• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

Foggy

Korpisalo in net again tonight. 8-1-3 with 1.94 GAA and .942 in his last 12 games. The Finnish anti-tank force of one.

yyzjohn

Banned
Isn't 2018 projected to be a defenseman? Ryan Merkley most likely going 1OA

2017 is mainly forwards at the top so far

Edmonton might as well trade their first overall pick this year, they can always replenish it with their subsequent first overall selections from 2017-2027.

Entropia

No One Remembers
This is probably what happened with "gauging the market"

A GM called Berg: "Hey, you wanna move Subban at all?"

Berg: "No."

Other GM: "Ok thanks"

Report: "Subban's name thrown in trade mix?!"

Curufinwe

Ummm, yes? You're talking about a Norris winner superstar NHL d-man in the prime of his career vs a guy who has 0 games NHL experience.

Matthews is a sure thing, though. He'll already be 19 with a year of pro experience, and could be the 1C on a team like Montreal.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The only problem with that is that the Oilers' 1st isn't guaranteed to be Matthews...

Solo

I don't believe in "sure things" when entering the NHL. There have just been too many busts, and conversely too many guys who werent supposed to become anything come out of nowhere and become superstars for me to believe in it.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The only problem with that is that the Oilers' 1st isn't guaranteed to be Matthews...

this is why no high lottery pick will be traded before the draft lottery... which is 2 months from now

I don't believe in "sure things" when entering the NHL. There have just been too many busts, and conversely too many guys who werent supposed to become anything come out of nowhere and become superstars for me to believe in it.

2012 draft says it all at how wrong everyone was

Yawnier

Banned
When is even the last top time a top 5 draft pick was traded in the NHL, before or at the draft?

Aside from the Seguin pick in 2010 (Burke you dumbass)

Solo

Subban, who leads Montreal with 44 points and has 18 points in 21 games since Jan. 1, is in the second year of an eight-year, $72 million contract with a no-trade clause that kicks in on July 1.

That seems unusual to me, although I'm ignorant about the particulars of NHL contracts. Is it normal for a NTC to kick in 2 years into a contract? Seems like that sort of thing would typically start day 1.

yyzjohn

Banned
When is even the last top time a top 5 draft pick was traded in the NHL, before or at the draft?

Yeah doesn't happen that often, I remember the Leafs trading up to #5 and wasting that pick on Schenn.

Fun fact: Karlsson was the 7th D taken in that draft.

That seems unusual to me, although I'm ignorant about the particulars of NHL contracts. Is it normal for a NTC to kick in 2 years into a contract? Seems like that sort of thing would typically start day 1.

Was he going to be an RFA or UFA when he signed his deal? Maybe that's when he would have become a UFA?

DopeyFish

some contracts have certain years open and closed

even some players have the last year of the contract open for mobility

but then... sometimes someone will mike richards you

I just want this season to end. I think, I'll watch Blue Jays and Raptors from this point on.

Just get the Top Draft pick and move on Montreal. *sigh*

Yawnier

Banned
Yeah doesn't happen that often, I remember the Leafs trading up to #5 and wasting that pick on Schenn.

Fun fact: Karlsson was the 7th D taken in that draft.

Eugh I had blocked out Cliff Fletcher trading up for Schenn. At least we salvaged a JVR out of that flustercluck.

Also I just went on wikipedia to look, and looks like the other time before that trade was when Carolina drafted Andrew Ladd with Columbus' 4th overall pick in 2004 (lumbus traded down from 4th to 8th to draft a bust).

imBask

Banned
I just want this season to end. I think, I'll watch Blue Jays and Raptors from this point on.

Just get the Top Draft pick and move on Montreal. *sigh*

I know you're not a fan of soccer but if the Impact are smart, they'll go HARD on the marketing next month to try and compete with this garbage pile of a season

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

well... that's how the Canucks got the Sedins (Burke you genius)

Solo

The season is lost, so Id like to see the Habs sell off their UFAs (Weise, Gilbert, Fleischmann), move Emelin and one of Plekanec or Eller, and give some of the AHL kids like McCarron or Scherbek a chance. Can't get any worse at this point anyway.

The season is lost, so Id like to see the Habs sell off their UFAs (Weise, Gilbert, Fleischmann), move Emelin and one of Plekanec or Eller, and give some of the AHL kids like McCarron or Scherbek a chance. Can't get any worse at this point anyway.

I don't want any of the rookies called up this season. Next Season definitely.

DopeyFish

i hope we tank for marco rossi in 2019

would be pretty amazing for an austrian to go first overall...

dude started playing U15 as a 10 year old and U17 as a 13 year old
and lead his teams in PPG

CbmLQ0vUsAA3UHJ.jpg

PK da god unfazed.

Socreges

Banned
In one year's time you'll look back at this conversation and wish you'd made that totally real trade with Socreges.

Merguson

Banned
I just had a look at that draft... Outside of the Sedins that first round was turrible. Busts everywhere.

Let's see who the Leafs drafted at 24th overall.

Luca Cereda.

Hmm.. that's not a name I'm familiar with. Probably because he had zero NHL games in his career.

EDIT: Leafs had a total of 3 NHL games played from that draft, lol.

Solo

In one year's time you'll look back at this conversation and wish you'd made that totally real trade with Socreges.

In 1 year's time Matthews will be on the Habs anyway. They'll get the #1 pick because they'll finish in the bottom 5 in the league and they'll cash in Bettman's favor for John Scott to rig the lottery so that the Habs pick #1.

Yawnier

Banned
Let's see who the Leafs drafted at 24th overall.

Luca Cereda.

Hmm.. that's not a name I'm familiar with. Probably because he had zero NHL games in his career.

EDIT: Leafs had a total of 3 NHL games played from that draft, lol.

That Cereda guy had a heart defect or something like that and he had to retire early. So there's that I guess.

Top Bottom