• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

Solo

Patches carried the team, if anyone calls him a shitty captain again you should find another team to cheer for.

Get AGally back on that top line, that is all.

He's having a great second half. No question. But I still think he is a lazy floater gifted with an elite shot and not a great leader (2 seasons and 2 collapses during his tenure now), and both of those things arent likely to change for me. Also, it's not necessarily even a bad thing to just be a sniper like Patches is. It's great to have one and goals win games.

As far as fandom, I've been cheering for the Habs since 1989, so nah... I think I'm good.

Solo

Besides, what we should be talking about isn't whether Patches is gud or not. We should be talking about what in the actual fuck is wrong with Price. He looks as bad as he did in the season he lost his job to Halak. That's the Price I'm seeing out there.

imBask

Banned
Besides, what we should be talking about isn't whether Patches is gud or not. We should be talking about what in the actual fuck is wrong with Price. He looks as bad as he did in the season he lost his job to Halak. That's the Price I'm seeing out there.

he had a kid

kids do that to you

I expect Fubar to start posting weird tired incoherent stuff soon

Cake Boss

Banned
He's having a great second half. No question. But I still think he is a lazy floater gifted with an elite shot and not a great leader (2 seasons and 2 collapses during his tenure now), and both of those things arent likely to change for me. Also, it's not necessarily even a bad thing to just be a sniper like Patches is. It's great to have one and goals win games.

As far as fandom, I've been cheering for the Habs since 1989, so nah... I think I'm good.

lmao if you don't agree with my opinion then please leave.

Solo

he had a kid

kids do that to you

I expect Fubar to start posting weird tired incoherent stuff soon

I know but.....and maybe I'm being too presumptuous here....are NHL dads really the same as normal dads? I feel like these guys are so sheltered in every facet of life. Like, I doubt Carey is running to change diapers or console a crying infant at 2am. Hell, his wife probably isn't either. They probably have a live-in nanny.

But maybe I'm too cynical when it comes to rich athletes and sympathizing with them. All I know is Carey has been legit shook for 2.5 months now.

On another note, if the playoffs started today it'd be Habs/Rags.....I think that's a first round exit for the Habs.

I know but.....and maybe I'm being too presumptuous here....are NHL dads really the same as normal dads? I feel like these guys are so sheltered in every facet of life. Like, I doubt Carey is running to change diapers or console a crying infant at 2am. Hell, his wife probably isn't either. They probably have a live-in nanny.

But maybe I'm too cynical when it comes to rich athletes and sympathizing with them. All I know is Carey has been legit shook for 2.5 months now.
Whenever I see something about Swedish NHL players in their own home, it always strikes me how "normal" they are.

But maybe that has to do with the fact that they usually spend their first years with the family of a teammate. Like how Karlsson stayed with Alfie and Backström with Nylander. It seems to be the normal with kids running around causing a havoc and playing street hockey indoors.

imBask

Banned
Whenever I see something about Swedish NHL players in their own home, it always strikes me how "normal" they are.

But maybe that has to do with the fact that they usually spend their first years with the family of a teammate. Like how Karlsson stayed with Alfie and Backström with Nylander. It seems to be the normal with kids running around causing a havoc and playing street hockey indoors.

it's not a swedish thing, Gallagher lived with Gorges, Crosby lived with Lemieux, etc

Solo

Looking at the standings, Ottawa has 4 games in hand on Montreal. If they won all 4, they'd leapfrog Montreal. Setting up a round 1 matchup of Toronto vs Montreal. Oh lawd yes, make it happen.

PillarEN

If the mom assumes the role of housewife (and I say that with respect not with disdain) then there probably isn't a nanny. Maybe a relative helping out most likely. I mean these people grew up with families. They weren't plucked away from a baby cottage and then were force fed hockey sticks before they could even walk.

yyzjohn

Banned
Looking at the standings, Ottawa has 4 games in hand on Montreal. If they won all 4, they'd leapfrog Montreal. Setting up a round 1 matchup of Toronto vs Montreal. Oh lawd yes, make it happen.

Could you really handle being eliminated by the Leafs?

yyzjohn

Banned
C'mon now. Habs might be in for another disappointing playoff run, but it'd be men vs boys out there. Habs in 5.

Don't be so sure man. Habs would be the favorites and have to prove they're legitimate contenders. Leafs would have no pressure, the team wasn't even expected to make the playoffs this season. If the rookies have a big series, it could go the other way. Of course all depends on what form the goalies are in too.

you're stepping into dopeylusional territory here

I'm not the one saying who'll win in how many games in this hypothetical first round series. There's a still a good chance they won't even make it and at the end of the day that would still be a successful season. If anyone's delusional it's Solo because the only reason he wants the Leafs in the first round is because he thinks it would be an easy win. That's how deep his Therrien love goes, I guess.

imBask

Banned
I'm not the one saying who'll win in how many games in this hypothetical first round series. There's a still a good chance they won't even make it and at the end of the day that would still be a successful season. If anyone's delusional it's Solo because the only reason he wants the Leafs in the first round is because he thinks it would be an easy win. That's how deep his Therrien love goes, I guess.

