• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

- Markov has been fine since he's been in Russia
- Gionta hasn't had any problems, with over a year worth of rehab and time to heal
- Price wasn't bad last year, just not incredible enough to make up for our shit D at the time
- Cole - DD - Patches needs to be broken up imo, but he will most likely have Gally and Gionta, and there's a chance Bourque could rebound, it's not like he's been shit for a long time
- Our top 4 D is pretty good if Markov can stay healthy

As long as we don't go on any awful losing streaks or get hit with a injury to Subban, Price, Plekance, etc, we have a decent chance at sneaking in that final spot. Id' rather we tank, but the opportunity is there.

if emelin continues his progression, i see him and markov forming a similar duo as komi/markov.

i dont think the cole - dd - patches line will perform as well.
really hoping we seem some skill plays out of the habs instead of the dump, chase and crash the net tactic we;ve seen these past few years

Socreges

Banned
*shrugs*

It'll be something like $6 million spread out over 3 years when he retires, at which point we can safely assume the cap will be up well over $70 million, possibly at or exceeding $80 million.

$2 million will be a drop in the bucket by that time.
Several teams already suffer such penalties at $2m / season. Leafs are already paying $2m/per for Armstrong and Tucker buyouts. Doesn't seem like such an extreme cost that interested teams would suddenly turn away from Luongo (though it's possible).

Cactus said:
If Gillis thinks he can get anything substantial for a guy who will cost his team cap room for 3-5 years after retirement
IMO Luongo is more likely to retire between 40-42 than 37-39. But who knows.

Luongo's contract doesn't kill chances for a trade - there are lots of teams with the money and cap room - it just kills the Canucks' chances of getting much back in trade.

Socreges

Banned
Dat Fehr Praise.
Yes, and evangelicals know a lot about Creationism.

Luongo's contract doesn't kill chances for a trade - there are lots of teams with the money and cap room - it just kills the Canucks' chances of getting much back in trade.
Right. But haven't people been placing it in that context since the beginning anyhow? Suggesting that Luongo's contract comes with such baggage that to take it on would mean a less attractive package in return?

Yes, and evangelicals know a lot about Creationism.

Bloody heretics!

Right. But haven't people been placing it in that context since the beginning anyhow? Suggesting that Luongo's contract comes with such baggage that to take it on would mean a less attractive package in return?

Yes, but I wanted to remind myself, and Leafs-Gaf, of the possibility that Burke might not self-fleece trading for Luongo.

Given the awful PA leadership the players have had to deal with, it's no wonder they love the Fehr. He's going to end up canonized by both unions.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Wait for Vancouver to get fed up and buyout Luongo then sign him. Fleeced.
ivb7Q.gif

Markov got injured in Russia. How many games did he miss? Just the one?
It was only a couple and his injury was a minor one that had nothing to do with his injury.

Can you keep Luongo after all of this?

Red_Man

if emelin continues his progression, i see him and markov forming a similar duo as komi/markov.

i dont think the cole - dd - patches line will perform as well.
really hoping we seem some skill plays out of the habs instead of the dump, chase and crash the net tactic we;ve seen these past few years
Emelin was doing well, until about half way through the season and then got stuck on his opposite side playing with Kaberle. I can only see him going up. Molson, Bergevin, and Therrien had a press conference today, and Therrien said he would be preaching a "high tempo, on their toes" type of style. We're going to have to move some D though, we have 2 spots on the bottom pairing and 4 guys to fill it, with Boullion only on a 1 year contract though.

Socreges

Banned
Yes, but I wanted to remind myself, and Leafs-Gaf, of the possibility that Burke might not self-fleece trading for Luongo.
If Luongo is getting traded to the Leafs, not much is coming back our way. We've known that for months (though I'm sure some still believe Gillis could get Gardiner or something). Luongo is excellent, but his trade will be an addition by subtraction. If he stays, he's too much of a distraction. And if a cap dump comes this way, we've got an amnest buyout waiting in the wings. So I'm just hoping for a decent prospect since our pool is pretty weak.

