• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2013 |OT| I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
HILLER WITH THE OLDSCHOOL PADSTACKING LOL

damn son lol

god this is all LA vs Hiller. How many 40% shooters do the Queens have, jesus christ. They all have amazing career numbers and Hiller just stops them all oO

also whoa the Queens have a lot of right-handed shooters oO

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
trolltroussel.gif
If Subban did this the entire league would shut down. Love it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Not sure if you guys have seen them already, but the Dadhole videos are pretty fucking hilarious:

One

Two

Three

The third one's especially great, after you watch the first two. Black guy just can't believe it lol.

Stet

Banned
ALRIGHT ALRIGHT OKAY LET'S GO

NOW, YOU ALL KNOW WHAT I THINK ABOUT HERT-PURPLE AN' KADRI AN' NEYTIRI MOHAVE AN' ROGERS TAKIN' OVER THE CBC AN' HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA. NOW I'M GETTIN' MESSAGES FROM THIS TOO-SERS GUY ABOUT COLD CLOCKIN'.

ALRIGHT, SO COLD CLOCKIN' IS STUPID. WHY WOULDJA PUT YOUR CLOCK OUTSIDE WHEN IT'S COLD? THAT'S JUST RIDICULOUS. CLOCKS ARE MEANT TO BE PLACED IN AREAS THAT ARE BETWEEN TEN TO TWENTY DEGREES CELSIUS. IS THIS SOME NEW RUSSIAN THING AGAIN? BOY, I DON'T GET THESE RUSSIANS AN' THEIR RIDICULOUS WAYS.

LET ME TELL YOU KIDS A STORY: I WAS IN THE BATHROOM WASHIN' MY HANDS, WHEN I SAW A COUPLE OF RUSSIANS IN A BATHROOM STALL PLACIN' A CLOCK OUT BY THE WINDOW IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT. BOY THAT GOT ME STEAMED. IT'S COLD OUTSIDE AN' YOU'RE PLACIN' A CLOCK AT TEMPERATURES BELOW ZERO? WHAT'S THAT NOW. ANYWAY, THE RUSSIANS LEFT WITHOUT EVEN WASHIN' THEIR HANDS, AN' THE NEXT THING YA KNOW, NAZEM KADRI WALKED IN THE BATHROOM, WENT INSIDE THE SAME STALL, LEFT THE DOOR OPEN, TOOK A WHIZZ, THEN TOOK THAT CLOCK BACK INSIDE. HE TIPPED HIS HEAD TO ME, AN' SAID, "DON, JUS' PUTTIN' THE CLOCK BACK IN 'CAUSE I WORK HARD." HE WASHED HIS HANDS AN' LEFT. I COULDN'T HELP BY SHED A TEAR, BOY I TELL YOU.

THAT KADRI REMINDED ME OF BOBBY ORR. BOBBY WOULDN'T PUT A CLOCK OUTSIDE IN THE COLD. BOBBY WOULDA PUT THAT CLOCK BACK INSIDE LIKE KADRI.

Is this a transcript? Where are Ron MacLean's interruptions?

Socreges

Banned
1) Explain to me how a better roster can allow so many more shots per game (due to significantly worse possession numbers) than a worse roster.

2) The goaltending this season is significantly better than the goaltending in 2011-12. So if the roster is better, how is it possible that the team is performing worse?

Either (a) the roster is not better or (b) the coach is having a negative influence on the team. It has to be one or the other, and I don't think too many people will argue that Ron Wilson had a better roster to work with than Carlyle does right now

I don't even care. I'm just sick and tired of this team constantly disappointing me. I'll gladly eat my words if they manage to turn it around, but that seems unlikely, especially since Reimer/Bernier (as good as they've been) will not be .930+ goaltenders all season.

:-(

I mean, I understand what Socreges is saying, and I agree with him to an extent. Leafs fans can be very reactionary, but I think the stats speak for themselves when it comes to Randy Carlyle's impact. Here's an interesting comparison:

(After 1/3 of the season)
Season SF SA GF GA SH% SV%
2011-12 766 845 84 86 10.97 0.898
2012-13 740 864 81 73 10.95 0.919
2013-14 712 969 72 68 10.11 0.930

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/12/2/5165144/bon-jovi-sucks-and-so-do-the-leafs

We all know what happened to the 2011/12 Leafs down the stretch, but the frightening thing about these numbers is that this year's team seems to be completely dependant on goaltending.

