• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL February 2017 |OT| Alternative Stats

good fun game, Helle looked better than usual. if he keeps it up and no one concusses HATTRICK LAINE again, the Jets will win some more games i'm sure.

calder

Yes Laine scored but did he prevent any goals, how was his defensive game!!!??

/concerned jackass

I can't wait to read all the tweets from hockey media peeps who say Matthews has more goals but point out that he's played more games like they always did a couple of months ago when Laine had more goals. 🤔

Uh Vermette what the shit you dummy.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
I can't wait to read all the tweets from hockey media peeps who say Matthews has more goals but point out that he's played more games like they always did a couple of months ago when Laine had more goals. 🤔

Uh Vermette what the shit you dummy.

but my lainbae has more points :)

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Clode will bring a cup to Montreal. And I'll fucking cry.

Yawnier

Banned
So apparently Davey Clarkson is the assistant coach of some high school hockey team and is probably done playing pro hockey, due to a a degenerative back injury that we already knew about, but it's interesting this is also what set Nathan Horton back.

So yeah that trade basically ended up being 'injured guy who will barely play hockey again' swap.

So I didn't know that Patrick Laine is the next Teemu Selanne.

wait 5 years. Selänne came into the league at 23, Laine is 18 (still!).

incredible how young he is, still so much time to develop to his prime. he's in no hurry to be Selänne.

when was the last time a rookie scored 3 hat tricks in a season btw? and he still has chances for more.

So apparently Davey Clarkson is the assistant coach of some high school hockey team and is probably done playing pro hockey, due to a a degenerative back injury that we already knew about, but it's interesting this is also what set Nathan Horton back.

Rule #1: always hop the boards in a fight

yyzjohn

Banned
wait 5 years. Selänne came into the league at 23, Laine is 18 (still!).

incredible how young he is, still so much time to develop to his prime. he's in no hurry to be Selänne.

when was the last time a rookie scored 3 hat tricks in a season btw? and he still has chances for more.

This is Laine as he ages

buffalo-bill-01-800.jpg

Montreal making a mid-season coaching change two weeks before the trade deadline is the best thing that could have happened. They'll get that New Coach Bump™, they'll think they're better than they are and buy instead of sell, and be fucked for years to come.

LgutWuv.gif

Foggy

David Clarkson staring at a harsh reality

"I literally couldn't get out of bed," Clarkson said. "I couldn't move. My wife had to call the docs and I laid there and waited for the muscle relaxers to kick in before I could start the day."

He has three degenerative discs in the L5 region of his spine. There is no sure-fire surgical fix, doctors say. He could have his spine fused, but that would effectively end his playing career by limiting his ability to make quick turns. Also, the surgery does not always provide relief.

The Blue Jackets have tried to remind him that he's still part of the organization. Assistant general manager Bill Zito has taken him to Cleveland to watch the minor-league Monsters play, and the organization has noted that Clarkson's keen eye could lead to him having a hockey operations role someday. Clarkson and his wife, Brittany, were invited to the club's formal fundraiser, the CannonBall, earlier this month.

The players have stayed in touch, including one emotional scene in the fall.

"My wife called me while I was out and said, 'Honey, the guys are here. They want to know how you're doing.' " Clarkson said. "So I hurried home and four of them were sitting in the living room. That was ...; awesome."

"I know the reality of the situation," Clarkson said. "But I think it's my job to try to be a player for as long as I possibly can. I still have that dream inside me. I don't want it to end on these terms. This is not how any player wants it to

But at least the cap hit's gone, amirite

yyzjohn

Banned
U ready for that AGally trade, bruh?

I think you're right, Beregvin is far from done. He's not just gonna hope that Julien is the answer, he'll try to wheel and deal at the deadline, not sure who goes out but it'll be something significant.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Montreal making a mid-season coaching change two weeks before the trade deadline is the best thing that could have happened. They'll get that New Coach Bump™, they'll think they're better than they are and buy instead of sell, and be fucked for years to come.

LgutWuv.gif

Yeah you're right, they should be sellers right now. It's not like their core is in their prime, and signed to good contracts or anything.

Shit, that's awful for Clarkson. Does this shed any new light on the trade? Did it just come down to who had an insured contract and who didn't?

Foggy

Shit, that's awful for Clarkson. Does this shed any new light on the trade? Did it just come down to who had an insured contract and who didn't?

That's pretty much all it was, but they did have hope he could be productive on the 4th line. I doubt they anticipated his back issues would become this severe.

This is Laine as he ages

buffalo-bill-01-800.jpg

haha pretty good. wait the url says buffalo bill? lol ok. not quite albino enough, but pretty good.

oh and i checked.. last time a rookie got 3 hat tricks was Selänne 24 years ago, of course. man i hope he gets a fourth one, to really justify the silly nickname.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
What a beautiful day. This is as good of a coach as they will ever hire with their bilingual requirement.

U ready for that AGally trade, bruh?
The next week to 2 weeks will be the most important of AGallys career. Bergevin will definitely give him a chance with Claude who reportedly should play him on the top line and play him a lot. If he doesn't like what he sees then I'm assuming Bergevin ships him out.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What a beautiful day. This is as good of a coach as they will ever hire with their bilingual requirement.

The next week to 2 weeks will be the most important of AGallys career. Bergevin will definitely give him a chance with Claude who reportedly should play him on the top line and play him a lot. If he doesn't like what he sees then I'm assuming Bergevin ships him out.

As long as one bad game doesn't get him removed from the top centre spot, and Danault gets an automatic 20 game tryout it'll be alright.

calder

God, I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to go from a mediocre-to-bad coach all the way to a truly elite top 5 guy. Must feel great. :(

Must feel like the reverse of what Ducks fans went through.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
God, I'm trying to imagine what it would be like to go from a mediocre-to-bad coach all the way to a truly elite top 5 guy. Must feel great. :(

Must feel like the reverse of what Ducks fans went through.

Heretic, Smack, Dastardly, Cammalleri47 :(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
As long as one bad game doesn't get him removed from the top centre spot, and Danault gets an automatic 20 game tryout it'll be alright.
Everything I've read from reporters from Boston and Montreal indicates he plays his best players a lot, and he should be given a fair chance.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I see that as, "if the offer is good enough I'll trade him or Galchenyuk"

or how about

bergevin refuses to fix his team confirmed

You should've quit your job and developed them so you could've landed a job with the Leafs

nah, just too much manual curation

all the advanced stat guys got into the field by scraping and using other peoples work as the basis for theirs. Little work for big payoff. Stuff I had outlined you could scrape a little bit like TOI and shot/attempt location, but shot details need to be manually entered in order to get the proper shot quality. I was even factoring passes in my model just to make things more interesting.

i did a bunch of work on it but time wasn't on my side.

yyzjohn

Banned
I see that as, "if the offer is good enough I'll trade him or Galchenyuk"

“It’s not even listening to offers is I’m taking calls,” Bergevin said. “When a GM calls me I don’t know who he’s calling me about so I answer the phone. Yes, I’ve received calls on P.K., but I’m not shopping P.K. Subban. I can tell you that.” - Bergevin

Liar.

Top Bottom