• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Holy fuck the Oilers.

rjMop.gif

St Louis:

Something happened to these guys late last season and into the playoffs, and nobody still seems quite sure what it was.

IT IS A MYSTERY!

After looking like a Cup contender, they just kind of wilted, despite getting into the second round.

ANOTHER MYSTERY. God damn Hockey.

Curufinwe

Nothing cause only championships matter. Which is why I don't boast about regular season sweeps like they are important, or relevant to whether the Rangers bottom nine forwards are a bit weak compared to the All Star first line.

A contention, by the way, I wasn't sure I agreed with till you guys started freaking out about it. Must be some truth there for you to be so defensive.

Perry and Getzlaf need to get signed fast. Perry is almost a no brainer for a max contract. Would you go max with Getzy too? I'm a big fan of Getzlaf even after this horrendous past season so I would.

What you say, Dastardly?

Perry is definitely a no brainer. If I was Bob I would be shaking his hand and congratulating him on his new $7.3m 5 year contract.

Getzlaf will have to show what he's capable of this season... And THEN he can join the $7m club.

Rick Nash, Brad Richards, Marian Gaborik

This line pretty much tops the RPG line for the best first line in the NHL. On paper.

Nothing cause only championships matter. Which is why I don't boast about regular season sweeps like they are important, or relevant to whether the Rangers bottom nine forwards are a bit weak compared to the All Star first line.

So then why are you talking as if the Flyer's don't have the largest championship draught of all the Atlantic teams?

Stasis

A contention, by the way, I wasn't sure I agreed with till you guys started freaking out about it. Must be some truth there for you to be so defensive.

There's a big difference between freaking out and wanting to correct something pretty obviously false. I'd expect the same from any fan of any team when incorrect assumptions were being made, wouldn't you?

But you go ahead and exaggerate to make sure your inaccurate point gets across.

Curufinwe

I save my salt for teams that beat us in the playoffs and/or win titles. Or go out of their way to injure our best players. Rangers don't fit any of those categories for the last 18 years.

Curufinwe

There's a big difference between freaking out and wanting to correct something pretty obviously false. I'd expect the same from any fan of any team when incorrect assumptions were being made, wouldn't you?

Seems like it was more of a debatable opinion than an incorrect assumption, but bookmark this page and at the end of the season we can see if your secondary scoring came thru, and if the Flyers defense was in the bottom third or "shit". Probably will be unless everyone gets healthy and stays healthy all season.

Seems like it was more of a debatable opinion than an incorrect assumption, but bookmark this page and at the end of the season we can see if your secondary scoring came thru, and if the Flyers defense was in the bottom third or "shit". Probably will be unless everyone gets healthy and stays healthy all season.

I don't think we need to wait until the end of the season to get a definitive answer on that.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
There has to be more to that rule or something.

Remember he had an absolutely STUPIDLY HUGE signing bonus

And his contract is

$14m, $14m, $14m, $14m, $12m, $12m, $6m, $6m, $6m, $6m, $3m, $1m, $1m, $1m

Cap hit is $7.8 million

Signing bonus for first 6 years

$13 m, $13m, $13m, $13m, $8m, $8m

So when Nashville trades weber after 6 years, they have had a benefit of $33 million (rough) and that number won't go down because he was traded... Hence why if he retired with 1 year left, they get nailed with a massive penalty

Cactus

Banned
Here's a good article about the Luongo/Weber/etc rule:

pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/1/9/3854426/luongo-and-the-new-cbas-luongo-rule

I recommend reading through the entire article, but, to summarize, every team that signed players to cap-circumventing deals will eventually suffer potentially substantial penalties, especially if the player retires directly before his salary drops off.

The Canucks would actually save money and minimize long-term cap risk if they trade Luongo before this season starts. The team who receives him will also be penalized, but it would be comparatively negligible.

had the last hockey game of my season. finished 4-6 with 2 shutouts. not bad after coming off a serious knee injury but probably gonna call it quits. team didnt qualify for playoffs, kind of sucks

Montresor

Here's a good article about the Luongo/Weber/etc rule:

pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/1/9/3854426/luongo-and-the-new-cbas-luongo-rule

I recommend reading through the entire article, but, to summarize, every team that signed players to cap-circumventing deals will eventually suffer potentially substantial cap penalties, especially if the player retires directly before his salary drops off.

The Canucks would actually save money and minimize long-term cap risk if they trade Luongo before this season starts. The team who receives him will also be penalized, but it would be comparatively negligible.

Thanks for the article. I'm on my bed trying to sleep but Id love to read a good article about the new CBA. Are there any other good resources?

And anyone else feel it is a bit unfair that Nashville has to suffer such penalties when it was Philly that engineered th me Weber contract?

Stasis

No, it was an incorrect assumption. He implied everyone aside from Richards, Nash and Gaborik were unknown or beneath notice when referring to them as "some other dudes". Hagelin and Kreider may not be very well known, but Stepan and especially Callahan are. False statement. It'd be like saying the Flyers were Giroux, Briere, Hartnell and some other guys. I know that to be false. That's not a debatable opinion.

Whether our secondary scoring and/or 2nd line will be good or not is an unknown since we don't even know what the lines will be and we DO know they'll change periodically, but as it stands the top 6 looks very good and damn near everyone agrees on that subject, fan of the team or no. That you and he choose not to shows bitterness or lack of understanding. Who knows how anything will pan out through this season? Who knows if our supposed primary scoring line will come through, for that matter?

I've made no assumptions about the Flyers. I don't much care about the success or failure of your team, I only care about the interaction between ours and yours. All I can tell you is that it will not be a repeat of last year. It's highly improbable that we manage to sweep the Flyers in the regular season again and a loss will come sooner rather than later. According to you that's all irrelevant though, so there'd be no point in looking at it at the end of the season would there? I look forward to the hypocrisy of you trying to be provocative when a win does occur.

MacAttack

had the last hockey game of my season. finished 4-6 with 2 shutouts. not bad after coming off a serious knee injury but probably gonna call it quits. team didnt qualify for playoffs, kind of sucks

Are you quitting because of the injury or other reasons?

I'm thinking about trying to find a league to join or maybe start renting ice time. Its been at least two years since I last played.

Are you quitting because of the injury or other reasons?

I'm thinking about trying to find a league to join or maybe start renting ice time. Its been at least two years since I last played.

quiting because my knees are still in pain. may take the year off and see how it goes next year.

does anyone know how bap in nhl 13 works? can i sim games? i dont want to have to play every game. (just want to play like 10-15 a season and playoffs)

Top Bottom