• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2013 |OT| I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas

Socreges

Banned
On paper, this year's Leafs team is way better than Ron Wilson's Leafs.

So why the hell are Carlyle's Leafs getting outshot so badly every single game? Why do the D-men look lost in their own zone so often? Why do they always go into shitty defensive shell pseudo-PK mode whenever they're up by a couple of goals?

Statistically, the 2013-14 Leafs team hasn't outperformed the 2011-12 Leafs, which is amazing considering that this roster (goaltending in particular) is so much better. If the Leafs weren't getting exceptional goaltending, they'd be near the bottom of the standings.

The main issue seems to be that the coach is an idiot. His defensive system is a joke. His roster management is fucking terrible. His philosophy is idiotic (yeah, limiting high quality chances is a noble goal, but ultimately meaningless if (a) the Leafs give up 40 shots/80 attempts a game and (b) the goalie isn't perfect every night. Our best possession players are being traded (Mac, Grabo, Kulemin soon) while possession black holes like Bozak are playing 23 minutes a game. Having the puck less = opponent having the puck more = more shots against = more goals against = more losses. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Gardiner is being dicked around, Fraser is getting playing time over Rielly, Colton Orr gets shifts with Kadri. It's all too much.

/rant
Leafs fans so often just blame the coach. Only in retrospect can they admit their roster is weak or average. Your team is better, sure, but putting so much blame on Carlyle is ridiculous.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Keep running Luongo, Preds. Works fine for us

I DON'T KNOW WHAT'S HAPPENING ANYMORE

The Canucks with SIX STRAIGHT GAMES WITH POWERPLAY-GOALS.

What universe is this.

Soc, please never get banned again. Your return has something to do with this. It has to.

BEASTMODE! Showing who he likes to score against!

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Bieksa takes a penalty with 90seconds left. Probably so Kesler can try to score the empty netter without having to worry about icing. Probably.

Marvie_3

Banned
Our 4th line is fucking garbage. I feel bad for Smith having to be on a line with Bollig/Kruger.

lol.....refs letting the Stars get away with all kinds of shit tonight.

Merguson

Banned
On paper, this year's Leafs team is way better than Ron Wilson's Leafs.

So why the hell are Carlyle's Leafs getting outshot so badly every single game? Why do the D-men look lost in their own zone so often? Why do they always go into shitty defensive shell pseudo-PK mode whenever they're up by a couple of goals?

Statistically, the 2013-14 Leafs team hasn't outperformed the 2011-12 Leafs, which is amazing considering that this roster (goaltending in particular) is so much better. If the Leafs weren't getting exceptional goaltending, they'd be near the bottom of the standings.

The main issue seems to be that the coach is an idiot. His defensive system is a joke. His roster management is fucking terrible. His philosophy is idiotic (yeah, limiting high quality chances is a noble goal, but ultimately meaningless if (a) the Leafs give up 40 shots/80 attempts a game and (b) the goalie isn't perfect every night. Our best possession players are being traded (Mac, Grabo, Kulemin soon) while possession black holes like Bozak are playing 23 minutes a game. Having the puck less = opponent having the puck more = more shots against = more goals against = more losses. It's not a hard concept to grasp.

Gardiner is being dicked around, Fraser is getting playing time over Rielly, Colton Orr gets shifts with Kadri. It's all too much.

/rant

We have players with the brain size of a peanut.

Cactus

Banned
Leafs fans so often just blame the coach. Only in retrospect can they admit their roster is weak or average. Your team is better, sure, but putting so much blame on Carlyle is ridiculous.
1) Explain to me how a better roster can allow so many more shots per game (due to significantly worse possession numbers) than a worse roster.

2) The goaltending this season is significantly better than the goaltending in 2011-12. So if the roster is better, how is it possible that the team is performing worse?

Either (a) the roster is not better or (b) the coach is having a negative influence on the team. It has to be one or the other, and I don't think too many people will argue that Ron Wilson had a better roster to work with than Carlyle does right now

Hey! Some of us have been on the anti-Carlyle bandwagon since he was hired. And most of us here have been pretty honest about the glaring deficiencies in the roster (Bozak/Clarkson/the D).

ZeroGravity

Nintendo has officially jumped the shark:

c3saocf.png
Still would make more sense than Wii Fit Trainer.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
1) Explain to me how a better roster can allow so many more shots per game (due to significantly worse possession numbers) than a worse roster.

2) The goaltending this season is significantly better than the goaltending in 2011-12. So if the roster is better, how is it possible that the team is performing worse?

Either (a) the roster is not better or (b) the coach is having a negative influence on the team. It has to be one or the other, and I don't think too many people will argue that Ron Wilson had a better roster to work with than Carlyle does right now

Hey! Some of us have been on the anti-Carlyle bandwagon since he was hired. And most of us here have been pretty honest about the glaring deficiencies in the roster (Bozak/Clarkson/the D).
Why did you guys bite, dammit!

We KNOW Carlyle's system isn't suited for this team.

Cactus

Banned
Why did you guys bite, dammit!

We KNOW Carlyle's system isn't suited for this team.
I don't even care. I'm just sick and tired of this team constantly disappointing me. I'll gladly eat my words if they manage to turn it around, but that seems unlikely, especially since Reimer/Bernier (as good as they've been) will not be .930+ goaltenders all season.

:-(

I mean, I understand what Socreges is saying, and I agree with him to an extent. Leafs fans can be very reactionary, but I think the stats speak for themselves when it comes to Randy Carlyle's impact. Here's an interesting comparison:

(After 1/3 of the season)
Season SF SA GF GA SH% SV%
2011-12 766 845 84 86 10.97 0.898
2012-13 740 864 81 73 10.95 0.919
2013-14 712 969 72 68 10.11 0.930

http://www.pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/12/2/5165144/bon-jovi-sucks-and-so-do-the-leafs

We all know what happened to the 2011/12 Leafs down the stretch, but the frightening thing about these numbers is that this year's team seems to be completely dependant on goaltending.

Here's a follow-up comment by PPP:

"Swap the goalies in 11-12 and 13-14 and Wilson’s team gives up 27 fewer goals and Carlyle’s 31 more. That’s fucking crazy."

So basically, Carlyle is a worse defensive coach than Wilson.

...and I'm done for tonight.

Top Bottom