• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2013 |OT| I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Need to avatar bet Tabris so that he has to use a Marchand ring kiss avatar for the rest of eternity.

I offered to Avatar-bet Leafs-GAF for the last Canucks-Leafs game....

... okay, that was a pretty safe bet, but still. Maybe Tabris will avatar bet the next one.

Maybe SFU just has dumber people.

That's not how Grad Inflation works. But then you also went there, so.... who knows, really...

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seeing Smiths reaction to Gallaghers goalie shenanigans will be more entertaining then the actual game itself I imagine.

Osorio

Watching 24/7...

Holy crap at the empty seats at Joe Louis, and that's just lower bowl. But five minutes before they'd mentioned a 180th consecutive sellout? So do they give these tix away and hundreds don't bother showing up?

It's been that way for years.

Watching 24/7...

Holy crap at the empty seats at Joe Louis, and that's just lower bowl. But five minutes before they'd mentioned a 180th consecutive sellout? So do they give these tix away and hundreds don't bother showing up?

Ask a Red Wings fan and they'll have a hundred excuses.

"OH THEY'RE WALKING THE CONCOURSE"
"THEY'RE ON THE WAY THERE"
"TRAFFIC IS ALWAYS BAD AROUND THE JOE"
"CORPORATE DOESN'T GIVE THE SEATS AWAY LIKE THEY SHOULD"
"IT'S NOT THE WINGS' FAULT"

Bullshit. Hockeytown, USA my ass. Travel up to Warroad and you'll see the real hockeytown, fucking posers.

Acid08

Banned
Sounds like Backes is out tonight, kinda sucks. He's usually good for 20 or so PIMs against us because he can't control himself.

Bullshit. Hockeytown, USA my ass. Travel up to Warroad and you'll see the real hockeytown, fucking posers.

Minnesota wouldn't be the next in line for that title, my friend.

On TSN:

Ferraro "I don't think there's a chance that David Bolland hits the open market. I think he gets 6 years for $30 million

1fdx6Tr.gif

Minnesota wouldn't be the next in line for that title, my friend.

In the U.S.? Is that a joke?

What other state has better all around hockey than Minnesota? From top to bottom, Mites to Pros, the level of dedication of fans of hockey in Minnesota is bar none better than literally every other state in the United States of America.

Sure, other states have better professional teams or better professional followings, but you'll never have a state hockey tournament of 14-18 year old kids sell out an 18,000+ seat arena for three days on end in any other state.

Minnesota also has some of the highest quality college hockey in the country, with the Gophers, UMD, St Cloud, Mankato, and Bemidji all as full-flight D1 programs. The Gophers, UMD, and St Cloud have been college hockey power houses for years, and in the Gophers' case, decades.

Go up to Roseau, International Falls, Warroad, Baudette, or Thief River Falls, and you see people getting bank loans or mortgaging homes to pay for their kids' hockey. Or you'll see parents picking up seasonal winter jobs to pay for hockey. Parents use all their vacation days from November to March just getting fridays or mondays off for tournaments down in the cities. Parents work their jobs around their kids hockey schedules. For peewees. For bantams. That isn't just odd-job occasional parents from the varsity team, either. It's the majority of parents around there from elementary school age kids to high school. It's the norm there.

And that's not even counting the dominance of big cities teams, like Edina, Eden Prairie, BSM, or Minnetonka that produces some of the best hockey players in the United States on a yearly basis.

And none of that is even counting Shattuck St Marys, which really shouldn't count for Minnesota Hockey, yet that school produced some of the best players in today's NHL, (Crosby, MacKinnon among others) and is consistently full of Minnesotans.

I mean, you can call me out and call Blackhawks fans or Bruins fans or whoever better than Wild fans and I'll probably agree but I don't see any argument about the top-to-bottom dominance of Minnesota hockey over every other state in the union.

Red_Man

It's more the fucking insane identity that people (Wild fans who I know in person) seem to think they own with that stupid self-title.
Sounds similar to Leaf fans and the whole "Center of the hockey universe" bs that Lupul referred to in 24/7

pringles

Red Wings fans forget that the Ducks are horrible at J-Lo arena...
Unfortunately, so are the Wings this season... 5-8-6 at home.

Socreges said:
Watching 24/7...

Corporate seats/spoiled fans/people getting gunned down outside the arena

take your pick.

Osorio

It's more the fucking insane identity that people (Wild fans who I know in person) seem to think they own with that stupid self-title.

If you look at history in terms of player registration numbers and cultural identity why wouldn't they call themselves that? The only other state I can think of with a resume close to Minnesota's is Massachusetts.

If you look at history in terms of player registration numbers and cultural identity why wouldn't they call themselves that? The only other state I can think of with a resume close to Minnesota's is Massachusetts.

I couldn't give a shit what they call themselves. It's the attitude that comes along with it.

On a less serious note:

Welcome to the state of hockey.

Population: 5.37 million
Cups: -1

I certainly see this though, too.

While I do believe that Minnesota has the best all around hockey(if that wasn't obvious enough from my book above), I can recognize that other states are close(Michigan, Massachusetts) or on their way there(Colorado, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania).

Some Minnesotans don't think anywhere else is close and truly believe that it will never change.

The absolute worst, though, are Wild fans(I use the term loosely) who say the Wild have been bad since ever because they need more Minnesotans on the team. That having a roster of all Minnesotans and only Minnesotans would somehow make the Wild a powerhouse. Yeah, sure, it would be nice but come on.

I couldn't give a shit what they call themselves. It's the attitude that comes along with it.

On a less serious note:

Welcome to the state of hockey.

Population: 5.37 million
Cups: -1

We've had a team for thirteen years. With an owner and GM combo that absolutely wasted the talent of prime Gaborik + others for years.

The Stars were finally beginning to turn it around but a completely asshole of an owner decided Minnesota wasn't good enough and did his very best to move the team away from here and eventually succeeded. A good portion of the core that ended up winning the cup for Dallas was built in Minnesota.

I mean, I get the what you're saying but it's not all about professional hockey here. Its the other stuff that matters too.

Acid08

Banned
I know my family in Michigan doesn't go to Wings games anymore because they hate going into Detroit. They're shitty white people though so it's not surprising.

They should just move out of the city.

Heretic

OH SNAP!

Smiley90

I certainly see this though, too.

While I do believe that Minnesota has the best all around hockey(if that wasn't obvious enough from my book above), I can recognize that other states are close(Michigan, Massachusetts) or on their way there(Colorado, Wisconsin, Pennsylvania).

Some Minnesotans don't think anywhere else is close and truly believe that it will never change.

The absolute worst, though, are Wild fans(I use the term loosely) who say the Wild have been bad since ever because they need more Minnesotans on the team. That having a roster of all Minnesotans and only Minnesotans would somehow make the Wild a powerhouse. Yeah, sure, it would be nice but come on.

ROFL this is a thing? Do you guys have a Ron Berry, too?

I know my family in Michigan doesn't go to Wings games anymore because they hate going into Detroit. They're shitty white people though so it's not surprising.

They should just move out of the city.

racist.

To be fair, I also wouldn't go into Detroit unless forced.

ROFL this is a thing? Do you guys have a Ron Berry, too?

It's not as bad as Cherry, but read comments on the star tribune articles on the Wild and you'll see stuff like "Koivu doesn't deserve captaincy - he's a mentally weak European. Parise, good ol' Minnesotan boy deserves the 'C'!"

And a host of other similar things. There's an argument to be made to switch who has the C, but most Minnesotans argue for the wrong reasons. Which I guess is similar to Cherry.

Smiley90

If the Blues had to ice players from Missouri, that would mean the return of Cam Janssen. I have to puke now.

The Canucks would get... uh...

Benn-RNH-Kane
Ladd-Turris-Lucic(ha!)
Brouwer-Johansen-Santorelli

Weber-Hamhuis
Seabrook-Garrison
Mitchell-Jackman

Price
Jones

......... could be worse.

Red_Man

The Canucks would get... uh...

Benn-RNH-Kane
Ladd-Turris-Lucic(ha!)
Brouwer-Johansen-Santorelli

Weber-Hamhuis
Seabrook-Garrison
Mitchell-Jackman

Price
Jones

......... could be worse.
Gorges and Gallagher as well.

Habs would basically create an all star team from Quebec players.

It's not as bad as Cherry, but read comments on the star tribune articles on the Wild and you'll see stuff like "Koivu doesn't deserve captaincy - he's a mentally weak European. Parise, good ol' Minnesotan boy deserves the 'C'!"

And a host of other similar things. There's an argument to be made to switch who has the C, but most Minnesotans argue for the wrong reasons. Which I guess is similar to Cherry.

Cherry doesn't think Landsekog should be the captain because he is Swedish. :p

Avs would get Ben Bishop and BJ Crombeen. And those are the ones on the list most mentionable.

Seth Jones?

Top Bottom