• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

Syrinx

The beautiful thing about Duchene is that we don't have to trade him, so unless the value proposition is fair he's not going anywhere.

Also, you and the Coyotes are really the only teams completely out of the playoff picture. Shaping up to be a major seller's market at the deadline.

Solo

Duchene will likely still be on the Avs after Mar. 1. Landeskog too, I'm betting. Gonna be another dud of a deadline day.

yyzjohn

Banned
You're right, but I feel like Avs fans won't be happy with any return they get for him, especially after the Hall - Larrson trade.

Why does everyone have to reference the Hall / Larsson trade as the be-all and end-all of trade value now? That's one deal, not like all future transactions will be measured against it. "Well the Oilers had to give up Hall and only got Larsson so we can't possibly do this deal". You see all types of deals at the deadline, some are duds and some are steals. When a team is going for it and time's running out you never know what stupid moves a GM can make. Look at when McPhee traded Forsberg.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why does everyone have to reference the Hall / Larsson trade as the be-all and end-all of trade value now? That's one deal, not like all future transactions will be measured against it. "Well the Oilers had to give up Hall and only got Larsson so we can't possibly do this deal". You see all types of deals at the deadline, some are duds and some are steals. When a team is going for it and time's running out you never know what stupid moves a GM can make. Look at when McPhee traded Forsberg.
Hall is one of the best wingers in the entire league, it set a precedent that other GMs will be using as a comparison in negotiations. Hall is established just like Duchene, the Forsberg trade was stupid but he was also just a prospect at the time.

When is the last time a player of Duchene's calibre was traded and the return was decent to great? The return on these kind of players is almost always a let down.

imBask

Banned
Hall is one of the best wingers in the entire league, it set a precedent that other GMs will be using as a comparison in negotiations. Hall is established just like Duchene, the Forsberg trade was stupid but he was also just a prospect at the time.

When is the last time a player of Duchene's calibre was traded and the return was decent to great? The return on these kind of players is almost always a let down.

we got Weber, and they got a herniated disc !

yyzjohn

Banned

Also a different time of year, Hall trade was in the summer, this is the deadline. Different times of the season and you get different values placed in players, contracts etc. It's like anything else when trading goods, the value of something is as high as someone else is willing to pay, I wouldn't put much stock in the Hall trade and think that GMs are suddenly going to use that as a measuring stick now.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So Dan Girardi only barely skated today. He's going to try again tomorrow, but it's looking pretty unlikely that he plays against Colorado tomorrow.

Henrik Lundqvist gets the start again tomorrow night. It will be his first shot at trying to get career win #400.

Lets not forget that the Hall trade happened while the GM responsible for it was saying he'd never once shopped Hall. At minimum that tells me he wanted to ship Hall out of there first and foremost and that his concern for return value was secondary, why on earth would you lie and not own it? In what scenario does that say you're willing to wait to get what a player is worth, and not just that you wanted a trade?

Socreges

Banned
Price for Crawford? /s

By Boringness probably Desharnais for Burrows and Virtanen
giphy.gif

Hall for Larsson isn't a precedent setting trade. It's one of those one-offs where a team was willing to accept less than market value in order to achieve a roster objective.

imBask

Banned
yeah, as if Mister 1 pass in 10 games and now back in the minor league Virtanen was worth more than Desharnais

if anything you'll have to add a pick

Hall for Larsson isn't a precedent setting trade. It's one of those one-offs where a team was willing to accept less than market value in order to achieve a roster objective.

This is what I see as well.

And although we still do need some defense, we're not as desperate for it as we were even at the beginning of the year even with Johnson out. Zadorov is emerging and we've got two fairly promising prospects to eventually bring up and look over. Our biggest issues are:

Top players not producing and clearly giving up on games. Leadership is highly suspect.

Supporting cast has gone total shit tier and they all need to go. Easy enough.

Varlamov did not play even average for most of the year, may have been injured for all of it may not have been. Pickard finding stability back there should be our biggest coaching priority right now, and I hope we protect him over Varlamov regarding the draft.

We're not desperate to ship anyone important away. Even if Iginla stays, this is his last year here.

Curufinwe

Young top 4 dmen having disproportionate value is here to stay, particularly right handers.

Pikma

Banned
Which is why I find mocking the goalies all the time little weird. Dallas is probably the worst team in whole NHL to play as a goalie. Overly offensive tactics and horrible defense. Of course both Lehtonen and Niemi has let too many soft goals too but part of the reason is that in team like Dallas it's impossible to try to build confidence after bad games when everyone blames you and you know that in next game the opposing team will again have a billion great goal scoring chances. At least last year you made enough goals to win games.
No no no

These mistakes are being made by everyone on the team yes, but the goaltenders have been especially bad. Stats don't lie!

Also, the goalies don't have any preasure at all because acording to their GM and their coach the issue lies on the offense because they don't score enough goals to support their goaltenders. Yes, that's something Nill said.

Apparently team management thinks it's perfectly normal, and totally sustainable, to win every game with a score of 6-5

And they pay them a shitload of money anyway so excuses mean shit, nobody expects them to be any kind of elite goaltending tandem, they just have to be competitive, you know, get the job done, but I guess that's too much to ask from these finnish fuckers
Last night.

Own goal every game? Whaaa?
Nah but they allow sh goals and such all the time, and dumb mistakes like that are always the reason

calder

As long as his gimlet eye is fixed on Leafs GAF it's impossible for Soc to go "too far" since he can never go far enough.

megachao24

Unconfirmed Member
Maybe I need a third team, the Stars and Devils just won't do

Montreal Maroons
St. Louis Eagles
Brooklyn Americans
California Golden Seals
Quebec Nordiques
Hartford Whalers
San Antonio Iguanas

Maybe some random SHL or KHL team or something.

Top Bottom