• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

OnPoint

Actually been really good. He holds the puck well and wins along the boards. The best part is that he is pretty good at faceoffs... something that the Stars are terrible at. Thankfully Fiddler (Who is 2nd or 3rd in the NHL in faceoffs this season) and Roy have helped that tremendously.

We're definitely missing him on the dot.

Why did I say on the dot.

Fuck me.

But that's the only place I'd say I miss him, personally.

Montresor

No, no, no, no.

No.

You are not watching the games if you think that. Do you suddenly expect Kessel is going to be a guy that is out there laying the lumber on dudes? He's NEVER going to be a guy who throws checks and bodies guys. But what he has done is improve his two way play. He's not a liability out there like he was the first two seasons if he's not putting up points.

He's a -2 on the season and before last game he was even.

You sound more like you're making your basis on the fact he hasn't scored a goal as yet other then how he's actually playing.

And you would be right to say that. I'm just bitter about no goals from him.

Marvie_3

Banned
So what happens if he misses this deadline? Will the NHL have to consider moving the team fnally?
Most likely. The new council isn't pro-subsidy like the last one, so when this deadline passes, Jamison is unlikely to get handed subsidies like this again. There will be some BS from the NHL/Jamison/Glendale about how they're still trying to make it work but without Glendale dumping money in to cover losses, this whole charade should finally be over. Considering that nobody is going to buy the team and keep them in Glendale without the massive subsidies, the NHL will be out of options in Glendale unless they're willing to keep losing tens of millions of dollars each year.

Edit: Here's some quotes from the new mayor:

Clock ticks down for Phoenix Coyotes deal

New Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers said he has his doubts about whether Jamison actually will be able to pull it off by Thursday.

“For the life of me, I can’t figure why, if everything is lined up, if he’s got the money in hand, why would he postpone this? That’s the only thing I haven’t been able to figure out,” Weiers said. “What would be the purpose of delaying it?”

The mayor said he asked Jamison that very question last week. Weiers said Jamison responded that he was optimistic about completing the sale but offered no details.

“I told Jamison that as opposed as I was to the deal — I thought that the city didn’t get a very good deal out of it — the fact is that the council made that decision. The deal that was made said that he has until the 31st to put it together. I’ll honor that, but I also told him that I wouldn’t honor it one second past that,” Weiers said.

What I like:
-Kassian has been good so far; let's hope he keeps it up
-Raymond has shown flashes of brilliance
-Sedins have been consistent
-Schroeder has been decent

What I don't like:
-bottom six forwards haven't done anything
-lol Ebbett
-"deepest defence in the league" has been anything but
-power play has been hot and cold

If the Canucks expect to survive until Booth and Kesler get back, they really have to tighten up their defence. Schneider and Luongo are getting left out to dry, but the onus is still on them to steal a couple games.

TUSR

Banned
What I like:
-Kassian has been good so far; let's hope he keeps it up
-Raymond has shown flashes of brilliance
-Sedins have been consistent
-Schroeder has been decent

What I don't like:
-bottom six forwards haven't done anything
-lol Ebbett
-"deepest defence in the league" has been anything but
-power play has been hot and cold

If the Canucks expect to survive until Booth and Kesler get back, they really have to tighten up their defence. Schneider and Luongo are getting left out to dry, but the onus is still on them to steal a couple games.

thoughts on ballard and tanev?

@MikeHeika
Jaromir Jagr said the long plane flight from Detroit and flight delays contributed to back/hip pain. Said he will have to deal with it.

OLD OLD OLD :(

But.. he's back tonight.

Stars left Detroit last week and the flight was cancelled that evening due to mechanical issues and deicing issues.

They were to take off at 2pm the next day but didnt leave until like 4 or 5pm. It was pretty terribad.