I'm also very confident that, despite people regularly pointing out Luongo's 'problem contract', Leafs fans will praise Burke for "fleecing" the Canucks. Then I hope he retires in two seasons.

If Luongo is getting traded to the Leafs, not much is coming back our way. We've known that for months (though I'm sure some still believe Gillis could get Gardiner or something). Luongo is excellent, but his trade will be an addition by subtraction. If he stays, he's too much of a distraction. And if a cap dump comes this way, we've got an amnest buyout waiting in the wings. So I'm just hoping for a decent prospect since our pool is pretty weak.

I'm also very confident that, despite people regularly pointing out Luongo's 'problem contract', Leafs fans will praise Burke for "fleecing" the Canucks. Then I hope he retires in two seasons.

Is there any chance Lu just gets bought out? Cuz if so.... I can think of a great place for him to land.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Is there any chance Lu just gets bought out? Cuz if so.... I can think of a great place for him to land.

Well, if anything we can get SOMETHIING for Luongo in return, which is still more than nothing... So I really don't see that happening. Worst case scenario is pick&prospect&cap dump, which is STILL more than a buyout. Actually, worst case is probably we won't be able to trade Lou, so we'll trade Schneider instead. THAT would be more likely than a buyout, I'd say. And that's not likely at all.

Stasis

Eh, there are worse teams we could lose to in the SCFs. Not a huge fan of the Canucks, nor the hype always surrounding them, but I do like some of the players and I think they're a respectable bunch. That would make it tolerable... kinda.

Smiley90

Eh, there are worse teams we could lose to in the SCFs. Not a huge fan of the Canucks, nor the hype always surrounding them, but I do like some of the players and I think they're a respectable bunch. That would make it tolerable... kinda.

You're one of the first non-Canucks fans in here who's ever said that, I think.

Well, if anything we can get SOMETHIING for Luongo in return, which is still more than nothing... So I really don't see that happening. Worst case scenario is pick&prospect&cap dump, which is STILL more than a buyout. Actually, worst case is probably we won't be able to trade Lou, so we'll trade Schneider instead. THAT would be more likely than a buyout, I'd say. And that's not likely at all.

We'll give you Leighton and a bag of pucks.

CCF23

I like you.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Wow, what a douche.

really? I'm an Islanders fan. I once owned a DiPietro t shirt. I can say what I want.

Also, damn, this thread moves fast. Forgot how quickly pages develop. Mostly lurked last season.

Edit: this was pointed out 2 pages ago by a few who recognize me, thanks. Damn this thread moves quick.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Luongo won't be bought out because it would guarantee Vancouver would be paying him $2.7 million a year until 2028

Red_Man

Interesting note from the Habs presser today regarding Gally, Therrien said that if he remained with the team for the full season he would be living with an older mentor. Great news to hear from management.

It feels so damn good to be reading about actual hockey stuff, and none of this lockout negotiation bullshit anymore.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Call me crazy, but the Islanders have a lot in common with the baseball Rays. A ton of great young talent, it really could all come together and they might catch some of you by surprise.

I'm not saying a division win or anything, but a 6-8 seed is possible, especially in a shortened season, depends if Nabakov has it together or not.

Hell, in a shortened season, I wouldn't even count the Leafs out.
until March 1st

Call me crazy, but the Islanders have a lot in common with the baseball Rays. A ton of great young talent, it really could all come together and they might catch some of you by surprise.

I'm not saying a division win or anything, but a 6-8 seed is possible, especially in a shortened season, depends if Nabakov has it together or not.

until March 1st

You will get 10-15 and you will like it.

Red_Man

until March 1st
Think Strome makes the team out of camp? He was up and down in the WJ's, but it seems like a given.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
You will get 10-15 and you will like it.

Wait til we see Ryan Strome and Nino Niederreiter before we go counting us out.

