• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2013 |OT| I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
it's not like he's not gonna get paid. Another team will pick him up as well.

Nah, I know, I'm mostly kidding. The point is just that shit happens. The team will just be praying that Richards stays healthy.

Rangers twitter account just officially announced Lundqvist signing.

Curufinwe

Would you if you had that contract?

I'm looking at it now and it depends. He's due to make $24 million over the next three season, and $27 million over the next six.

But if he can put up close to 60 points this year then he'll be in line for the type of UFA contract Flippula got - 5 years, $25 million. Plus he'll also be getting paid $1.5 million a year for 12 years by the Rangers.

Cactus

Banned
Lies, damn lies, and statistics.

My point, put differently, is that a team's struggles are often a mix of the roster and the coaching. Yet you, and others like you, focus entirely on the coach as if there aren't other glaring problems with the Leafs. This is exactly what we heard all the time about Wilson, as if the team itself wasn't garbage.
I think you're being very disingenuous by suggesring that I don't believe the roster has issues (I'm not sure if you remember the free agent period, when I was lambasting the Bozak and Clarkson signings. Look back to when Grabovski was bought out and you'll see me having a meltdown).

The roster obviously has issues, but Carlyle (more than Wilson ever did) is hurting this team. Its fine if you choose to casually ignore the stats I presented and label me whatever you want, but I didn't seriously call for Wilson's head until his final year here. I liked Maurice, and Quinn was awesome despits some annoying roster-related decisions. It takes a special kind of coach to make me hate him this quickly.

Did I mention how much I love my Liegge, already surpassed last year's production.

Stupid leafs for letting him go.

At least they'll (probably) make the playoffs and their owner isn't going to Money Mart every few weeks for a loan to keep his team afloat.

I have the same reaction to watching Andy play this season.

He's only matching the fine example set by the majority of the team, most notably Captain Giggles.

Merguson

Banned
The Leafs performance is really on both Nonis and Carlyle. Nonis had the worst offseason of all time (Raymond/Bolland/Bernier aside) and Carlyle makes stupid roster decisions/has a shit "system" that doesn't play to the current team's strengths.

Not the players? C'mon.

Enough of this shit. Nonis/Carlyle aren't the ones playing on the ice.

EDIT: If the players can't conform to Ron Wilson's system or Randy Carlyle's system, who to say they'll conform perfectly to any system of any coach we bring in?

LevelNth

Banned
Mac and Grabo suck, I don't care what they're doing on other teams right now. They suck.

They are not why we suck right now, nor is Clarkson worthy of judgement yet so cool it with that witchhunt everyone.

We suck right now because a lot of the kids we have been hoping are good are sucking, and Carlyle isn't doing us any damn favors.

Merguson

Banned
You don't think the team would be better with MacArthur/Grabovski, a 4th line that could actually play hockey and Fraser out of the lineup permanently?

It takes a lot of pressure off the current players if there are other players there to pick up the slack.

I'm more concerned with the blueline and 35.6 shots against. I don't give a shit about forwards where our defense can't play defense and get the puck out.

I mean, one situation where Franson goes and retrieves the puck from our zone. Without even looking, he immediately dumps it for an icing. Why? No opposing player near him, plenty of time left. He didn't even bother to look. These kind of mistakes keeps the puck in our zone and gives the other team plenty of opportunities.

Cake Boss

Banned
Mac suck, I don't care what they're doing on other teams right now. They suck..

MacArthurPassBetweenOwnLegsTurrisWild.gif

Yes suck loooooloooloooololooooool

Cactus

Banned
Mac and Grabo suck, I don't care what they're doing on other teams right now. They suck.

They are not why we suck right now, nor is Clarkson worthy of judgement yet so cool it with that witchhunt everyone.

We suck right now because a lot of the kids we have been hoping are good are sucking, and Carlyle isn't doing us any damn favors.
They weren't properly used. Ask some Sens and Caps fans if they suck. They were great offensive players under Wilson. Carlyle comes in and gives them the toughest defensive minutes and then runs them out of town when they struggle to adapt in a shortened season.

Curufinwe

They weren't properly used last season. Ask some Sens and Caps fans if they suck. They were great offensive players under Wilson. Carlyle comes in and gives them the toughest defensive minutes on the team and then runs them out of town when they struggle to adapt in a shortened season.

Grabo's point totals weren't that bad considering his minutes. When you play against the other teams' top lines you have to be a special player to score even 40 points.

Merguson

Banned
Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with our defense either, but wouldn't that also be on Nonis as well? A player like Ron Hainsey was available on the free agency market for 2 million and is playing on the top-pairing in Carolina right now. Again, just bringing in one player who is an upgrade lets everyone else move down the depth chart.

Gunnarsson-Phaneuf
Gardiner-Hainsey
Liles-Franson

Rielly gets another year in junior (even though I like him), Franson gets easier minutes, and Gardiner gets a solid partner that makes the pairing more dependable and can eat up a few of Gunnarsson-Phaneuf's tough minutes.

I don't how good Hainsey is in terms of the player we need on the blueline. I would rather have a replacement for Gunnarsson and move Gunnarsson down.

Too many offensive-oriented defensemen. Gardiner, Liles, Franson, Rielly.. and in the minors.. TJ Brennan..

does Paul Ranger count since he has more points than Gardiner?

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Smithson put on waivers.

And to my boy Cake Boss. Glad you're loving MacArthur, only thing to be wary of is at least while he was with the Leafs he would have bouts of being fantastic then just go into the tank for an extended period.

Personally I love Mac and wish we kept him so I'm hoping with the new venue he's over that and will continue being a solid contributor for you guys.

I for one am happy the Leafs and Lightning are sucking right now, will soften the blow when we lose the next 10 games since we are missing both Datysuk and Zetterberg.

Though on the plus side Deykeyser is aiming for a mid December return and Datsyuk is skating and is symptom free (so he will probably be back in 1-1.5 weeks, Z will probably be mid to end of December.

Stasis

Part of me wanted it done (albeit 7 @ 7 but hey, not a big reason to bitch...)

Part of me wanted to see what we could build with around $5M saved.

Then I go right back to never wanting to ever live without Henke. I dunno what it's like to cheer for a team without a top tier goalie and I hope I never have to find out.

Then I go right back to never wanting to ever live without Henke. I dunno what it's like to cheer for a team without a top tier goalie and I hope I never have to find out.

I mean, he has led you guys to the promised land many times. I don't blame you.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Missed the Mike Dunham years, huh?

Stasis

I mean, he has led you guys to the promised land many times. I don't blame you.

He's won so many games for us, I can't even begin to count. Day and night. This team can be pretty hard to watch at times, and he's made seasons bearable.

Missed the Mike Dunham years, huh?

I haven't been a hockey fan for all that long, I have to admit. I saw one year of Dunham before Henke stepped in. Missed Richter.

edit: Also, it basically took living in Montreal and dating a French Canadian who's family was batshit insane about hockey for me to finally get it, and get into it. Was having none of that Habs shit, though.

Top Bottom