarios. Be my guest. ;)

Acid08

Banned
SE-Clowe.gif

Sharks HFBoards(yeah I know) playoff avatars. Thought some posters in here might be able to appreciate them lol

Socreges

Banned
Been a while since a post of mine was a fraction that size.

I appreciate it, though. No fluff. Lays it all out, good arguments. I'd always take a post like that over FortunateSon's sandy vagina discharging reject clumps into text form.

Puddles

Banned
That was such a stupid game by the Kings. At least two of the penalties that led to Sharks PP goals were completely random and unforced, particularly the goalie interference call and the penalty on Scuderi for knocking the puck over the glass. Two easily avoidable goals right there; even one of those things not happening would have turned this into a win. Kopitar getting called for tripping to set up the Havlat PP goal was also quite infuriating, as there was absolutely no need to take that penalty.

Stupid avoidable penalties completely ruined a game in which the Kings generally looked like the better team.

Acid08

Banned
That was such a stupid game by the Kings. At least two of the penalties that led to Sharks PP goals were completely random and unforced, particularly the goalie interference call and the penalty on Scuderi for knocking the puck over the glass. Two easily avoidable goals right there; even one of those things not happening would have turned this into a win. Kopitar getting called for tripping to set up the Havlat PP goal was also quite infuriating, as there was absolutely no need to take that penalty.

Stupid avoidable penalties completely ruined a game in which the Kings generally looked like the better team.

Clearly the better team through the first two periods but the Sharks matched, and sometimes exceeded, the Kings in the third and OT.

Really nice write up for all the scenarios, care to do one for the Hawks?;)

But as you say the weightings are really weird.

If we say that it comes down to Pheonix needing atleast 1 point in the last game, there is, following you line of thought(i think):
Regulation loss: don't make it
Regulation/OT win: make it
OT/SO loss: make it
SO win: make it

Then that would mean that they are 3 times as likely to get a point in the game as in loosing, which seems way to much since not even the best teams have gotten a point in more then 3 times the games they lost.(my point isn't really that 3 times more is too much just that the scenarios aren't equally likely, just as you said)

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
That Tortorella interview from last night was dead on.

Glad to see some coaches finally starting to talk about it publicly.

What was it about?

He went off on the Penguins.

"It's a cheap, dirty hit. I wonder what would happen if we did it to their two whining stars over there. I wonder what would happen. So I'm anxious to see what happens with the League over this. Just no respect among players. None. It's sickening."
"It's one of the most arrogant organizations in the league. They whine about this stuff all the time, and look what happens."
"It's ridiculous. But they'll whine about something else over there, won't they, starting with their two (expletive) stars."

Hari Seldon

He went off on the Penguins.

Yeah his typical ranting and raving when his team plays like shit. Everyone is after the Pens now that they are at full strength. Saying stupid shit is out of fear. The pens didn't whine like a little bitch when Rupp did the same fucking thing on Staal earlier in the season, and they sure as hell were trying to sign Orpik when he was a UFA.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I really thought that it was a foregone conclusion that we'd be playing the Sens, but now that the Caps are realistically in the mix... ehh. Doesn't matter how bad that team is, they always seem to give us trouble.

Go Sens! Sorry we beat you last night. :(

I really thought that it was a foregone conclusion that we'd be playing the Sens, but now that the Caps are realistically in the mix... ehh. Doesn't matter how bad that team is, they always seem to give us trouble.

Go Sens! Sorry we beat you last night. :(

I'm hoping for a loss tomorrow and a Washington win.

I don't want to see the Bruins again til next season.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I really hope Anaheim and NYI win their next game and the leafs lose in regulation :(

That way we pick 1st, 4th or 5th

Instead of 1st, 6th or 7th

And at 4th, we'd likely get one of the 3 forwards (as I'm sure Edmonton will go for a D)

At 4th, leafs could deal with Edmonton to get their pick (by dangling a D-man)

Why did we win last night :-((((((

Dat Clowe stick lol. It should be rule. Puck is near the bench and all the sticks come out and play it. It would be amazing.

I want to know what went through his mind to do that.

Woke up and dat "x". Actually feels good now seeing the reactions out there. Now for Sat.

Isn't Phoenix the only other playoff team that would be preferable? Not many duds this year. I was hoping for Dallas or Colorado to sneak in.

Phoenix maybe, we have played ok against them this year early on, but I really don't feel like playing Phoenix for a third straight year. I think we might be able to take LA if we actually step up our play. However, for some reason the Sharks just have our number even when the Sharks suck, I blame Todd for knowing our whole system.

SE-Clowe.gif

Sharks HFBoards(yeah I know) playoff avatars. Thought some posters in here might be able to appreciate them lol

That is so perfect.

I have never seen a more negative fanbase than the Sharks.

Seriously, I feel like I have been insulted here.

Cake Boss

Banned
LOL Torts is my hero, just says whats on his mind and never gives a fuck, this league needs more of that instead of the cookie cutter shit we get.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL Torts is my hero, just says whats on his mind and never gives a fuck, this league needs more of that instead of the cookie cutter shit we get.

Absolutely.

I absolutely loved Brett Hull on NHL on NBC. He'd say whatever was on his mind and didn't care a bit.

Yup, love how he just says what is on his mind, no hiding it at all. Did he get fined though by chance for those comments? Wouldn't surprise me if he did actually.

Heretic

Drove by Jobing.com arena last night on my way to the Grand Canyon. I'm in Scottsdale, AZ right now and this place feels so deserted. There wasn't a single car on the road last night. Granted it was around 1 am but still.

Alucard

Banned
I respect Tortorella for speaking his mind, but I don't really agree with all of his premises.

1. "It was a dirty hit." (Agree for the most part)
2. The Penguins have "two whiny superstars." (Half agree)
3. The Penguins "always whine." (Disagree)
4. The Penguins are "one of the most arrogant organizations in the league. (Disagree)
5. Malkin and Crosby "will whine about something soon." (Disagree)

He's hot-headed and just went off spouting whatever he was feeling at the time. It doesn't mean he's right.

Between this and Berube's garbage, the only people who seem to actually be whining lately are OTHER teams...not the Penguins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=RRuTlKdzeT8

Futureman

what does "two whining stars" mean? I understand people think that about Crosby... but who else is he talking about? Malkin LOL.

The caption at the bottom tells it all. "NYR: 4 straight losses to PIT"

Puddles

Banned
Clearly the better team through the first two periods but the Sharks matched, and sometimes exceeded, the Kings in the third and OT.

I've gotta say, the Sharks PP looked scary good last night. The Kings have been a pretty good PK team this year for the most part, but we looked pretty helpless against some of those goals.

Futureman

Tort's wife: "Do you like the pasta, John?"
Torts: "Do I like your pasta? Your pasta is trash. You're effort tonight is fucking pathetic. Worthless."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom