• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2013 |OT| I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas

Sanjuro

Tom Wilson will not be suspended. Wow.

mUjt3nT.gif

face, meet desk. Desk, meet face.

Bettman, meet the guy that's gonna die in this league in the next 5 years. Or turn into a vegetable.

edit: quick reminder for everyone, this is a non-suspendable play:

bLo1FnG.gif

I think he does a good job explaining the reasoning in the video but I wouldn't have been surprised if he got a couple games.

Samyy

Well off to India, enjoy the Leafs guys......lol

Nonis thinks we have defensive problems because its not fun to play defence.....lol

Cake Boss

Banned
I am sorry but that schenn's fault for turning at the last second and basically presenting his back to Wilson instead of his shoulder, plus his fault for going that fucking slow.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think he does a good job explaining the reasoning in the video but I wouldn't have been surprised if he got a couple games.

It's still an incredibly dangerous play that he shouldn't have made. Schenn could have (or may have, if Philly doctors weren't shit) easily gotten a concussion or worse there. In which case there probably WOULD have been a suspension. But because Schenn is "seemingly fine", it's nothing. And that's a bullshit way of trying to keep your players save and establishing a suspension guideline.

"oh yeah it was incredibly dangerous, but he's fine, so whatever. we'll deal with it once someone dies I guess"

ZeroGravity

The NHL's suspension policy is a horrible amalgamation of inconsistency, victim blaming, and injury being a factor where it doesn't belong. A dangerous play is a dangerous play.

How is that Wilson hit even suspendable? He didn't charge at him anf Schenn saw Wilson coming the whole way, hence why he turned last second to brace for the hit.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Mom calls me up today telling me she won some tickets to tonight's Avalanche game. Been way too long since I made it to a game.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The NHL's suspension policy is a horrible amalgamation of inconsistency, victim blaming, and injury being a factor where it doesn't belong. A dangerous play is a dangerous play.
Exactly. No consistency in this league, and players never know what to expect or if they've gone too far. This lack of discipline and consistency is going to look pretty ridiculous a few years from now.

How is that Wilson hit even suspendable? He didn't charge at him anf Schenn saw Wilson coming the whole way, hence why he turned last second to brace for the hit.
That's a very blatant charge....watch the full video instead of the gif

Smiley90

I did watch the video, a charge is three strides right into a hit. Wilson took at least two and hit Schenn. You can make an argument for that being a boarding call but its certainly not a charge.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26331: "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice."

Wilson was incredibly fast as a result of distance traveled, had Schenn lined up and violently checked him into the boards. It was at least charging, if not also boarding.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
They do realize there's gonna be like 100x more stick blades getting caught in those ugly ass skates, right? I mean, seriously. How dumb are they?

http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26331: "Charging shall mean the actions of a player who, as a result of distance traveled, shall violently check an opponent in any manner. A “charge” may be the result of a check into the boards, into the goal frame or in open ice."

Wilson was incredibly fast as a result of distance traveled, had Schenn lined up and violently checked him into the boards. It was at least charging, if not also boarding.

Doesn't matter how its written up, you're free to disagree with me but refs will usually call a charge after three strides. But say Wilson gets suspended for it, does the leagur now say that teams can't go in hard on the forecheck now?

Smiley90

Doesn't matter how its written up, you're free to disagree with me but refs will usually call a charge after three strides. But say Wilson gets suspended for it, does the leagur now say that teams can't go in hard on the forecheck now?

... I LITERALLY quoted the rulebook. In this case, it DOES matter how it's written up.

What does this even mean? I'm just saying that the general rule of thumb for a charge has always been three strides into a hit.

Not a rule of thumb. The literal rule of the rulebook of the NHL is quoted above. Nothing about three strides. It's what I said above, and Wilson's hit is a textbook example of that.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What does this even mean? I'm just saying that the general rule of thumb for a charge has always been three strides into a hit.

... I LITERALLY quoted the rulebook. In this case, it DOES matter how it's written up.

