• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2013 |OT| I'm Dreaming Of A White Christmas

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Celebrity deaths have always, and will always garner more attention in western society then public figures like Mandela. It's just how it is, complaining about it is unnecessary and like Acid said it feels like people who complain about it are trying to put themselves above others. Just ignore it and remember both men for who they were.

I was contemplating messaging you on steam to tell you what time it is, just in case you'd forgotten that time exists. :lol

I entered the negative zone around 2:45. After that the next shift+tab promoted a unreasonably loud what the fuck.

edit: And with mandela in particular he's been at death's door for years now. People have come to accept his passing in the way a youngish star finally getting positive recognition will never get.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Celebrity deaths have always, and will always garner more attention in western society then public figures like Mandela. It's just how it is, complaining about it is unnecessary and like Acid said it feels like people who complain about it are trying to put themselves above others. Just ignore it and remember both men for who they were.

An actor doing his job and a nobel peace price winner who revolutionized a country after being imprisoned for 27 years. Gotcha.

I don't really get the notion of "people who complain about it are trying to put themselves above others", though. Why does me observing that it's sad that more people seem to care about Walker than about Mandela show that I'm trying to gain moral superiority?

Red_Man

An actor doing his job and a nobel peace price winner who revolutionized a country after being imprisoned for 27 years. Gotcha.

I don't really get the notion of "people who complain about it are trying to put themselves above others", though. Why does me observing that it's sad that more people seem to care about Walker than about Mandela show that I'm trying to gain moral superiority?
I'm not citing you in particular, it's just the complaint of people caring more about Hollywood then real world issues is a tired one. This happens with every celebrity death, I've seen people on social media try to make your point but in a very preachy way. Just seems pretty redundant to me at this point, and like TUSR and towel said, it's not like Mandela's death was a sudden surprise.

Acid08

Banned
I'm not trying to gain moral superiority. Not sure why you think I am. I just think Mandela is a much more important part of history and by extension, the world we live in and grew up in. That illicits more of a response from me, at least. Walker's was more sudden and tragic, but... I dunno. I'll sound like an absolute dick here, but I find it difficult to care AS much as that as I do about Mandela.
I wasn't referencing you at all, was talking about people on facebook. It's not all about you wsox.

But really, I get that people legitimately care more about Mandela's death. History books will pass down his legacy and Walker's will be forgotten over time. Deservedly so, of course, Mandela was an incredibly powerful figure for equal rights while Walker was an actor.

My problem is when people act like it's an insult to humanity that anyone can be affected by both deaths. Both are tragic but for different reasons. Mandela passing is sad because he was such an important historical figure while Walker's death reminds everyone how fleeting life can be. Comparing the two is super asinine imo.

It also rubs me wrong because the people doing this are doing Mandela's legacy a disservice by adding hate into the huge pool of love and support that both deaths have brought out in people.

Smiley90

I'm not citing you in particular, it's just the complaint of people caring more about Hollywood then real world issues is a tired one. This happens with every celebrity death, I've seen people on social media try to make your point but in a very preachy way. Just seems pretty redundant to me at this point, and like TUSR and towel said, it's not like Mandela's death was a sudden surprise.

I wasn't referencing you at all, was talking about people on facebook. It's not all about you wsox.

But really, I get that people legitimately care more about Mandela's death. History books will pass down his legacy and Walker's will be forgotten over time. Deservedly so, of course, Mandela was an incredibly powerful figure for equal rights while Walker was an actor.

My problem is when people act like it's an insult to humanity that anyone can be affected by both deaths. Both are tragic but for different reasons. Mandela passing is sad because he was such an important historical figure while Walker's death reminds everyone how fleeting life can be. Comparing the two is super asinine imo.

It also rubs me wrong because the people doing this are doing Mandela's legacy a disservice by adding hate into the huge pool of love and support that both deaths have brought out in people.

