• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

zroid

Banned
If the Habs trade Patches, then all four Canadian teams East of SK will have traded their captains in the last couple years

zroid

Banned
This story by James Mirtle on a former London Knight whose life has been doomed by CTE is pretty incredible http://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...gles-with-concussions-hockey/article28929084/

Frid is a former enforcer. He fought hundreds of times over three years of junior hockey and eight seasons in the lower minor leagues. By his count, he has had at least 75 concussions, including multiple times where he was knocked unconscious. He’s 41 but appears much older. Even on good days, he struggles with basic tasks like bending down to pick something up. His hands have been broken so many times that he labours to do up his shirt buttons; his nose is so battered he often can’t breathe out of it.

But it’s the damage to his brain that is most troubling. His long-term memory is poor. He has anxiety disorder and headaches and usually can’t sleep through the night. One neurologist believes Frid shows early signs of Parkinson’s disease. Another has diagnosed him with dystonia, a movement disorder that causes painful muscle contractions in his legs, feet and hands.

Frid is likely living with chronic traumatic encephalopathy (CTE), the degenerative disease that is being found posthumously at an alarmingly high rate in the brains of many former football and hockey players. He never made the NHL, but is an example of the damage that can be done in hockey’s minor circuits, where a higher level of violence is the norm.

Declared permanently disabled in his mid-30s, Frid believes he is now fighting for his life. He is certain that he has an advanced form of CTE – “Stage III or IV,” he says – but wants to become an advocate for former players in his situation. He wants junior leagues to eliminate fighting, which he calls “legalized violence among minors.” And he wants to warn parents about kids following his path. Most of all, he doesn’t want anyone else to end up like him, abandoned by the game.

“I won’t last another few years,” he said.

My Original Xbox died today :(

Ki8eqBZ.gif

my OG has been hanging on still.

Also still been mainly playing PS2/OGXbox games the past couple months

Jake is out for tomorrow's game :(

I passed through LoDo on my way to a doctor's appointment today. Lots of people in Avs gear this morning so that was good to see. I walked by a guy in a Frankenstein Red wings/Avalanche jersey and it was the worst thing I have seen. There was also a guy next to him in a Wild jersey for no reason at all. Both those people suck.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
In the midst of all the trade silliness, Rangers legend (for real this time!) and Hall of Famer Andy Bathgate passed away today.

malfcn

I only care about the alumni game.
Wish Patty would wear the 570 leg pads they made him, instead he upgraded to modern leg pads.

Chris R

Wish

a) This wasn't on so early

and

b) That I could watch it in HD on my TV

Shitty Youtube restream it is, since it's not on NHL.TV for some fucking reason you idiots in Toronto.

Top Bottom