• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2015 |OT| How John Tortorella Stole Christmas

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Anyone here have any experience with having to train a replacement for your current position that has a heavy background? I have about a month to train someone to take over my current position, but don't really know where to begin with the amount of information I need to give this guy.

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
Anyone here have any experience with having to train a replacement for your current position that has a heavy background? I have about a month to train someone to take over my current position, but don't really know where to begin with the amount of information I need to give this guy.

I don't know necessarily about heavy background (or what exactly you're training for) but when I trained I've broken it down into smaller chunks. I'd start with a smaller piece and then get into the more complex stuff. Think about your day or all the tasks that you do and the tools you need to do it. Do you have daily/weekly/monthly reports? Weekly/biweekly meetings? The dates of these will dictate when you train them. For example if there is a daily report, I'd train them on it and have them do the report from now on. I'd probably review the first couple of times before it was sent.

Is there software or programs that you need to train them on? Figure out what is most important and train them on it first. There was a program that we used that had multiple functions to it. I'd give a general over view and then go train on a specific function and would give tasks to do within that function before moving on to the next one.

Make sure they know of any reports, templates, and where to find information that they will need.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Was just looking at the standings and saw the Habs were at 41 points and thought "jeez, that seems awfully high," so I decided to look back at the last few years to see where the top team was on December 1.

2014: a whole boatload of teams (Bolts, Habs, Pens, Isles, Perds, Blues) sitting at 34 points
2013: Chicago at 44(!) points
2012: probably on a beach somewhere
2011: Wild with 33 points
2010: Caps with 36 points
2009: Sharks at 40 points
2008: Sharks at 41 points

Interestingly, only those 2008 Sharks went on to win the Presidents' Trophy that year.

Quick

Banned

I was the trainee in this scenario when I took over for someone one time.

The position required a lot of information to be given to me, and I only had three days to train. I bombed hard at the job due to what I believe was poor training. I was out of there after a month.

The person training me gave was a scattershot with information. One second, we'd be dealing with one task, the next second, she decided to teach me something that she just thought of, then we'd go back to the first task and I'd be confused as hell.

I guess the first thing I'd suggest is compartmentalize the stuff he needs to know. Go about your daily workload while he shadows, then get him to start doing some of the work, until you're simply watching him do everything you do.

Second thing is, write up the important shit for him. I was told to take notes, which in theory is the way to go, but that's fine for stuff like daily tasks and arbitrary stuff. Important information should be written by you for him to read over, since you know it best and you want to write it exactly how you want, rather than him writing up his own notes and possibly mix things up. It also helps you jog your memory, as well, so you don't forget everything. I took notes when I was training and the shit I wrote started conflicting because my trainer forgot to tell me some things.

I recently had to train someone for my job, since I went on vacation. Best thing I did was just write down everything I thought was important. Once I poured everything I know into Word, I started organizing it into something more compartmentalized. Gave my information to my replacement for the week and it was smooth sailing.

Red - Pick out the ultra key stuff. Write down very clear instructions. Watch them do the tasks. Once you feel he/she has a fair grasp on that, move on to the lesser ultra key stuff, provide clearly written notes etc.

Ursn

fbGJqtc.jpg

The Ducks are using the force tonight.

Was just looking at the standings and saw the Habs were at 41 points and thought "jeez, that seems awfully high," so I decided to look back at the last few years to see where the top team was on December 1.

2014: a whole boatload of teams (Bolts, Habs, Pens, Isles, Perds, Blues) sitting at 34 points

Interestingly, only those 2008 Sharks went on to win the Presidents' Trophy that year.

Ah, that was our historically bad year. The 2011-2012 Wild are the only team in NHL history to be atop the standings of the league in December and then go on to miss the playoffs entirely.

Between January/February/March, the Wild went an abysmal 12-22-4. Our leading scorer was Dany Heatley (!) with 53 points. Kyle Brodziak, historically a 3rd or 4th liner, played that January/February/March stretch as the #1 center most of the time due to injuries.

What a shitty year.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

I probably should have also pointed out that not a single team on this list won the Cup in their respective years after leading the NHL on December 1. Lack of sleep has me slippin'.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Presidents trophy is usually a bad omen, that's why it's funny when fans brag about it.

This reminds me that I did see somebody wearing a Rangers Presidents' Trophy shirt a couple weeks ago. Literally the one and only time I've ever seen someone wearing one in the wild. :D

Shit, I'm traveling on December 31st :(
Canada vs. Sweden is on that day dammit
Oh that sucks. I cant wait for the tournament. Most of Swedens leading players from last year will return and i think we can be really competitive.

Nylander, Lindblom and Holmström are gonna be a joy to watch.

Yawnier

Banned
I want to see Timashov with Sweden at the WJCs too. He showed some really good chemistry with Nylander at the rookie tournament this year.

Samyy

John Scott 4th in all star voting

we need to make this happen, gang

I was for this but....its kinda stupid, insulting to Scott and it probably sucks for the people that actually really enjoy the All-star game (the kids).

None of us probably care about the game so it seems weird we would go out of our way to make it worse for those that do.

zroid

Banned
I was for this but....its kinda stupid, insulting to Scott and it probably sucks for the people that actually really enjoy the All-star game (the kids).

None of us probably care about the game so it seems weird we would go out of our way to make it worse for those that do.

Cmon mang. There's no need to get so sentimental about an all-star game. It'd be awesome!

imBask

Banned
I still don't know about that "1 player per team" rule, it's really dumb. change the name to "mostly all-star game 2016"

Calamari41

41 > 38
I still don't know about that "1 player per team" rule, it's really dumb. change the name to "mostly all-star game 2016"

I think it's a rational response to avoid the kind of thing we saw with the last MLB All Star Game, which consisted of 38 KC Royals players

imBask

Banned
I think it's a rational response to avoid the kind of thing we saw with the last MLB All Star Game, which consisted of 38 KC Royals players

I understand why they do it, but I still disagree with the result... The Atlantic team is going to look real stupid with Phaneuf or Bozak on it

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I don't know necessarily about heavy background (or what exactly you're training for) but when I trained I've broken it down into smaller chunks. I'd start with a smaller piece and then get into the more complex stuff. Think about your day or all the tasks that you do and the tools you need to do it. Do you have daily/weekly/monthly reports? Weekly/biweekly meetings? The dates of these will dictate when you train them. For example if there is a daily report, I'd train them on it and have them do the report from now on. I'd probably review the first couple of times before it was sent.

Is there software or programs that you need to train them on? Figure out what is most important and train them on it first. There was a program that we used that had multiple functions to it. I'd give a general over view and then go train on a specific function and would give tasks to do within that function before moving on to the next one.

Make sure they know of any reports, templates, and where to find information that they will need.
It's a management position, but there's so much shit that needs to be overlooked daily, you broke it down in great way I can use.

I recently had to train someone for my job, since I went on vacation. Best thing I did was just write down everything I thought was important. Once I poured everything I know into Word, I started organizing it into something more compartmentalized. Gave my information to my replacement for the week and it was smooth sailing.

Red - Pick out the ultra key stuff. Write down very clear instructions. Watch them do the tasks. Once you feel he/she has a fair grasp on that, move on to the lesser ultra key stuff, provide clearly written notes etc.
These is a good idea too, when I was trained it was similar to your situation where they just told me to write everything down, but it's difficult to navigate what's really important and what's now when you're just starting. I'll have a month or so, so I'll have a good period of time to work with him, I just need to find the proper starting point

This is all really good stuff, thanks guys.

Top Bottom