Acid08

Banned
What I like:

-Patrick Marleau
-The entire first line is destroying right now
-Irwin has been an amazing surprise, kid can play
-PK finally looked super solid in the Nucks game.
-PP is deadly
-Handzus looks much better
-Signing Gomez for the right term and price
-Decent scoring from the D, they all look much better
-Larry Robinson and Jim Johnson
-Stuey back in teal
-Havlat is great

What I Don't Like:

-We have heard nothing about Burns injury, very worrying. Sports hernias can fuck off. Apparently he is skating again which is great news.
-Secondary scoring. The bottom six is good with energy and possession but someone needs to find their scoring touch. Top line will not be this good for the entire season, someone is going to need to pick up the slack.
-Clowe is our worst top six and it's showing. He's so slow and had lost his touch at board play. He needs to crash the net more and stop trying to be Thornton.

OLD OLD OLD :(

But.. he's back tonight.

Stars left Detroit last week and the flight was cancelled that evening due to mechanical issues and deicing issues.

They were to take off at 2pm the next day but didnt leave until like 4 or 5pm. It was pretty terribad.

Welcome to Detroit, now you are stuck in Detroit, muhahahaha!!!

No surprise Huberdeau sticks with the team.

What I like-
-Huberdeau, kid has great vision and hockey IQ. Always to the net, makes plays. Extremely bright future for this team. 1st shot in the NHL and he scores, still high on that. Main point if improvement is for him to get stronger on his skates.

-Shore. He's had a great year so far in San Antonio and looks very poised, and has great instincts. Another bright star to come on this team.

-Our bottom six looks very good. Great mix of speed, grit and skill

-Mueller. Glorious hair and a surprising amount of speed. Bomb of a shot.

Don't like-

Parros, he's either out of shape (likely) or disinterested. I expect more from a physical guy. Too busy trying to skate with the puck, either shoot or pass.

-Kuba slow, slow, slow. He had some fire after mixing it up in Montreal but otherwise is flat.

-Offense. Simple things like dump and chase, creating traffic, going to the net. All basics that are being ignored.

-Special teams. Set up on the PP and covering guys in front of the net

-everything else.

Khudobin gets first start for B's tonight vs. Canes

What I like:
-Dougie Hamilton. A little shaky at times on D, but has been contributing well offensively. He's gonna get his first goal soon and it'll be great. Pretty sure he's a lock to stay with the B's
-Top 6 forwards doing well and making plays. Lucic is still fat as fuck but has 3 goals already, so can't complain too much. Bergeron line has been making some nice plays. One I can remember was Seguin intercepting the pass at the WPG blue line that led to a goal
-4th line has been playing great, producing chances and playing with great energy.
-PK is still great, haven't given up a PPG yet

What I don't like:
-3rd line is playing like garbage. Kelly's been alright at times, but Peverley and Bourque haven't played well.
-People need to take more shots to produce more chances. Too much passing up open shots for a marginally better shot to someone else. This leads to:
-PP is still godawful terrible.

MacAttack

Ok guys. This had me in tears. You gotta watch it!

Link

academyawards5.gif

CCF23

What I like:

-Zack Kassian has found a home in the top 6 forwards and has not looked out of place.
-Jordan Schroeder looks like he's NHL ready. Plays a strong two-way game.
-Keith Ballard and Chris Tanev have been surprisingly good.
-Aside from the opener, Schneider looks good.
-Mason Raymond looks like a top six forward again.

What I don't like:

-The "top 4" defensemen have given the puck away and been beaten FAR too often.
-Andrew Ebbett.
-Special teams are inconsistent as hell.
-Max Lapierre looks like a bag of dog shit.
-Jason Garrison can't hit the net with his slap shot.
-The PP refuses to just let Edler and Garrison bomb away. Instead decides to try and be fancy.

Quick

Banned
What I like:
- Kadri stepping up and really earning his roster spot.
- Bozak, JVR, Grabovski doing pretty well for the most part.
- Kostka and Phaneuf doing well as the first defence pairing.

