• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2015 |OT| How John Tortorella Stole Christmas

yyzjohn

Banned
Just watched the winter classic show, Talbot talks a lot for someone who was sent down to the minors this year, reminds me of when Gorges wouldn't shut up here.

:lol

I don't even like Bozak but I really hope he finishes the year with more points than Kessel cause it would make me laugh. They're tied right now.

Quick

Banned
Just watched the winter classic show, Talbot talks a lot for someone who was sent down to the minors this year, reminds me of when Gorges wouldn't shut up here.

:lol

PAP got jokes. I like this guy.

First time we'll see Lucic since he became a King tonight

Protect ya necks nuts.

Oh man. First time I saw this, I had to pause it a couple of times just to get my laughs out and to cringe at the awkwardness.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Keep Dealing on this new Pusha album....

yyhnm9lopsbw.gif

I ran into a spoiler on a fucking twitch tv stream last night

Nowhere is safe.

Just stay in the bubble you guys. Don't go anywhere. Don't look at the spoiler thread and don't look at Twitter, Facebook. I'm 100% lock down on movie spoilers right now until I see it Saturday.

Thank God Cineplex added 2D start times for Star Wars.

ShaneB

what the, might have run into a star wars spoiler on a sports website. stay safe gents

The only internet surfing I am doing over the next couple of days is pretty much just my gaf subs and even that will be limited. Going near full media blackout until I see it Saturday.

Just stay in the bubble you guys. Don't go anywhere. Don't look at the spoiler thread and don't look at Twitter, Facebook. I'm 100% lock down on movie spoilers right now until I see it Saturday.

Thank God Cineplex added 2D start times for Star Wars.

Dang it, I'm seeing the 2D times now. Much prefer that, but really wish there were some listings with reserved seating. Maybe I'll see it tomorrow at 11:45am!

Red_Man

I read the spoiler thread early on during production, so I can't really be spoiled. Looking forward to the movie, but I'll probably wait a couple weeks for the theater crowds disappear.

Solo

Nice to see the Habs anemic offense has returned. This team won't get past the second round, if they get that far.

zroid

Banned
I get that RyJo isn't having a great season by his standards, but he's at 0.7 PPG? That's hardly warranting of a healthy scratch...

iLLmAtlc

I remember someone on TV saying torts is always trying to prove he's smarter than everyone else, I think that's very accurate and why you see all the weird shit.

Also re my Star Wars post I was just reading the comments section and some guy put the spoiler there.

Red_Man

Nice to see the Habs anemic offense has returned. This team won't get past the second round, if they get that far.
Have you actually watched any games or basing this all on boxscores? This is the best Habs team since 93 by a mile

Cake Boss

Banned
@TheNHLisCrazy @PuckLuck1 @BruceIsOnline @vijayk416 Burrows only guy who said he wanted to hurt me like me father did-why I can't stand him

Patrick Sullivan talking about Burrows, if you didn't know, he was abused by his dad when he was younger.

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Patrick Sullivan talking about Burrows, if you didn't know, he was abused by his dad when he was younger.

I want to stick by Burrows, especially against guys like Tootoo, who doesn't seem like a saint himself, but, man, there's a lot of smoke surrounding him and some of his on-ice comments.... Trash talk is a part of sports, but you have to respect your fellow athletes as people.

Come on home, RyJo. This reminds me of the way the Canucks treated Kassian last year (obviously Johansen is a better and higher profile player) in that they're obviously exploring the trade market, but scratching him and playing him in the bottom six is only going to bring down his value, damaging any potential return. Weird decision from Jarmo and Tortorella.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Antti Raanta gets the start tonight in Minnesota, presumably because Hank is going to watch Star Wars instead.

Hank gets the start in Winnipeg.

aidan

Jarmo is suppose to be one of the best GMs in the league in terms of identifying good prospects, it's a bit of a red flag if he has no issue with this.

Most GMs will publicly support their coaches (especially a new hire), regardless of their personal or professional opinion. Can't undermine the players' confidence in coach. We saw Rutherford question Johnston in Pittsburgh just days before firing him.

