• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2013 |OT| I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas

Parch

Then surely Orpik knows sucker punching is against the code, and figured the honourable Thorton would "make him pay" within the rules of the game?
Thornton tried, but Orpik skated away because he didn't want to conform to the rules of the game.

Acid08

Banned
Every sport has it. Especially every team sport. There are some things you just don't do. The consequences might not be a fight, but there are some things you just don't do out of respect for your teammates and your opponents.
Yeah but it isn't nearly as prevalent as you're saying. Dirty shit happens constantly so this "code" is flawed and bullshit. I'm supposed to believe players policing themselves is the best policy when it has only lead to more garbage. Nah.

You can take your fucking code and shove it up your ass

This whole code excuse thing is an embarrassment to the league. I'd there was an actual code of honor among players you wouldn't see dirty hits anyway.

I am shamed to be a hockey fan when I see shit like that, I can't explain it to friends or parents or anyone why that kind of behavior is being defended, its disgusting and makes it look fucking bush league.

I'm more ashamed when I see guys like Orpik deliver brutal hits to defenseless players, and then watch the league and much of the fan base act as if everything is a-ok.

Just because the NFL has made billions off of destroying the brains of thousands of men, doesn't mean the NHL, and hockey in general, needs to as well.

(Samyy, this isn't against you, but against the pervasive mentality that hits like the one Orpik delivered on Eriksson are just 'clean')

PS edit, of course, the very idea of a player managed code of conduct is ridiculous at best, and anarchical at worst.

Sanjuro

Yeah but it isn't nearly as prevalent as you're saying. Dirty shit happens constantly so this "code" is flawed and bullshit. I'm supposed to believe players policing themselves is the best policy when it has only lead to more garbage. Nah.

It's all garbage. Players vs. "TheCodeBros" vs. Bettman vs. NHLPA vs. Europe vs. Phoenix vs. Dogs & Cats Living Together.

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

image.php

Sanjuro

I'm more ashamed when I see guys like Orpik deliver brutal hits to defenseless players, and then watch the league and much of the fan base act as if everything is a-ok.

Just because the NFL has made billions off of destroying the brains of thousands of men, doesn't mean the NHL, and hockey in general, needs to as well.

(Samyy, this isn't against you, but against the pervasive mentality that hits like the one Orpik delivered on Eriksson are just 'clean')

PS edit, of course, the very idea of a player managed code of conduct is ridiculous at best, and anarchical at worst.

The NHL hasn't made huge profits off fighting? It's the primary draw of the league.

BRING IN CHRIS JOHNCENA.

Samyy

I agree with you about the hits we really need harsher league administered punishments or this shit won't stop.

Give the guys a quarter of the season and see how quickly they do it again.

I agree with you about the hits we really need harsher league administered punishments or this shit won't stop.

Give the guys a quarter of the season and see how quickly they do it again.

Absolutely.

I don't understand why the PA isn't pushing for harsher suspensions after dangerous hits. Do they really think people would rather watch guys like Orpik play than Eriksson or, sigh, Marchand?

edit: Quarter season suspensions might not be feasible, but why not 15 games?

Sanjuro

Absolutely.

I don't understand why the PA isn't pushing for harsher suspensions after dangerous hits. Do they really think people would rather watch guys like Orpik play than Eriksson or, sigh, Marchand?

Because the players would lose money, the NHLPA would lose money, and that's just not happening.

Edwards lost his mind when the crowd booed that penalty.

haha, yeah he did.

Sanjuro

I guess that is the onions of it all.

Yeah, it's not a win-win scenario for really anyone.

My consistent point is the hypocritical nature. I love this brand of the sport, have since I was a kid. I can enter conversation about hits and such, but I can't act "too" shocked on the subject as I support this brand. Same reason people who are against fighting/hits in the game, because they are watching a brand they don't entirely support.

Best you can do is wish for is some consistency down the road.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Wait a minute, 24/7 isn't going to air on HBO Canada at all and will only air censored on Sportsnet here?

Fuck you Rogers!

Samyy

Absolutely.

edit: Quarter season suspensions might not be feasible, but why not 15 games?

Yea well they just have to stop giving these guys 2-4 games

People defending Thornton with this "Code" nonsense are on a different fucking planet. I guess every hard, clean hit needs to be proceeded by a fight now. Even Thornton knows he made a mistake.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
PJ Stock taking clues from Don Cherry in the suit department.

Parch

Dude's tough. Maybe a little freeze spray, tape it up and get back out there.
That finger is going to hurt tomorrow.

pringles

24/7 is so good.

Phaneuf is a huge douche. Elisha you can do better.

Carlyle's toast and Tatar reading the lineup was hilarious.
Lack of Kessel and Datsyuk must be remedied in coming eps.

Babs > Carlyle is 1st impression.

Top Bottom