Here's a follow-up comment by PPP:

"Swap the goalies in 11-12 and 13-14 and Wilson’s team gives up 27 fewer goals and Carlyle’s 31 more. That’s fucking crazy."

So basically, Carlyle is a worse defensive coach than Wilson.

...and I'm done for tonight.
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

My point, put differently, is that a team's struggles are often a mix of the roster and the coaching. Yet you, and others like you, focus entirely on the coach as if there aren't other glaring problems with the Leafs. This is exactly what we heard all the time about Wilson, as if the team itself wasn't garbage.

TUSR

Banned
Yup. Don't get why they messed with a good thing.

We're supposed to post 24/7 even after the game so they don't think we left.

i dont understand why MS has been marketing their kernel as another OS too.

so much weird stuff going on with the xboner

Red_Man

Played around with my buddies Xbox One last week, Forza doesn't look like a huge jump graphics-wise to me and Ryse was fucking awful to play, but was gorgeous. Didn't play any other games, but it didn't make me want to buy one any time soon either.

Played around with my buddies Xbox One last week, Forza doesn't look like a huge jump graphics-wise to me and Ryse was fucking awful to play, but was gorgeous. Didn't play any other games, but it didn't make me want to buy one any time soon either.

Played Ryse for a little bit. It looks super cinematic and dope but was kind of repetitive

Red_Man

Played Ryse for a little bit. It looks super cinematic and dope but was kind of repetitive
Presentation is ace, but the game play or at least the part I played was garbage. I was really looking forward to it too as Gladiator is my favourite movie.

Erdrick

Presentation is ace, but the game play or at least the part I played was garbage. I was really looking forward to it too as Gladiator is my favourite movie.

On a slightly related tangent, have you guys ever played Shadow Of Rome for the PS2 by Capcom from around 2004-ish? It has some stupid stealth segments but the combat in gladiator arenas is just gold. A shame they're never going to make another one.

Red_Man

The only gladiator game I've ever played was Gladius, which was one of my favourite hidden gems. I actually feel like digging it out now.

Marvie_3

Banned
On a slightly related tangent, have you guys ever played Shadow Of Rome for the PS2 by Capcom from around 2004-ish? It has some stupid stealth segments but the combat in gladiator arenas is just gold. A shame they're never going to make another one.
That game was fucking awesome.

Curufinwe

Should I watch the game tonight or play Gears of War...

The Flyers have won just once (1-16-3) at the Joe since Nov. 4, 1988. That mark doesn’t include the Red Wings’ sweep in the 1997 Stanley Cup final

Gears it is.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
On the one hand, I'm glad Hank is locked up for good.

On the other hand, that contract is going to be an absolute killer in the last few years.

Osorio

Going to the game tonight. Got free club seats from a friend.

Anybody have French phrases I can use to piss off Habs fans?

Osorio

Boucher getting called up from Albany today.

He's probably our best offensive prospect

Broke Stamkos' record in the OHL with 62 goals in a season.

On the one hand, I'm glad Hank is locked up for good.

On the other hand, that contract is going to be an absolute killer in the last few years.

By the time those last few years roll around the cap could be 90 million +

Larry Brooks ‏@NYP_Brooksie 10m
If NHL revenue increases by 5% per (likely will be higher) and PA exercises annual 5% bump, cap will exceed $100M way before end of deal

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
By the time those last few years roll around the cap could be 90 million +

Still not worth having 10% of the cap tied up in the backup goaltender.

That said, his cap hit was already nearly $7m before this contract, so it's not like there was much room to go lower than this.

Also pretty much guarantees that one of Richards/Nash will be gone at the end of the year (presumably Richards).

Still not worth having 10% of the cap tied up in the backup goaltender.

That said, his cap hit was already nearly $7m before this contract, so it's not like there was much room to go lower than this.

Also pretty much guarantees that one of Richards/Nash will be gone at the end of the year (presumably Richards).

It'll be 100 before he's in his older years. He would have gotten 9+ on the open market.

Presumably Richards? 100% Richards.

Top Bottom