What I don't like:
- Kessel not scoring.
- Little offense.
- Poor defence: two straight games where the team gave up the lead and lost the game.
- Lupul injured.
- Goaltending: Both goalies have been subpar the past few games. Not terrible, just subpar. Related to poor defence, really.
- Over-reliance on Phaneuf/Kostka on defence.

I was thinking that maybe the team should've given Reilly a shot.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
What I like:

Price
The third line, Gallyx2 + Prust have been awesome
The fourth line
The General and Gorges being typically awesome
Diaz and Emelin have been really good

What I don't like:

Appendicitis
The "first" line
Bourque can't hit the net, but he is hustling at least
PK isn't signed, not enough salt from the opponents yet

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Apparently Gretzky will be on NHL Live in... 5 minutes to adress the Toronto rumours?

-shrugs-

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
What I like:

Price
The third line, Gallyx2 + Prust have been awesome
The fourth line
The General and Gorges being typically awesome
Diaz and Emelin have been really good

What I don't like:

Appendicitis
The "first" line
Bourque can't hit the net, but he is hustling at least
PK isn't signed, not enough salt from the opponents yet

I agree with all of that.

Quick

Banned
Leafs are getting ripped a new asshole by Prime Time Sports right now, so pretty much the usual business.

Bob McCown is a bitter fuck. Bitter about what? I don't know. Anything Leafs-related brings out so much salt from his show.

ZeroGravity

What I Like:
- Vinny Lecavalier playing more like the old Vinny and really leading the team
- Marty St. Louis' immortality
- Stamkos becoming a better playmaker and contributing even while being rusty
- Cory Conacher. Hardest working player on the ice and makes things happen
- Much higher levels of confidence compared to last year
- Third period. Lightning have outscored opponents 13-1 in the third so far
- Victor Hedman finally assuming the role of a #1 defenseman
- Having an actual defense and actual goaltending
- Team is always dynamite playing at home
- Much improved team toughness

What I Don't Like:
- Second periods
- Playing on Long Island
- Brian Lee

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
HEALTHY Markov (which we're basically witnessing for the first time since early 2010) > Subban. Hell, healthy Markov > most NHL defensemen. His poise and hockey IQ is nearly unmatched. People are high on Subban for very good reason, but lest we forget that Markov was our best player for nearly a decade before the injuries.

No one has said Subban is better then Markov, but having Markov doesn't lower Subban's talent or value, that's just stupid. Having both of them will be huge for this team, and anyone that thinks they can let Subban go and we'll be fine is delirious. Markov is still older and who knows what will happen with his knee.

Good to see both Gally's make the team, it's not really surprising. The real test now is to see MT give them more minutes and see how they respond.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I wonder who they'll each live with, I assume Gionta, Gorges and Cole are the leading candidates.
Alex is living with his sister and mom in Montreal, and Brendan is living with Gorges. They've already had some hilarious exchanges. Future is bright, next year we'll probably see Tinordi, Kristo, and Leblanc make the team.

Subban - Gorges
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Diaz

Fantastic D core with great balance on every line.

Here's the first episode of Habs 24 /7 a lot of the actual talking is in English apparently. I haven't watched it yet, but when I get home tonight I'll check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6RCaRl7CGw

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Alex is living with his sister and mom in Montreal, and Brendan is living with Gorges. They've already had some hilarious exchanges. Future is bright, next year we'll probably see Tinordi, Kristo, and Leblanc make the team.

Subban - Gorges
Markov - Emelin
Tinordi - Diaz

Fantastic D core with great balance on every line.

Here's the first episode of Habs 24 /7 a lot of the actual talking is in English apparently. I haven't watched it yet, but when I get home tonight I'll check it out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6RCaRl7CGw

Think I will wait for the TSN version.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Leafs are getting ripped a new asshole by Prime Time Sports right now, so pretty much the usual business.

Bob McCown is a bitter fuck. Bitter about what? I don't know. Anything Leafs-related brings out so much salt from his show.

