• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2014 |OT| The A on Dustin Brown's jersey stands for Asshole

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
You've been harping on this dude for hours. What's the deal bro?

I think I found the reason for his Devils hatred. This was the visitor's "bench" for today's game:

K4dXXsI.jpg

amazing. :lol

rofl what the fuck? I had no idea but that's amazing.

Was televised on NBC, just imagining how great that would've been if they had mentioned the Avs were given bar stools held together by tape as a bench.

Razorskin

----- ------
Phil Kessel's ascent a lesson for David Clarkson’s doubters: Cox

Which brings us to David Clarkson.
Clarkson, expected to return either against the Panthers or Lightning in the Sunshine State this week, hasn’t played well in his maiden season as a Leaf. His two prolonged absences — a 10-game suspension to start the season, and more recently, an injured elbow that has kept him out since Jan. 14 — have coincided with the most successful portions of the Leaf season.
Without Clarkson, the Leafs are 13-4-1.
With Clarkson, the Leafs are 17-17-5.
Comparing his situation with Kessel’s — and, make no mistake, they are very different hockey players — is instructive for two very different reasons.
First, individual stories can change, and change drastically. The player who initially appears to be the square peg being pounded into the round hole can look like the ideal fit a little further on down the road.
Second, having a strong understanding of the individual when a lucrative, long-term deal is being handed out can often be absolutely critical for the team involved.
The Leafs wanted more grit after losing that Boston series, and in Clarkson and David Bolland, they thought they had acquired it.
Bolland came already under contract. Clarkson was signed as an unrestricted free agent for which teams almost always pay a premium.
Nonis didn’t really know Clarkson any more than a GM of one team knows players on another. Everyone knew he was a Toronto kid, and Nonis knew he’d always stood up to be counted when the Leafs played the Devils.
What they didn’t know was how his personality, and background, might impact his ability to perform in his hometown.
Specifically, they didn’t know how a seven-year, $36.7-million contract might mess with his head, at least initially. Having cut loose Mikhail Grabovski and entered into a bidding war for Clarkson, Nonis chose to take the gamble with an athlete he didn’t really know on a personal level.
So far, Clarkson has yet to look comfortable as a Leaf, yet to play as a Leaf as he did as a Devil. He may yet. In fact, he probably will, once he finds a consistent spot in Randy Carlyle’s lineup.
As with Kessel, what looks lousy today might look great in a few months. Clarkson hasn’t even skated in a half-season as a Leaf. So it’s too early to label him a bust.
Still, this much is true — you never know how big money will affect an athlete, good or bad.
But maybe if you know the athlete, the chances of it being good are much better.

pSOWvrE.gif

Smiley90

The official Sochi mugshots are up

One of Canada's women has an amazing name
In case of Alfie, it's literally a mugshot:

V9KWpxo.png

Jonas Hiller everyone

2040500-168X210.jpg

Also, Ryan Kesler is one smug fucker

2021070-90X112.jpg

WHAT IS MILLER DOING WITH HIS EYEBROWS

2021065-90X112.jpg

TJ Oshie is... uh... is..... I don't wanna... uh... I don't know.

2021059-90X112.jpg

Kane is about 14

2021060-90X112.jpg

Stastny was never a good-looking fella

2021066-90X112.jpg

And to top it off, Phil "I didn't photoshop my head onto this picture" Kessel

2021138-90X112.jpg

TUSR

Banned
Anyone have experience with clearance delays shipping with FedEx?

My package didn't get through in Richmond, and now its in fucking Memphis?

Smiley90

Montreal: 3-6-1
Vancouver: 3-7-0
Sabres: 2-5-3
Kings: 1-8-1

That's three teams I wouldn't have expected at the very bottom before the season.

Smiley90

So apparently Diaz was leading the Canadiens in both even-strength goals against /60min and even-strength shots against/60min?

I dig it.

Bring on Hamhuis-Diaz while Tanev is out.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
So apparently Diaz was leading the Canadiens in both even-strength goals against /60min and even-strength shots against/60min?

I dig it.

Bring on Hamhuis-Diaz while Tanev is out.
Is that your second pairing? Diaz shouldn't be playing more then 15 mins, especially in the western conference where he'll get beat up.

Smiley90

Is that your second pairing? Diaz shouldn't be playing more then 15 mins, especially in the western conference where he'll get beat up.

We have four top6 defensemen injured. Beggars can't be choosers. Our only RD's left is our Utica-callup Rookie Corrado and then Diaz. Bieksa, Tanev and Weber are all injured. (And Alberts)

Also Diaz was logging top4 minutes in Montreal and did (statistically speaking) well, so I don't see the issue.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
We have four top6 defensemen injured. Beggars can't be choosers. Our only RD's left is our Utica-callup Rookie Corrado and then Diaz. Bieksa, Tanev and Weber are all injured. (And Alberts)

Also Diaz was logging top4 minutes in Montreal and did (statistically speaking) well, so I don't see the issue.
He hasn't played significant top 4 minutes since October, and when he did the Habs were on a hot run with Price playing his best hockey. He should be fine as a ban-daid, but when everyone's healthy his place will be on the 3rd pairing. He's a smart player, his problem is how small and soft he is. He can't clear guys in front of the net, and has a difficult time against big forwards fore checking, which is a much bigger issue in the West then it is in the East.

Jonas Hiller looks like a goddamn crackhead in his mugshot. My god.

TJ Oshie looks like a ham with hair.

Teams need to catch up cause the Ducks are getting lazy!

I have a soft spot for the BJs though so this doesn't hurt as much.