Every team in the league, including the Avalanches, would march over the Leafs in the playoffs this year. He's not that far off

Solo

Don't be so sure man. Habs would be the favorites and have to prove they're legitimate contenders. Leafs would have no pressure, the team wasn't even expected to make the playoffs this season. If the rookies have a big series, it could go the other way. Of course all depends on what form the goalies are in too.

Badly coached men limping into the playoffs vs. High-octane youth making it against all odds. It wouldn't be as clear-cut as you think.

Even though he's been shit for 2 months, we have Carey Price. So goaltending is in Habs favor. Then you add playoff experience, of which the Habs have a ton (if you want to consider the Habs' "core" as existing since AGally was drafted, then they've had a divisional semifinal, a conference final, and a divisional final under their belts in 4 years), and Leafs basically none. And I think the Habs are a deeper team on offense and defense. Leafs do have the clearcut better coach, but I dunno man, I can't see a scenario in which this years Leafs beat this years Habs over 7 games. I just can't. But crazier things have happened.

Either way, I'd LOVE to see it - that series hasn't happened in any of our lifetimes (aside from Schuey's). It would break all of CBC's ratings records.

imBask

Banned
Yeah, we've never seen playoff upsets before from a heavily favored team.

I've never seen a heavily favored team lose to a team with a defense as putrid as yours, no

and i'm sure the great playoff experience from your 19 year old players will carry you to the cup!

is this HFBoards or something?

yyzjohn

Banned
I've never seen a heavily favored team lose to a team with a defense as putrid as yours, no

and i'm sure the great playoff experience from your 19 year old players will carry you to the cup!

You don't exactly have the best track record of predictions. You're the same guy that said the Leafs and Oilers would be 29th and 30th this year. That's not exactly working out as you thought huh?

Zombie_James

8c3.gif

imBask

Banned
You don't exactly have the best track record of predictions. You're the same guy that said the Leafs and Oilers would be 29th and 30th this year. That's not exactly working out as you thought huh?

I didn't predict that, I said that you guys had the worse defense in the league and I stand by it

imBask

Banned
Let's just all unite and imagine a CBC Leafs/Habs playoff series opening montage.

55 clip of Auston Matthews, 1 of Price

followed by an interview with Matthews mom

and then Matthews sings the national anthem

Matthews

Auston

Matthews

"well the canadiens won but at least Auston Matthews got some experience in that! Congratulation to Auston Matthews"

Solo

Yeah it's insane. That's why I always laugh when people call the Leafs the Habs' fiercest rival. Lol, not in my lifetime. In my lifetime, it's the Bruins. I'm 33, and in my 33 years Habs have met the Leafs 0 times in the playoffs. But they've met Boston 16 times in the playoffs in those 33 years, which is fucking insane. That's basically a series every second season for my whole life. And some unforgettable ones in there. 2002, 2004, 2011 and 2014 are all etched into my soul.

They also met 9 years in a row from 1984 to 1992 and 9 out of 10 years from 1984 to 1994 :eek:

Socreges

Banned
Yeah it's insane. That's why I always laugh when people call the Leafs the Habs' fiercest rival. Lol, not in my lifetime. In my lifetime, it's the Bruins. I'm 33, and in my 33 years Habs have met the Leafs 0 times in the playoffs. But they've met Boston 16 times in the playoffs in those 33 years, which is fucking insane. That's basically a series every second season for my whole life. And some unforgettable ones in there. 2002, 2004, 2011 and 2014 are all etched into my soul.

They also met 9 years in a row from 1984 to 1992 and 9 out of 10 years from 1984 to 1994 :eek:
Seems so unlikely and bizarre. But then you remember that for the Leafs to face the Habs in the playoffs they'd need to make the playoffs. So it actually makes perfect sense.

Either way the new seeding format has made a Leafs/Habs matchup much more likely now.

yyzjohn

Banned
Seems so unlikely and bizarre. But then you remember that for the Leafs to face the Habs in the playoffs they'd need to make the playoffs. So it actually makes perfect sense.

Either way the new seeding format has made a Leafs/Habs matchup much more likely now.

Hey unfair, for many years they were in different conferences so they would have had to meet in the Stanley Cup Finals. The Leafs made the playoffs many times when they were in the west. Then in the Quinn years the Leafs were a constant playoff team but the Habs were down, either losing before meeting the Leafs or not making it at all.

Top Bottom