• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

Erdrick

Just read they sent Hellebuyck back to the moose....if anything Hutch should be sent down.

He'd be claimed off waivers and we'd lose him for nothing. Hellebuyck is exempt from that. That's the reasoning that I see, anyway.

I think Hutchinson is gone at the trade deadline. Just a hunch.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Canucks with an excellent effort for the tank, you dont see a 2-5 losing effort against an AHL competitor often

lol

Receipts, guy?

Oh wait, you let the CBC panel form your opinions for you.

No, that's not true.

My comment stems from the riots, and a game where the Canucks kept slashing Kessel's hand after the whistle when they refs weren't looking.

It's moreso about past iterations of the team -- because they seem to be more respectable these days -- but still.

I've also said this more than once in the past year plus.

dankir

CbI97J0UAAIcNbN.jpg

MMMMMMMMMM

*bites lip*

*Sweats*
Is this true???

Is this true???

Nick Kypreos was saying The best fit for Stamkos would be Montreal. I know he might've been talking out of his ass but it'd be nice to get him. Pacioretty Stamkos Gallagher sounds amazing on paper.

I'm ready to trade Plekanec if comes to that. Heck I'll trade Beaulieu too.

I think the only way we get rid of Desharnais is with Salary Retained

yyzjohn

Banned
The loafs games in hand on all the other teams are starting to annoy me, though

Chicago will give the Leafs a good beat down next game and burn one of those games in hand. Then Quenville will oil the tips of his stache and cackle like an old school villian.

zroid

Banned
This is interesting from Corrado:

To this point, no one knew that Corrado suffered a separated shoulder during the playoffs and played through it. It depends on degree, but generally it’s a 3-5 week rehab for NHL players before they can play again.

Q: Did that impact you for weeks?

Corrado: Months.

“It happened in the first round. It was Game 3 against Chicago. At home. I separated my shoulder. I played the rest of the playoffs with it.

“It’s one of those things that take a long time to heal. Throughout the summer, especially when you have a late summer like that, there wasn’t much I could do.

“I had to let it heal. When it got time where I could really push it, it was basically training camp.”

Corrado missed five games during the playoffs. Missing those games was not because of the separated shoulder.

In fact, in Round 2, Corrado broke his hand. The five games he missed were spent icing it.

So, he just played through a broken hand and a separated shoulder and was given up on by a team who concluded he had a poor training camp even though he couldn’t work out in the summer?

That’s some story, and it changes the complexion of what went down.
It also was a reason Corrado didn’t play much with the Leafs when he arrived.

“It was easier in (Toronto) because there was a plan. I knew they had a plan for me.

“They had a picture of when they wanted me to play.

“Knowing that there was a group who had a plan for me, made things easier.

“They talked to me, let me know.

“‘Keep getting stronger,’ they said.

“The time off, I got a lot of time to work out and that helped because I missed the time in the summer.”

The blather about their being a rift between Lou and Babcock about Corrado (the waiver claimed 6/7 prospect) was just media-crafted nonsense? I'm shocked!

yyzjohn

Banned
The blather about their being a rift between Lou and Babcock about Corrado (the waiver claimed 6/7 prospect) was just media-crafted nonsense? I'm shocked!

It's amazing how little info the media in Toronto now has on the Leafs. Shanahan and now Lou shut the loose lips down pretty quick. Love that they're able to go about their business without all the media drama of previous eras.

Socreges

Banned
This is interesting from Corrado:
Damn he salty

So, he just played through a broken hand and a separated shoulder and was given up on by a team who concluded he had a poor training camp even though he couldn’t work out in the summer?
Well, article writer, he wasn't good enough to be on the roster. Straight up. Hutton thoroughly outplayed him, whatever the reasons. Shame it didn't work out for the Canucks.

eyeless

they should get a hockey player who is good at defense to play w/ rielly

if they were to ask me that's what i would suggest to them

Jess Myers ‏@JessRMyers 18m18 minutes ago

Vanek, asked if he talked to Yeo after the announcement: "I haven't talked to Mike since he scratched me in St. Louis." #mnwild

For reference, that was one week before Yeo was fired. Yeo apparently didn't talk to one of the biggest stars on the team that is quite possibly under-performing the most for an entire week through three games?

No fucking wonder he was fired.

So wouldn't the next step be firing yourself if that's the case?

The next step is him losing his job. If his next coach is not up to snuff, he's gone.

zroid

Banned
For reference, that was one week before Yeo was fired. Yeo apparently didn't talk to one of the biggest stars on the team that is quite possibly under-performing the most for an entire week through three games?

No fucking wonder he was fired.

Woah. Shit is hitting the fan in Minny.

Cactus

Banned
I do like the Wild as a team, but it might be time to be thinking rebuild. Unfortunately Granlund and Brodin don't seem to be panning out like some had hoped. Had they have lived up to expectations, they could more seamlessly transition from the old core to the young.

Even prospects like Alex Tuch have had their stock drop since being drafted.
They've made some pretty terrible cap- and contract-related decisions over the last few years. It'll be hard to claw out of that and rebuild.

I do like the Wild as a team, but it might be time to be thinking rebuild. Unfortunately Granlund and Brodin don't seem to be panning out like some had hoped. Had they have lived up to expectations, they could more seamlessly transition from the old core to the young.

That was definitely the plan.

Guys like Zucker and Nino were supposed to be goal scorers. They are, but they are streaky as hell. 20-25 goal scorers if things go right. This season just hasn't been going right at all. Granlund was supposed to be the next big playmaker. But he's so small he gets pushed around easily. Coyle was supposed to be a jack of all trades and is actually the only one of the young group hitting his potential.

Brodin just never developed any offense. He's great defensively, but that only takes you so far. The defense is good bordering on great. Scandella, Spurgeon, Brodin, Dumba is a fantastic U25 core going forward. The defense is in a good spot, but the offense is terrible.

And all the big high profile forwards are declining and/or are untradeable. Vanek has one year left, great. But NTC/NMC. Pominville has like 4 + NMC/NTC and Russo, Wild writer, speculates a lot that he will be bought out this summer. Koivu only has a few years left and has been declining, yet still has an NTC/NMC. So many of these guys just can't be moved until their contracts run out. Pretty much impossible to rebuild when you can't do anything.

Even prospects like Alex Tuch have had their stock drop since being drafted.

He wasn't picked to the U20 team, sure, but since then he took it like a champ and is ppg since. Not fantastic, but still pretty good. Eriksson Ek has been good though. Just last week he had 5 goals/7 points in three games. Kaprizov has been good in Russia.

The prospects overall haven't been good though. Add in that Fletcher traded away draft picks like candy the last few years for unproductive rentals and it's no wonder the Wild are in the spot they're in.

Top Bottom