• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2014 |OT| The A on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Asshole

MSL to the Canucks (E5)

lb9f2me.jpg

Edler for MSL.

Oh yeah, so my $150 stick that I bought to replace my $250 stick snapped on a one timer over the weekend. So now I'm 3 months from when I got my first new stick and $400 flushed away....

Welp, time to look at some new ones so that they can break within a month or 2 and be out another $150-250.

TUSR

Banned
Oh yeah, so my $150 stick that I bought to replace my $250 stick snapped on a one timer over the weekend. So now I'm 3 months from when I got my first new stick and $400 flushed away....

Welp, time to look at some new ones so that they can break within a month or 2 and be out another $150-250.

I broke 2 RS Stealth II sticks in a season. Thats $640 when they were out. Twigs man, the new sticks are so high performance that they sacrifice longevity.

I broke 2 RS Stealth II sticks in a season. Thats $640 when they were out. Twigs man, the new sticks are so high performance that they sacrifice longevity.

That is what just broke on me, I was working on tips right before hand, then went for a one timer and the blade just cracked right right in half. This one was only 150 when I got it but still, 2 sticks gone in 3 months.

Boomer confirmed on the radio this morning that he was talking about a MSL for Callahan swap. Used the qualifier "Unless someone gets cold feet" though which is the "saving my ass" portion of it. Only way that makes sense is if Marty requested a trade to the Rangers, or Callahan agrees to go with an extension, and probably then there'd be more involved. He said he first heard about it 4 weeks ago. Marty lives in CT during the summer, apparently close to where the Rangers practice facility is.

Should be an interesting week + at least.

I'll defer to Zero on whether or not it makes sense I suppose, I don't keep up much with the Lightning/East. On paper it makes sense to me but I've been wrong before.

Only if he requested a trade. If he's changed his mind, as Kyper reported that some GMs think he has, then it's not going to happen.

Also, Larry Brooks has shot this down, which was brought up on the show, but Boomer stuck to his sources, so who knows. Boomer has been right before. Called the lockout ending. Had MDZ for Klein trade recently. Has a lot of friends inside the Rangers organization.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I consider Boomer no more or less full of shit than most of the actual journos, and he probably has better access to the Rangers than most of them, so I guess we'll see.

At this point, I can't see Yzerman giving up MSL for Callahan unless Cally was signed. I also definitely believe it was far more likely to happen 4 weeks ago than it is now.

TUSR

Banned
That is what just broke on me, I was working on tips right before hand, then went for a one timer and the blade just cracked right right in half. This one was only 150 when I got it but still, 2 sticks gone in 3 months.

Brutal, the blade is one of the stronger parts of that stick too.

The ones I broke were both on one timers too.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Looks like Backes took two of the street dogs from Sochi home with him, pretty cool of him.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I am pretty certain I am going to learn to play ice hockey starting this year.

Please share with me your wisdom and racism as I slowly embark down this path.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Just play the white way and everything else will come easy.

As a guy who played lacrosse for a very large chunk of my life the stickhandling/passing/shooting/whatever is not at all a problem for me. I have better moves and stick work than half the guys I know who played hockey through high school. My poke/stick checks are better than pretty much everybody I know. Once I get an actual opportunity.

My skating absolutely blooowssssssss. I am terrible at crossover/turns and my backwards skating is non-existent. As a result, I can't keep up with any play and even if I get a solid opportunity while playing I screw it up because I'm more immobile than Hal Gill. So, in short:

Skating, skating, skating most important aspect and what to focus on the most.

Listen to this guy.

Quick

Banned

Are we talking rec hockey/playing with buddies, or full-on competitive?

Been playing with friends, nothing formal, light equipment (shin pads, helmet), and it's been a ton of fun. Skating is definitely most important. The rest comes naturally, I guess. Stick handling has been something that I've improved on a lot since I started a couple of months ago, I think. My skating's decent, though I can't skate backwards.

Acid08

Banned
Bracken Kearns waived, first move to free up some cap for Couture and Torres to come off of LTIR. Next move will be more interesting, thinking it might be a trade.

Don't buy a 250 dollar stick and then have it snap 2 days after the warranty expires, then go out and buy a new 150 dollar stick (on sale from 250), and have that one snap 2 months after you buy it. Then don't think about getting another 260 dollar stick to replace the new one as well as a 150 dollar backup so in case that new-new 260 dollar stick breaks, you have a replacement that you will probably break.

Make sense?

As a guy who played lacrosse for a very large chunk of my life the stickhandling/passing/shooting/whatever is not at all a problem for me. I have better moves and stick work than half the guys I know who played hockey through high school. My poke/stick checks are better than pretty much everybody I know. Once I get an actual opportunity.

My skating absolutely blooowssssssss. I am terrible at crossover/turns and my backwards skating is non-existent. As a result, I can't keep up with any play and even if I get a solid opportunity while playing I screw it up because I'm more immobile than Hal Gill. So, in short:

Listen to this guy.

Listen to this guy listening to that guy. I'm not a big guy by any means, I have hands and I have a decent shot but what saves me is that my skating is very, very good. Skating can make or break a player easily.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Don't buy a 250 dollar stick and then have it snap 2 days after the warranty expires, then go out and buy a new 150 dollar stick (on sale from 250), and have that one snap 2 months after you buy it. Then don't think about getting another 260 dollar stick to replace the new one as well as a 150 dollar backup so in case that new-new 260 dollar stick breaks, you have a replacement that you will probably break.

Make sense?
I asked you before but I think you got your mad crush of Cleary then and forgot to answer. What about that 'unbreakable' stick that is coming out soon? They were crowd funding it Abu think they're almost ready to go. They're pretty expensive but cheaper than going through 3-4 expensive sticks.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!

If you know how to skate, you've already won half the battle. One thing I wish I worked on more when I played hockey was my stick handling and puck control, so work on that :p

Make sense?

Ie. Use a wooden stick ;)

Moving St. Louis would make some amount of sense, other than being a franchise player, but to move him for Callahan? I feel they could get more.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah skating and puck handling are the two most important aspects. I suck balls at both growing up so I was never really any good.

If you know how to skate, you've already won half the battle. One thing I wish I worked on more when I played hockey was my stick handling and puck control, so work on that :p

Ie. Use a wooden stick ;)

They have composites that look like wood, but no way could I use a wooden stick these days.

I asked you before but I think you got your mad crush of Cleary then and forgot to answer. What about that 'unbreakable' stick that is coming out soon? They were crowd funding it Abu think they're almost ready to go. They're pretty expensive but cheaper than going through 3-4 expensive sticks.

I was looking at that today, apparently reviews aren't too bad on it, though it is a lot more expensive. But it seems to be just above average on feel and such with the added durability. I need to look into it more, but if my next sticks break, I may go ahead and look into it. The Colt Stick is what it is called.

Edit: Seriously, all these people that play and still no GAF pickup game, come on people!!!

Top Bottom