Fair enough. It just always personally rubs me the wrong way in a "so many people are not getting the credit they deserve, while others get way more credit than they deserve" kind of way, if that makes sense. Not just when people die, this applies to life in general. The Walker/Mandela situation is just an example of that. My own mindset, I guess.

I can live with the "People are sad about Mandela's death because it's Mandela, people are sad about Walker's death because it shows how fleeting life is, not necessarily because he specifically died". That... makes it better, actually.

Acid08

Banned
I'm not saying people can't give a shit about Paul Walker. I'm saying it's a sad state of affairs when the death of an actor famous for one not-even-impactful movie series causes more grief and sadness and social media outcry than the death of arguably one of the most important and impactful people of the 20th century.

I'm not saying they can't grief more for Walker than Mandela. But I AM judging them.
Yes, judge other people while you could be trying to relate instead. Doing the Mandela legacy proud.

Red_Man

Ignorance is bliss, just be happy you're aware of Mandela's contributions to humanity, I've seen some people today question who he was.

Smiley90

Ignorance is bliss, just be happy you're aware of Mandela's contributions to humanity, I've seen some people today question who he was.

that's just... I... I.....

... okay I'm not gonna answer seriously and instead say

that's nearly as bad as not knowing what Kazaa was.

Red_Man

#paulandnelson #blaze4everinheaven
Not sure if I should feel bad about laughing at this as much as I did.

that's just... I... I.....

... okay I'm not gonna answer seriously and instead say

that's nearly as bad as not knowing what Kazaa was.
Not people I'm close to mind you, but still.

This is the most depressing after hours in a long time.

Smiley90

Not sure if I should feel bad about laughing at this as much as I did.

Not people I'm close to mind you, but still.

This is the most depressing after hours in a long time.

If you think about it, After Hours was always depressing. We just didn't realize it.

Red_Man

If you think about it, After Hours was always depressing. We just didn't realize it.
Katy Perry disagrees with you

OVo7f.gif

Brunner hasn't scored in a very long time?

He will score a few against us then today and Wings lose 4-1. Oh Gus is in net, we have a chance!!!

And Helm thankfully only has some fluid in his shoulder so it is probably just a strain/sprain so hopefully he won't be out for long.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Just heard the tail end of it on the radio but looks like Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger and James Duthie are all staying put with TSN for the long term.

Nick Kypreos breathes a sigh of relief.

Samyy

Just heard the tail end of it on the radio but looks like Bob McKenzie, Darren Dreger and James Duthie are all staying put with TSN for the long term.

Nick Kypreos breathes a sigh of relief.

Pretty sure he signed a new long term deal with Sportsnet recently anyway

Heretic

Any one read that thread where the girl he was having sex with called him... the N word.

Well, this girl I was dating during college used to ALWAYS call me Master Chief while we were getting busy. I thought it was the weirdest fucking thing ever and it was not working for me but she thought I loved it and therefore she loved it herself which made the whole thing even better so I went with it.

Edit: Didn't realize AH was over...

manfestival

Any one read that thread where the girl he was having sex with called him... the N word.

Well, this girl I was dating during college used to ALWAYS call me Master Chief while we were getting busy. I thought it was the weirdest fucking thing ever and it was not working for me but she thought I loved it and therefore she loved it herself which made the whole thing even better so I went with it.

Edit: Didn't realize AH was over...

about that....

Cake Boss

Banned
At first I was just kidding but the coach is seriously one of the problems of this season, the fucking Jack Adams got his thick fucking head. When teams are underachieving its usually the coach fault.

Last night he tried to do his dumbass shit of trying to send a message of sending the grinder line on the PP, even benched Karlsson for it as well, the only guy he didnt bench was Chris fucking Philips who is always on the PP, Chris later becomes the sole reason why Tampa scored the other 2 goals.

The PP has been shit even since he got here, if your PP has Karlsson, Bobby, Spezza, Turris on it and you still fucking suck then its not the players, its your fucking fault for not knowing how to draw a fucking play on the PP.

Its clear that the players have tuned him out, call up Richardson SVP!.

Top Bottom