• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

MacAttack

Yes, it's true, fans of other teams. I hate you. I hate your teams. I hate your stupid colors and chants and traditions. What kind of a fanbase would reduce itself to that? Have some respect. If not for yourself, for the sport of hockey. Gosh, you are all such children. Hey you, shut up and sit down. Hey you, stand up and scream. What is this, a [insert team] game? Come on. Who cares about your team, anyways? You don't have any cups/don't have any cups since gramps and granny got married/only have one cup recently and you're a bad bandwagon fan as a result. Get on my level.

Stolen from here. The rest of the article pokes fun of every team in the NHL but doesn't live up to the venom in the opening paragraph.

Cake Boss

Banned
"@FriedgeHNIC: Plot thickens MT @SlavaMalamud Kovalchuk says, 'I will need to read the new agreement' before he decides what to do next."

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL

toro5741

Call me crazy, but the Islanders have a lot in common with the baseball Rays. A ton of great young talent, it really could all come together and they might catch some of you by surprise.

I'm not saying a division win or anything, but a 6-8 seed is possible, especially in a shortened season, depends if Nabakov has it together or not.

Hell, in a shortened season, I wouldn't even count the Leafs out.
until March 1st

In order for the Islanders to get a 6-8 seed at least two other Atlantic Division teams have to bottom out.. as much as I'd love for that to happen I just don't see it. There's young talent on this team, but the defense is still really thin and there really isn't all that much depth. They are at least one more year away.

You will get 10-15 and you will like it.

In that case, give me 15 and a shot at Seth Jones or Nathan McKinnon

Think Strome makes the team out of camp? He was up and down in the WJ's, but it seems like a given.

There's a good chance, but I'm kinda hoping he stays in the OHL for the rest of this year. They want him to be the #2 center behind Tavares, but they have no wingers to put on his line so they'd be setting him up for failure. Bring him in for camp and unless he lights it up, send him back.

Wait til we see Ryan Strome and Nino Niederreiter before we go counting us out.

And Travis Hamonic is gonna have a big year. Guy is destined to be a minute eating captain with a great +/-.

(please let me cling to hope. It has not yet forsaken these lands)

I watched Niederreiter score 1 goal in 55 games last year. He's among the AHL leaders in scoring this year, but I don't think he can be relied on to score at the NHL level just yet unless you're going to put him on Tavares & Moulson's line which is a horrible idea - as bad as his lack of scoring was last year, his two-way play was even worse.

And Hammer just started skating again after getting a concussion in the AHL about a month ago...

gcubed

did Bryzgalov get lost on his flight back to the US? Did he decide to stay in Russia? Is there any hope i dont have to watch him in a Flyers uniform for the next decade?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I saw that. So good.

@dallascowboys: @DallasStars our sincere apologies for the inappropriate tweet posted accidentally to our account. Good luck this season.

Lol "accidental"

Heretic

So Heretic, seems that Koivu is gonna be centering the third line...

Wonder if that means Selanne will be playing on the third line too... Or are we gonna see Holland centering him on the second?

I think they'll give Bonino the nod and see how it goes. Should be interesting. Koivu re-signed knowing that he would play a smaller role in the team in order to let the younger guys start taking over.

Or maybe they'll give Bobby his own line. He's been hinting at it for the longest time.

I think they'll leave Teemu on the second line so that he and Koivu can teach the young pups in their respective lines. Should be an interesting dynamic.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I saw that. So good.

@dallascowboys: @DallasStars our sincere apologies for the inappropriate tweet posted accidentally to our account. Good luck this season.

Lol "accidental"
At least they didn't say it was "hacked"

I have no faith in Kovy coming back either.

I guess we could always go back to the trap!
Soooooo Devils out of the playoffs in the East then? I think we can all agree that's a good thing.

I saw that. So good.

Lol "accidental"

Accidental because they had some idiot running their twitter, just like every other team. When are the Kings going to apologoze?

"@FriedgeHNIC: Plot thickens MT @SlavaMalamud Kovalchuk says, 'I will need to read the new agreement' before he decides what to do next."

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLLLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOLLL

What option does he have? Can the KHL really afford to pay guys top NHL money.
Soooooo Devils out of the playoffs in the East then? I think we can all agree that's a good thing.

Yes we can all agree on that.