And Travis Hamonic is gonna have a big year. Guy is destined to be a minute eating captain with a great +/-.

(please let me cling to hope. It has not yet forsaken these lands)

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Think Strome makes the team out of camp? He was up and down in the WJ's, but it seems like a given.

I think he does. Short season, gotta sell tickets, and the guy is one of very few Isles with some buzz around him. Snow will want him up.

Whether or not he plays at NHL level is yet to be determined, but obviously I have hope for the best.

Smiley90

They already have Mason Raymond, the pucks would be redundant.

Hey hey, at least pucks can go from one end of the rink to the other without falling over. sometimes. Actually, now that I think of it, you're right.

Stasis

Interesting note from the Habs presser today regarding Gally, Therrien said that if he remained with the team for the full season he would be living with an older mentor. Great news to hear from management.

It feels so damn good to be reading about actual hockey stuff, and none of this lockout negotiation bullshit anymore.

Agreed. Who'd you see him rooming with? Plek? I think that'd make sense.

Red_Man

Agreed. Who'd you see him rooming with? Plek? I think that'd make sense.
Nah, Gorges. Best character guy on the team, future Captain, and he's already roomed with Gallagher this year. I don't see Pleks remaining on the team past next seasons trade deadline as much as I love the guy.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
...DiPietro is back, TeethMummy. Your Nabokov plans are on hold, at least until the week 2 groin injury

The coaching staff and ownership doesn't really have his back anymore. I expect Nabakov to be the #1. DiPietro will get more starts than the average backup (until the injury) but Nabakov will be the starter.

Quick

Banned

So much for the pussy-pounding duo of Subban and Galchenyuk.

The coaching staff and ownership doesn't really have his back anymore. I expect Nabakov to be the #1. DiPietro will get more starts than the average backup (until the injury) but Nabakov will be the starter.

That would be glorious, just to imagine Charles Wang sitting there realizing he has 40 million left to pay to his franchise bench goaltender. But somehow I expect Wang to make the team start him until he retires or they realize how the amnesty system works

Red_Man

:lol Subban would be talking them all up, and Gally would just be in the back with his seductive glare, and throw some Russian lines at them.

Quick

Banned
:lol Subban would be talking them all up, and Gally would just be in the back with his seductive glare, and throw some Russian lines at them.

ikwQbcetBsITZ.jpg

"Здравствуйте дамы."

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
That would be glorious, just to imagine Charles Wang sitting there realizing he has 40 million left to pay to his franchise bench goaltender. But somehow I expect Wang to make the team start him until he retires or they realize how the amnesty system works

well, they know they have one more year of Nabakov, who played very well last year, and *sigh* 8+ more years of DiPietro, who hasn't been healthy or good since his All star year in 2008. Cooler heads will prevail.

Stasis

:lol.

It's Montreal though. The dirtiest scrub could get a call-up for one game and still pound everything in sight. Best place to be an NHL player if your aim is to get laid, for sure.

I don't see Pleks remaining on the team past next seasons trade deadline as much as I love the guy.

That'd mean shit's going real well. If the Habs can afford to get rid of Pleks it means not only Gally stepped into the #1 C role real well, but Eller finally became what he's supposed to become too.

Red_Man

ikwQbcetBsITZ.jpg

"Здравствуйте дамы."
Vu8Ov.gif

:lol.

It's Montreal though. The dirtiest scrub could get a call-up for one game and still pound everything in sight. Best place to be an NHL player if your aim is to get laid, for sure.
Gomez would like a word with you.

Stasis said:
That'd mean shit's going real well. If the Habs can afford to get rid of Pleks it means not only Gally stepped into the #1 C role real well, but Eller finally became what he's supposed to become too.
One of DD, Eller or Pleks has to get dealt soon, and I don't think Habs management is going to get rid of the only decent french player we have right now. Personally I'd give up Pleks this season and load up on a blue chip prospect or 1st round picks, it would hurt us short term, but in a couple years we would be dominate.

Top Bottom