Meh, he's more a baseball guy anyways. Another month and he will be focused on that.

Personally I don't think our media would be able to handle the Leafs being good again.

Quick

Banned
Meh, he's more a baseball guy anyways. Another month and he will be focused on that.

Personally I don't think our media would be able to handle the Leafs being good again.

OTR's topic right now: "Should the Leafs trade Kessel and Phaneuf?"

COME ON.

Quick

Banned
Clearly the season is lost and they should sell the entire team.

48-0 or bust.

OTR's topic a few weeks after such a trades go down: "Why would the Leafs trade their best players for projects?"

Pretty much. But I get it, it's a topic of discussion relating the current events, but...come on.

I used to watch OTR a lot, but I just couldn't stand Michael Landsberg any more. I'd have it on every now and then because I'm waiting on Pardon The Interruption.

Pretty much. But I get it, it's a topic of discussion relating the current events, but...come on.

I used to watch OTR a lot, but I just couldn't stand Michael Landsberg any more. I'd have it on every now and then because I'm waiting on Pardon The Interruption.

So you don't watch a shitty show about hockey unless you're waiting to watch a fucking atrocious show about everything but hockey?

What I Like:
- Hockey.
- Viktor Fasth. His debut was fantastic, and I hope it's a sign of things to come with having such a reliable backup.
- Our third line. Beasting. Especially Koivu and Winniks play. (Note: Last game Koivu and Winnik got shuffled and still produced, so perhaps not necessarily our Third Line being awesome but perhaps those two more than anything)
- Getzlaf is back. Occasionally coasting but making terrific plays and backchecking.
- Souray and Allen, and their complimenting playstyles adding to our D to otherwise making it now COMPETENT. And definitely better than most of the D on other teams.
- Boudreau. Fantastic coach.
- Rolling 4 lines.
- Palmieris debut. Except last game he was in purgatory?
- Fowler is proving himself to be the next-level that I was expecting he would be. Flashes of Scotty.

What I Don't Like:
- Special teams. They still look dysfunctional, but they're playing more confidently with each passing game.
- Hiller is looking good, but he is not getting the support he needs to be Vezina-level.
- Staubitz. Don't like him at all. Worst Parros replacement and an even worse player. He's a Bermuda Triangle with the puck, as in, it goes to him then dies.
- Pickles on McDonalds cheeseburgers. I keep forgetting to ask them to remove it.
- Lack of discipline when things aren't going right.
- Inconsistency in play, one minute they're making tape to tape passes and then it's sloppy play for a period, then back to it?

Kind of excited to watch some other teams tonight. I don't have any real work to bring home, I cleaned most of my shit over the weekend, and the Flyers aren't playing. I can sit in my apartment, play some 3DS, and watch hockey all night.

cube444

So who said it?:

Well, it sure was interesting Monday to hear how an opposing NHL head coach honestly views Patrick Marleau.

And we say "honestly" because the coach asked and was afforded anonymity in order to give his full view of the 33-year-old San Jose Sharks forward who has been maligned like few other NHL stars in this league over the past decade.

"To me, Patrick Marleau is a player that’s misunderstood and misrepresented," said the Western Conference coach. "He’s a very, very good 200-foot player. Even when he’s not scoring, he’s one of the best penalty killers in the league. He was a great player in the Olympics. He’s just a quiet guy. Even when he’s not scoring, he still contributes in other areas that he never gets any credit for. He does a lot of other things well that as a coach, you really appreciate."

So when this coach hears all the critics hammer Marleau, especially at playoff time, he doesn’t get it.

"It’s really, really unfair the criticism that he’s taken," said the coach. "If you really watch him carefully as an opposition coach, you appreciate all the little things that he does that gets you out of the ditch all the time. Honestly, he’s a much better player than he’s ever been given credit for."

I'm going with Hitchcock.

Top Bottom