Red_Man

Most GMs will publicly support their coaches (especially a new hire), regardless of their personal or professional opinion. Can't undermine the players' confidence in coach. We saw Rutherford question Johnston in Pittsburgh just days before firing him.
I get that, but there's been multiple reports that Jarmo is down to trade Johansen, which would make be a bit apprehensive in trading for him since Jarmo is suppose to be such a good evaluator.

aidan

I get that, but there's been multiple reports that Jarmo is down to trade Johansen, which would make be a bit apprehensive in trading for him since Jarmo is suppose to be such a good evaluator.

That might also be Jarmo evaluating the trade market and recognizing that it's healthy enough to get an appropriate return for a player of Johansen's stature. Trades don't have to hurt your team in the long run if you can accurately evaluate the returning talent. There's a difference between being eager to trade a player, and open to trading a player. If he was eager, they'd be giving Johansen every opportunity to drive up his value, similar to what the Canucks did with Hodgson just before he was dealt.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
That might also be Jarmo evaluating the trade market and recognizing that it's healthy enough to get an appropriate return for a player of Johansen's stature. Trades don't have to hurt your team in the long run if you can accurately evaluate the returning talent. There's a difference between being eager to trade a player, and open to trading a player. If he was eager, they'd be giving Johansen every opportunity to drive up his value, similar to what the Canucks did with Hodgson just before he was dealt.
Yeah...but it's Torts behind the bench....

Joking aside since I'm eternally grateful to the BJs for taking Clarkson, hiring Torts is a colossal mistake. Not sure why they didn't get Boucher or someone else not so bloody abrasive.

Foggy

Yeah...but it's Torts behind the bench....

Joking aside since I'm eternally grateful to the BJs for taking Clarkson, hiring Torts is a colossal mistake. Not sure why they didn't get Boucher or someone else not so bloody abrasive.

Torts is a John Davidson "guy" so he was likely top of the list the whole time. And I believe Boucher couldn't be hired by anyone over here due to contractual obligations because of how late in the year it is. Or something to that effect.

I mean he did snag Marko Dano which ultimately netted Saad so I'm not ready to question that part of him. The current prospect pool was really built by him and it's one of the best in the league. BUT, something tells me the writing is on the wall with management and dealing with his agent. If you're gonna fork over $8+ million to a superstar forward, you gotta know that you're gonna get what you pay for. Right now, nothing's motivating him. He's easily the laziest player on the team.

trifelife

We are playing the Flyers with a 4:00 PM start and I'm watching at a bar. Going to be wavy by 6:30, so let's do this alcoholicFlyersGAF 🍻🏄💊👽🖖

Quick

Banned
Torts is a John Davidson "guy" so he was likely top of the list the whole time. And I believe Boucher couldn't be hired by anyone over here due to contractual obligations because of how late in the year it is. Or something to that effect.

Boucher's contract with SC Bern didn't have an out-clause, so he was locked in. Point is moot since he's been fired.

Red_Man

That might also be Jarmo evaluating the trade market and recognizing that it's healthy enough to get an appropriate return for a player of Johansen's stature. Trades don't have to hurt your team in the long run if you can accurately evaluate the returning talent.
True, but very rarely does a team get an equal return when trading away guys like Johansen, probably why there's been a lot of smoke about him for a while now, but still hasn't been moved.

I mean he did snag Marko Dano which ultimately netted Saad so I'm not ready to question that part of him.
That's what I'm implying, if Jarmo does want to trade him, I'd be more weary as an opposing GM to take him, especially since the price will be ridiculous.

Quick

Banned

Foggy

That's what I'm implying, if Jarmo does want to trade him, I'd be more weary as an opposing GM to take him, especially since the price will be ridiculous.

Gotcha. They could trade and the new team could rent him until the end of next season but the return would never justify it. No trade makes sense unless Nashville could stomach letting go of Seth Jones and maybe a center prospect of some sort. But I wouldn't make that if I was NSH or CBJ.

Curufinwe

Since the team he has put together is a dumpster fire, being a good talent evaluator will help in his future career as a scout for another team.

Top Bottom