• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2016 |OT| Parlez-vous tankçais?

Yawnier

Banned
This is an unconditional win for the Leafs, right? No idea how this makes sense for the Sens. Leafs got a bunch of junk and a pick, but that junk has a short shelf life. Meanwhile Sens got some junk and an albatross.

I don't know who wins this trade. I'm still processing it but am so glad that the pylon is gone. He was dragging Gardiner down.

We did have to take Michalek, Cowen, and Greening back which is a good amount of cap but though their contracts do expire in 2017, next year......

Wow. We're going to be terrible now.

Good. Tank tank tank.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's a win for both, for what each team is doing

Kinda like the clarkson / horton trade
They got the best player out of that who is a legit NHLer. We got spare parts, a B level prospect, an injured player along with a 2nd rounder.

I don't know what we blackmailed Murray with...our cap is going to be fucking AWESOME end of next season.

Foggy

I think it's a win for both, for what each team is doing

Kinda like the clarkson / horton trade

In truth it was only a "win" for Columbus ownership in that they don't have to pay Horton. As a team, sure would have been nice to swallow the bill and use the cap space. Besides,Clarkson has only played in maybe 15 more games than Horton at this point.

Samyy

I'm assuming Cowen has value due to the cap hit credit stuff so they might either use that or trade him somewhere.

Cactus

Banned
Wowowowow. What a trade. The prospects we gave up are pretty bad, and Frattin is terrible. Don't mind taking salary dumps; the cap relief in two years will be worth it. I doubt Cowen sticks around past this season, though.

That being said, I'm sad to see Dion go. I thought he got a lot more shit than he deserved.

zroid

Banned
If they actually play Cowen out the rest of the season holy shit that is some serious ammo for the tank

he might get trade because of the cap credit stuff tho

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Phaneuf is a good defensman now?

Who's the silly one now.

I don't know how well he's playing this season, but I have no doubt he's an upgrade over Cowen.

Cowen is literally the definition of dumb as bricks. I hope he develops well under the Leafs but considering that Toronto is a bigger pressure cooker situation than Ottawa, it's difficult to see how he can be better.

The player I'm gonna miss the most is Michalek, but he seems to only play half a season these days.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
As a Habs fan looking in, I thought Dion was a good Captain, no problems with him. He's gonna help SNES and Karlsson a lot.

He was a solid captain. Just unfortunately signed a huge contract when he's not a #1.

I just hope the idiots don't boo him when he plays in Toronto.

Delryk

What I got from the trade

Phaneuf for 2nd rd draft pick = sounds about right.
Lindberg for Bailey = i'll take that any day!

the rest is all scrubs.

Holy. Fucking. Shit. Phaneuf is gone!? And he's a Senator!? Wow.

Glad we got rid of that contract, but not happy about how much we took back. The pick is nice, though.

zroid

Banned
I worry Gardiner will be more exposed than ever. Phaneuf wasn't a great player, but he is miles better than whomever Babcock decides to stick in his place.

You got that backwards, man. Gardiner has been carrying Phaneuf all season. Jake is our best D-man by far.

It's too early to say. Phaneuf hasn't played on a team with a clear-cut 1D since, well, maybe ever?

Phaneuf has zero value to the Leafs at this point. He's 30 years old and a 3/4 at best, playing on a rebuilding team, making $7M till he's 36. There is no way to view this as anything but a victory for the Leafs. Whether it will be a good trade for the Sens remains to be seen. Hopefully it will.

Samyy

Ah remember when TSN tried to peddle that "on the fly rebuild" bullshit when no one was getting traded at the draft? Good times.

Quick

Banned
Honestly I think Phaneuf could do well in Ottawa.

He was asked to do way too much in Toronto.

Phaneuf came into a situation where there was no clear-cut leader, and took over the room. In a room where Tomas Kaberle was the most respected member of the team at the time, he took the C. And not to mention guys like Beauchemin and Kubina who were vying for leadership roles.

He seemed to have been a good locker room guy overall, and deserving of the captaincy. He was also able to be a bullet sponge for the media, and he played that role well too.

Ron Wilson and the media made a big deal about his first game in the locker room, where he basically took over command of the room by playing his music. And that was what the Leafs needed at the time. Not just that, but he had the distinction of being a Calder nominee with Alex Ovechkin and Sidney Crosby on the same ballot, and (at the time) two-time All-Star, not even mentioning his stats in Calgary.

Not saying that shouldn't have been the case, but there might've just been too much pressure for him to keep up and improve that level of play, mixed in with possible poor coaching decisions, and just overabundant expectations in general.

I'm not sure if giving him complementary pieces would've helped at this stage, I feel like that should've been done five years earlier. He did have guys like Beauchemin and Kubina, and to a lesser extent, Komisarek and Schenn to work with, but that just wasn't the right fit, or Wilson just didn't give a fuck.

That being said, I think there's a huge opportunity for him to play to his strengths with Karlsson (if he gets paired with him). Phaneuf can still skate well enough, but his shot isn't as accurate and his overall offensive abilities have been diminished. At best, he can dish to Karlsson. And if shit goes south in the offensive zone, Karlsson's good to cover. But on the other hand, he can still hit, at least cover the defensive zone, and could still eat up a ton of minutes.

Quick

Banned
I worry Gardiner will be more exposed than ever. Phaneuf wasn't a great player, but he is miles better than whomever Babcock decides to stick in his place.

I'm actually excited to see the (former) Roommates paired up again. Babcock was playing around with that during pre-season, but didn't really use that pairing much, if at all, this season.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Ah remember when TSN tried to peddle that "on the fly rebuild" bullshit when no one was getting traded at the draft? Good times.

Good times indeed.

I am loving the combo of Masai/Shanahan/Lou as the front offices of the Toronto teams, no leaks, all hush hush and then bam deals out of nowhere.

So if Dion Phagoof can be traded, David Desharnais can be traded as well, same with Emelin

"Trades are Hard"

Fuck You, Bergevin trade them please.

Silexx

Hahah Murray just said to the media that he's shocked that they didn't know Sens and Leafs were talking for so long.

I kind of think it's a terrible trade for the Senators, but they did get an upgrade on D and barely had to give up anything. Considering Byfuglien just signed for $7M+ yesterday, a legit defenceman would be very hard to come by via free agency or trade. The Senators are also young enough to not have Phaneuf's contract be a huge burden when it's up.

zroid

Banned
I mean in the sense that we could see Cowen playing with him, or Corrado.

oh yeah, the rest of this season won't be pretty. lol

But now that Gardiner doesn't have to carry Phaneuf around, maybe Babs will pair him with Rielly? Long term I could see that being a reliable pairing.

Samyy

Good times indeed.

I am loving the combo of Masai/Shanahan/Lou as the front offices of the Toronto teams, no leaks, all hush hush and then bam deals out of nowhere.

Its still weird seeing them make competent moves
Might be worthwhile to have Gardiner pump up Polaks value for the next few weeks too :p

Top Bottom