• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2013 |OT| I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas

Parch

It's not entirely a blame-the-victim situation. If Orpik choses to fight or just grab on, it's done, it's over. Maybe he's playing with a fat lip instead of out with concussion.

Nobody is defending Thornton. He did lose his shit and he's paying the price. Of course Orpik isn't responsible for Thornton losing his shit, but the serious injury could have been prevented if he followed the expectations of the game.

You don't take a head shot at a star without consequences. He was going to be confronted about it. Sure enough, some dummy takes it too far and does something stupid, but Orpik knows damn well he was going to be confronted and he wasn't going to get away with what he did by skating away.

No matter what you think about "the code" and agree or disagree, it exists. Orpik knows damn well it exists. If you're going to play the game, you have to play the unwritten rules of the game as well.

Samyy

It's not entirely a blame-the-victim situation. If Orpik choses to fight or just grab on, it's done, it's over. Maybe he's playing with a fat lip instead of out with concussion.

Nobody is defending Thornton. He'd lose his shit and he's paying the price. Of course Orpik isn't responsible for Thornton losing his shit, but the serious injury could have been prevented if he followed the expectations of the game.

You don't take a head shot at a star without consequences. He was going to be confronted about it. Sure enough, some dummy takes it too far and does something stupid, but Orpik knows damn well he was going to be confronted and he wasn't going to get away with what he did by skating away.

No matter what you think about "the code" and agree or disagree, it exists. Orpik knows damn well it exists. If you're going to play the game, you have to play the unwritten rules of the game as well.

You can take your fucking code and shove it up your ass

This whole code excuse thing is an embarrassment to the league. I'd there was an actual code of honor among players you wouldn't see dirty hits anyway.

I am shamed to be a hockey fan when I see shit like that, I can't explain it to friends or parents or anyone why that kind of behavior is being defended, its disgusting and makes it look fucking bush league.

Sanjuro

That is the lost concept that many are missing. Regardless if they want to agree with it, players will continue to police hits as long as fighting/hits are still a part of the professional game. That's a primary reason why I don't want to compare this to a real-world court system. As I said before, it's a tough subject to tackle from all angles in various scenarios. Hypocritical even at times.

You can take your fucking code and shove it up your ass

You've already made your point. Orpik, Thornton, Neal would all have lifetime bans in your version of hockey. You don't like this particular brand of the sport, so the argument is going to be altered.

Sanjuro

WAIT WHAT DID KES AND IGGY ACTUALLY GO FISDACUFFS ON EACH OTHER? IM NOT AT A TV AND I NEED TO KNOW

It didn't last long. They both threw there fucking gloves down, ready for a epic battle surpassing all of the Matrix films.

Kesler got in a couple good shots, but the refs cockblocked the whole affair. Iginla looked pissed that it was called off and went beyond the bench.

snack

It didn't last long. They both threw there fucking gloves down, ready for a epic battle surpassing all of the Matrix films.

Kesler got in a couple good shots, but the refs cockblocked the whole affair. Iginla looked pissed that it was called off and went beyond the bench.
Fucking refs. They stop the best shit.

Sanjuro

Nobody answered my snack dilemma!? I'm too conflicted now.

Fucking refs. They stop the best shit.

Yup. Another reason you'll never find me wanting to remove hits/fighting from the game.

Both players were high energy and looked excited to go.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

More like iginla injured himself and went to the dressing room

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Nobody is defending Thornton. He did lose his shit and he's paying the price. Of course Orpik isn't responsible for Thornton losing his shit, but the serious injury could have been prevented if he followed the expectations of the game.

Then surely Orpik knows sucker punching is against the code, and figured the honourable Thorton would "make him pay" within the rules of the game?

Parch

Every sport has it. Especially every team sport. There are some things you just don't do. The consequences might not be a fight, but there are some things you just don't do out of respect for your teammates and your opponents.

Sanjuro

Then surely Orpik knows sucker punching is against the code, and figured the honourable Thorton would "make him pay" within the rules of the game?

I don't buy into "the code" nonsense. I just know players police hits and it's pointless to pretend it's not there. Semantics I guess, but I don't prefer a player explaining in detail how they go about things. Either way, Thorton's career is almost over and likely doesn't have one if this brand of sport was any other. He is an enforcer largely there for that sole purpose.

Still stupid judgement anyway.

Top Bottom