What option does he have? Can the KHL really afford to pay guys top NHL money.
I think they can pay alot for a couple of high profile signings, signing guys like Kovy will push KHL alot. Some Russians will probably also be okay with getting a lower salary just to be able to move home. I really doubt that we are going to see a general change in attitude to the best Russians generally playing in the KHL anytime soon though.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
I watched Niederreiter score 1 goal in 55 games last year. He's among the AHL leaders in scoring this year, but I don't think he can be relied on to score at the NHL level just yet unless you're going to put him on Tavares & Moulson's line which is a horrible idea - as bad as his lack of scoring was last year, his two-way play was even worse.

And Hammer just started skating again after getting a concussion in the AHL about a month ago...

A fairly down outlook, but not unrealistic. We'll see how it all pans out. This team feels a lot like the Rays did just before they broke out. Hopefully we make the right strides this year.

Merguson

Banned
It probably might have been mentioned here but you can't bury salary in the minors anymore.

You can send players to the minors, it seems, but you can't bury their salary.

It's like this... any player who makes over minimum salary (which is 525k) plus 375k will have the remainder of their salary counting against the cap..

two way contracts exempt unless ahl salary is over 900k

So guys like Redden and Olesz are going to count against the cap.

The Rangers are going to have to shed salary.. that puts them over the cap and they still have to sign Del Zotto

EDIT1: Or maybe not.. Capgeek had Redden in the buried category... so the Rangers are okay

EDIT2: As for ELCs.. I don't think the performance bonuses count.. so they aren't subject to that rule

Cake Boss

Banned
I dont care if they apologize but usually when people say something stupid they apologize afterwards.
tumblr_mdjktpeFPp1rvmzlbo1_500.jpg

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
All, I've created a GAF Yahoo! Roto Fantasy League!

There are a handful of spots left, and I'll be taking the first Gaffers who want in (though preference will be given to long-time members of the GAF hockey community.) PM me with your email address if you want in.

toro5741

A fairly down outlook, but not unrealistic. We'll see how it all pans out. This team feels a lot like the Rays did just before they broke out. Hopefully we make the right strides this year.

Visnovsky has to play for them this year (word is now he's going to), Bailey and Okposo need to step up and they need to get something out of Boyes if there's going to be any hope. Tavares, Moulson and Nabakov can only carry them so far...

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Visnovsky has to play for them this year (word is now he's going to), Bailey and Okposo need to step up and they need to get something out of Boyes if there's going to be any hope. Tavares, Moulson and Nabakov can only carry them so far...

Visnovsky is such a depressing story. If the league forces him to play, he'll probably just dog it all year and be a waste of money.

I hope Grabner finds the scoring touch he lost a bit of last year too. Be interesting to see who this year's Parantaeu is, benefiting from playing on the Tavares line. I (very optimistically) think that might be where Nino fits in to finally play up to his potential.

toro5741

Visnovsky is such a depressing story. If the league forces him to play, he'll probably just dog it all year and be a waste of money.

I hope Grabner finds the scoring touch he lost a bit of last year too. Be interesting to see who this year's Parantaeu is, benefiting from playing on the Tavares line. I (very optimistically) think that might be where Nino fits in to finally play up to his potential.

According to Visnovsky's agent, he'll report to the Isles if the KHL doesn't let him stay. Side note, Larry Brooks is saying the KHL tried to cut a deal with with Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk and Kovalchuk to stay after the lockout was lifted...

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie

According to Visnovsky's agent, he'll report to the Isles if the KHL doesn't let him stay. Side note, Larry Brooks is saying the KHL tried to cut a deal with with Malkin, Ovechkin, Datsyuk and Kovalchuk to stay after the lockout was lifted...

https://twitter.com/NYP_Brooksie

I wonder what Ovi will do. I saw him on the news the other day after the lockout ended saying he wont come back if they try to lower his salary at all, but I guess since they wont be doing that he will come back. It would be interesting f the KHL could offer him more. I wonder where the KHL gets so much money, the few games I have caught on the ESPN app on 360 didnt look close to sold out.

Osorio

With our roster I wouldn't have faith but Lou is the devil.

That said, this is what we'll have with a healthy roster:

Kovalchuk-Zajac-Butler
Elias-Henrique-Zubrus
Tedenby-Josefson-Clarkson
Carter-Gionta-Bernier

Greene-Fayne
Tallinder-Larsson
Volchenkov (Salvador)-Zidlicky

Sprinkle Sykora in there if we manage to sign him.

Top Bottom