Not a rule of thumb. The literal rule of the rulebook of the NHL is quoted above. Nothing about three strides. It's what I said above, and Wilson's hit is a textbook example of that.
Exactly. This is the problem with NHL officiating, the refs adjust the rules to their own preference and there's absolutely no consistency. It's not just regarding hits like this, it includes goalie interference, tripping, etc. Refs need a complete overhaul, and need to be held to the rule book. Just because refs allow charges to happen doesn't mean the rule book becomes obsolete.

TUSR

Banned
say what you want, the greybook is a guideline for these types of situations. parity doesnt exist for suspensions.

Yes I know you quoted the rulebook but again I'm just telling you what officials look at when it comes to what a charge is.

Curufinwe

It's textbook charging - read the rule. And BSchenn did not see him the whole way.

Once again Shanahan has swallowed a BS story from a player who tried to injure a Flyer. Schenn turning did nothing but alter the angle he went into the boards.

Exactly. This is the problem with NHL officiating, the refs adjust the rules to their own preference and there's absolutely no consistency. It's not just regarding hits like this, it includes goalie interference, tripping, etc. Refs need a complete overhaul, and need to be held to the rule book. Just because refs allow charges to happen doesn't mean the rule book becomes obsolete.

Well the rule book has always been a guideline but what the refs call is ultimately a judgment call. One ref might see it as a penalty but anothet ref may look at it differently. I used to call out refs all the time but now that I am one, I've learned that calls are pretty much made on your judgment. I've had people complain to me about making a tripping call when the opposing player just stepped on the person's stick and fell. I called it a trip because of the player's stick positioning. Again, another ref might see it differently but ultimately its a judgment call depending on the person.

It's textbook charging - read the rule. And BSchenn did not see him the whole way.

Once again Shanahan has swallowed a BS story from a player who tried to injure a Flyer. Schenn turning did nothing but alter the angle he went into the boards.

So then at what point does a player quit on a forecheck? I don't know if you watched the video Shanahan did but he explained what a textbook forecheck pretty much is. Wilson was coming in to support the guy in the corner because its his job to retrieve the puck. Schenn takes the puck and Wilson changes his direction to go towards Schenn who has the puck. On a hard forecheck, NO hockey player is going to let up in that situation.

Sanjuro

For what it's worth, I liked the explanation even if I disagree. I don't think there should have been a large suspension either way. A fine or lone game.

No suspension for Tom Wilson.

Look at all this consistency in suspensions.

What an absolute load of shit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...on-charging-vs-flyers-nhl-231440083--nhl.html

Essentially, the NHL argued that Brayden Schenn knew Wilson was coming and by turning his back on the play put himself in harm’s way. If there was an injury here, significant or otherwise, the fault falls to the Flyers forward for turning his back on Wilson.

Great, so if a player turns his back on the play now (even if only for a split-second) it's his own fault for whatever happens to him. I'm going to bookmark this fucking gem of an explanation for future suspensions.

What an absolute load of shit.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...on-charging-vs-flyers-nhl-231440083--nhl.html

Great, so if a player turns his back on the play now (even if only for a split-second) it's his own fault for whatever happens to him. I'm going to bookmark this fucking gem of an explanation for future suspensions.

Recently, especially after the Phaneuf hit on Miller, was there talk on when should we start looking at players that put themselves in a vulnerable position. Textbook hockey says that you should skate into the boards shoulder facing.

Animal

Banned
Man those skates are ugly. Reminds me of back when I was rocking brand new Bauer Vapor 8s with the triangle cutouts in the middle part of the black blades.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Someone please post my angry gif.

I do not like Animal in here. Something about him irks me.

Not sure what it is though.

Oh, Backstrom :(

What happened this off-season? It's so disappointing to see how badly he's been playing this year.

EDIT: Ballard lays an awesome hit and then has to fight Kobasew because the latter wants to act like a small child. Nice job, guy. smh.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
When the fuck is Dustforce going to go on sale?

I'll probably buy all of the Bit.Trip games again for a buck.

Oh and LOL Briere.

Top Bottom