It's a good thing we've been losing to teams that aren't offensive. Jets and Blue Jackets? HOW COULD YOU HATE THEM?

Quick, sssh.

These next few games are gonna be subparrrr...

tumblr_myn4v2Fjck1qazkdco2_500.gif

These teams are pretty fowl no offense. =)

*golfclap*

And don't mind any aggression. Usually you get treated how you treat others in here.

Anger at teams is another thing entirely.

I was kidding and using my bad mojo on the Kings

Don't worry guys. Dustin Brown is still a cunt

tumblr_mxih6dMKPl1ry879zo1_400.gif

Curufinwe

That was a vey unexcepted but welcome win. The Schenn-Gutafsson pairing is really playing well. Giroux is going to be at a PPG soon despite his horrendous first month.

Samyy

I wonder if teams make the players get a flu shot.

I guess they gotta consider player's religions/personal beliefs but if I was a team investing so much money in these players I would want them all to have it.

MS new CEO is Indian, represent!

Cake Boss

Banned
ih4epEpJXl81D.gif

DAT STRONG ON THE PUCK
DAT BACKCHECK
DAT INTENSITY
DAT SKATING
DAT LEADERSHIP

The -31 Club:
Colin Greening with 15min of ice time
Milan Michalek with 18min of ice time

Our leading goal scoreres:
My Liege with 14 min
Bobby Ryan with 14min.

Best players play dawgs, especially when they go on line changes when the puck is turned over by El Captain fuckwad.

ih4epEpJXl81D.gif

DAT STRONG ON THE PUCK
DAT BACKCHECK
DAT INTENSITY
DAT SKATING
DAT LEADERSHIP

Colin Greening with 15min of ice time
Bobby Ryan with 14min.

Best players play dawgs, especially when they go on line changes when the puck is turned over by El Captain fuckwad.

Spezza for Edler?

He's got to go. In all my years following NHL I can't think of a more useless captain on and off the ice. Even when people wanted to run Alfie out of town in Ottawa he always played well.

I can't even recall a decent team that had one player drag everyone down so much.

I hope they buy his ass out in the summer if they can't swing a trade. They did it with Emery so Murray definately understands the concept of addition by subtraction.

Uhhh have we traded Spezza yet?
Good Job Good Effort Captain.

I think Da Costa has more now. #19 is fucking useless 5on5, he makes Kovalev look good.

Samyy

Spezza for Clarkson

You need leadership? Clarkson's your man, can manage your water bottles and has amazing patented speeches to get the guys motivated such as "Lets go boys!", "Get that puck deep!" and my personal favourite "Hard forecheck now boys!". Would look great with the C.

Don't have to worry about his on ice-performance suffering with the added pressure because it was non-existent in the first place!

Spezza for Clarkson

You need leadership?

We don't really need leadership, we just need him FUCKING GONE, like yesterday. Anything else is a bonus.

Dan Cleary is a fucking Hart nominee compared to Spezza. Sure he's good for a highlight reel pass or play every few weeks but he's cost us way more games and goals with his lazy ass non existent backchecking, he's the fucking captain! what an example!

I can't believe Karlsson gets crapped on as the worst defensive player on the Sens when you have Spezza floating around the ice letting people blow by him to score goals and then blames a teammate and Neal for lifting his stick LOL.

Cake Boss

Banned
Spezza for Clarkson

You need leadership? Clarkson's your man, can manage your water bottles and has amazing patented speeches to get the guys motivated such as "Lets go boys!", "Get that puck deep!" and my personal favourite "Hard forecheck now boys!". Would look great with the C.

Don't have to worry about his on ice-performance suffering with the added pressure because it was non-existent in the first place!

DONE.!!

He can entertain your mayor too.

jbwrKD2h0sm6h7.jpg

Samyy

I understand he's having a bad season but he was a real good player before, don't jump the gun.
Its possible management made a mistake making him captain and he can't handle the pressure, I don't know, but to give up on a player of that caliber after a poor season seems wasteful.

Montreal: 3-6-1
Vancouver: 3-7-0
Sabres: 2-5-3
Kings: 1-8-1

That's three teams I wouldn't have expected at the very bottom before the season.

Only saving grace for the kings is everyone below them is also losing consistently. Pretty lucky break for a team that has been phoning it in the last 15 or so games.

Cake Boss

Banned
I understand he's having a bad season but he was a real good player before, don't jump the gun.
Its possible management made a mistake making him captain and he can't handle the pressure, I don't know, but to give up on a player of that caliber after a poor season seems wasteful.

Hes been making the same mistakes and giving a half ass effort like that since his rookie season, it wasnt a problem then because the league was different where a 1 dimensional poor skating Center could get away with it, but now in this league your center needs to be a 200 foot player that can backcheck and skate. Plus with his injuries and the added captaincy, you get that.

Hes been making the same mistakes and giving a half ass effort like that since his rookie season, it wasnt a problem then because the league was different where a 1 dimensional poor skating Center could get away with it, but now in this league your center needs to be a 200 foot player that can backcheck and skate. Plus with his injuries and the added captaincy, you get that.

ibjjZa3yoYFCud.gif

Samyy

Spezza was a PPG centre for most of his career guys :lol
Turris and Zibby I'm sure they will be great for you but seriously they haven't proven anything. Next season they could be shit for all you know too, would you give up on them too?

If Spezza is having problems then I'm just wondering why the coach hasn't been able to address them more then half-way into the season.

Samyy

Where did you see he was out?

Last I saw he was going to fly on a different flight and was a game time decision.

I swear it was on twitter around 8-9 am this morning
Maybe they person just saw that he wasn't travelling with the team and assumed... dunno

Top Bottom