• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL December 2016 |OT| Best Christmas Since '93

Solo

Let's be honest too - the Habs have been pretty dishonest lately with injury news. Lest we forget the Carey Price saga of last year. I won't believe AGally could be back in 6 weeks til I see it. Hopefully he gets the Stamkos HGH treatment.

Cake Boss

Banned
Baby fat Ryan - 22gp 3G 5A 8points -$7,250,000

Traded for

Silfverberg - 27gp 8g 11A 19points - $3.75
Ritchie - 25gp 6g 2A 8 points - $0.9K
Noesen - 1gp 1G 1 point - $0.6K

8 points at $7.25M for 28 points at $5.25M

Not to mention the length of the contract for that out of shape fucker, his lack of foot speed, he is older and his injury history.

Brassardballs - 27gp 4g 7A 11points - $5M

For Zibby - 19 5g 10A 15 points - $2.62M

Not mention there is a 6 year age gap and we gave up a 2nd rounder on top of it!!!

Dat asset management, especially for a budget team that needs to find value in each contract it has.

Not to mention the length of the contract for that out of shape fucker, his lack of foot speed, he is older and his injury history.

Not mention there is a 6 year age gap and we gave up a 2nd rounder on top of it!!!

Dat asset management, especially for a budget team that needs to find value in each contract it has.

Don't forget Silfverberg is pretty good defensively. Ooh aah indeed. Bobby Ryan can be streaky though and score in bunches.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
After yesterday's MRI, Rick Nash is out for about a week. So that's probably 4 or 5 games or so, including 2 against the Blackhawks and our first meeting with the Debbies this year.

First up, though, it's the Jets tonight in Winnipeg.

At least Brassard is able to play for you right now. Zib is still going to be out for quite some time, probably until 2017.

Line_HTX

CzHOJQpWQAMr9gj.jpg

Did the leafs draft another bust? 🤔🤔🤔

Bah Gawd, that NBC graphic is irrefutable. Matthews is definitely a bust.

:eek:inkston

Don't forget Silfverberg is pretty good defensively. Ooh aah indeed. Bobby Ryan can be streaky though and score in bunches.
It is amazing how the Ooh Aah chant has hanged on. When I was a kid it was used as a chant for a big slow and gritty defenseman named Melkersson. And then when Silfverberg made it to the first team someone must have thought have thought that it sounded good, and now it is used in Honda center right?

Bobby Ryan was a PR trade to make up for Alfredsson walking away to Detroit.

I think everyone knew his best numbers were behind him although he's declined faster than anyone expected.

Cake Boss

Banned
Exactly, that's the problem with this franchise, always making reactionary short sided moves. Never being proactive and always having to catch up to the rest of the league.

Bobby Ryan was a PR trade to make up for Alfredsson walking away to Detroit.

I think everyone knew his best numbers were behind him although he's declined faster than anyone expected.

AR-150529739.jpg&maxh=400&maxw=667

Bargain Bob earned that GM of the Year award.

I didn't know Bobby Ryan's contract was so high. Is that what Ottawa signed him to or from the Anaheim contract (I thought he was more around 5-5.5 million per year)

I could understand being cheap. Being stupid with money is a whole other thing. :(

We'll take him back if you pay 3/4 of it.

br6.gif

bobbyryan.gif

He had other highlight reel goals from Ottawa.

I used to think he was priming himself to be a Teemu Selanna. Setting himself up at the faceoff dot ready for the one timer.

Solo

untitledszspa.jpg

Shots fired. You know he's a bust when the Toronto Sports Network, mother of all Leafs teet-sucking outlets, runs this on their front page.

calder

Ahhhh Lawless. The village idiot of Winnipeg sports, like Simmons and Botchford in their respective markets.

I'd agree but, technically, we have stupider. They just almost never get national play so they get to be low-key local idiots.

That being said, while Lawless is a noted buffoon he's not *always* wrong. He's actually expanded his giant head a bit over the last few years and honestly looked into "advanced stats" in a pretty commendable way. I appreciated how he engaged stats geeks a couple of years ago and gave them a legit chance to change his mind - in print - about that shit and they kinda did. Just ignore everything he says on TV because that's just him making noise and mooing about 'character' and shit like every former sports writer has to.

Yawnier

Banned
somebody is going to sign JVR to a contract like Babby's. Hopefully it isn't us. I'm pretty sure it won't be.
I like JVR but have a feeling he will be gone next season. Could get a decent penny for him at the TDL especially with his low-ish cap hit

Mirtle might be the most boring man alive on this planet.

edit: Hard to say what will happen with JVR. He's good, but not Babs Ryan risky contract good.

Heretic

It is amazing how the Ooh Aah chant has hanged on. When I was a kid it was used as a chant for a big slow and gritty defenseman named Melkersson. And then when Silfverberg made it to the first team someone must have thought have thought that it sounded good, and now it is used in Honda center right?
It's starting to pick up. Little by little.

Anaheim is right at the cap. I'm fine with the truth syrup. Can't afford nice things. Barely keeping this current lineup together. Forgot about Thompson coming back later and possibly Despres.
Despres' hockey career might be done :'(

god damn, I've never heard of/paid attention to this Lawless guy before, but that article has so much copypasta potential. Bookmarked for future use.

zroid

Banned
god damn, I've never heard of/paid attention to this Lawless guy before, but that article has so much copypasta potential. Bookmarked for future use.

i didn't read this particular article but generally i don't find Lawless too bad. i guess somebody's gotta blow smoke up Winnipeg's arse for TSN, eh?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Lars Eller points after 23 games:
2013-14: 13 pts
2014-15: 9 pts
2015-16: 8 pts
2016-17 (1st with Capitals): 3 pts
Another example of analytics not being the tell all some play them up to be. Shaw has been fantastic so far this season.

calder

.. how? Does Lawless post here? I disagree with some of his thoughts there but it's pretty clearly just his opinion and predictions for the future. He thinks one teenager will turn out to be slightly better than another teenager probably. Not sure it's shocking content exactly, there's hotter takes on most sites every day.

zroid

Banned
Another example of analytics not being the tell all some play them up to be. Shaw has been fantastic so far this season.

tbf I don't think anyone thought Eller was much better than Shaw (if at all). it seemed like Eller had been declining anyway.

trading Eller for two 2nds was widely seen as a win for MTL. but however Shaw has played this season so far I don't think there is any reasonable justification for giving back the two 2nds and signing him to that contract.

Top Bottom