• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2013 |OT| - "Double-B to Double-M" The Milbury Leafs Era Begins NOW

Stasis

i3BeZKwFwD9TZ.gif

Where is this from?! I must know! lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Here's a good article about the Luongo/Weber/etc rule:

pensionplanpuppets.com/2013/1/9/3854426/luongo-and-the-new-cbas-luongo-rule

I recommend reading through the entire article, but, to summarize, every team that signed players to cap-circumventing deals will eventually suffer potentially substantial penalties, especially if the player retires directly before his salary drops off.

The Canucks would actually save money and minimize long-term cap risk if they trade Luongo before this season starts. The team who receives him will also be penalized, but it would be comparatively negligible.
If this article is correct Vancouver gets hammered no matter what they do.

Buy out means money means 32 mil down the drain.
Trade means cap hit if early.
Keeping him is MASSIVE cap hit if early.

Huh. If this is true, and I can't say either way since I haven't looked at all the rules in detail yet, sure bring him here. If the cap hit is laughably small (and it is) and he still shocks Vancouver after leaving them and retiring I'm all for it.

Someone should send that to Nonis. We'd be doing them a favour taking him off their hands and still punishing them for it.

Soc, you will take comasarek and a 2nd and you will like it.

actually, have a read and tell me what you think

Can anyone else vouch for this? Source isn't exactly unbiased here and no media outlets have mentioned this odd fuzzy math penalty.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Trying a bit too hard there, Manics.
When does he not try too hard?

I love how apparently Yakupov is the second coming of Christ and will lift the Oilers from the bottom 5 to the top 5.

I'm kind of jelly of this Rangers / Philly salt, us Habs and Leafs fans don't even have that.

Yet.

Quick

Banned
Taylor Hall = Second Coming of Christ.
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins = Second Coming of Christ
Nail Yakupov = Second Coming of Christ

Third time's the charm!

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
if canucks trade luongo today

and he plays until 2020-21 and retires

they get a $6 mil penalty

if he plays for canucks until 2017-18 and retires they have a penalty of 4.75 mil for 3 years

if he plays for canucks until 2017-18, is traded and retires after 2020-10 season, canucks get a penalty of $14.3 million

if canucks trade luongo today and he plays until 2017-18 canucks get a penalty of $1.5 mil for 4 years... team who gets him would be nailed with $2.4 penalty for 4 years

basically

canucks will have a hard time selling him, teams will have a hard time justifying him

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
When does he not try too hard?

I love how apparently Yakupov is the second coming of Christ and will lift the Oilers from the bottom 5 to the top 5.

I'm kind of jelly of this Rangers / Philly salt, us Habs and Leafs fans don't even have that.

Yet.
Jim Carey Price.

Flash in the pan.

Confidence gone! Will demand a Roy!

Scott 2 goals Gomez

Best trade since Roy

2013 Stanley Cup Champs with Gomez Conn Smythe!

PK Subban not signed.

Montreal vulnerable to an offer sheet

Boston gets Subban and solo voluntarily leaves.

Andreinjury MarkedforLTIRov

Plays half the season at a point per game

Gets injured.

<3 Red_Man

snack

if canucks trade luongo today

and he plays until 2020-21 and retires

they get a $6 mil penalty

if he plays for canucks until 2017-18 and retires they have a penalty of 4.75 mil for 3 years

if he plays for canucks until 2017-18, is traded and retires after 2020-10 season, canucks get a penalty of $14.3 million

if canucks trade luongo today and he plays until 2017-18 canucks get a penalty of $1.5 mil for 4 years... team who gets him would be nailed with $2.4 penalty for 4 years

basically

canucks will have a hard time selling him, teams will have a hard time justifying him
JUST TAKE HIM LEAFS. TAKE HIM.

Red_Man

Jim Carey Price.

Flash in the pan.

Confidence gone! Will demand a Roy!

Scott 2 goals Gomez

Best trade since Roy

2013 Stanley Cup Champs with Gomez Conn Smythe!

PK Subban not signed.

Montreal vulnerable to an offer sheet

Boston gets Subban and solo voluntarily leaves.

Andreinjury MarkedforLTIRov

Plays half the season at a point per game

Gets injured.

<3 Red_Man
This reads like my thought process if I was on acid while watching a game. "Jim Carey Price" is going to stick with me all season now you bastard :lol

I'm just hoping Galchenyuk makes Rielly look like a chump in the first game.

McCowen and Shannon (both sportsnet guys) have been contradicting each other recently.

Shannon (pre-firing): Burke and Gillis have a deal in place that will send Luongo to Toronto. Return indirectly suggested to be Bozak+Kadri

McCown (post-firing): Burke fired because he wouldn't trade Gardiner+Kadri for Luongo

Shannon (post-firing): Nonis more likely to deal for Luongo than Burke. Might not last the year.

I think it's safe to say that none of these guys - McCown, Shannon, Cox - have any inside information about the Leafs right now.

E-DuB said:
I'm amazed that both sides thought that they could work TOGETHER in this endeavor. It was probably more of a "get a stake now and sort it out later" mentality. I don't blame for thinking like that, but HA bloody HA if this info is true.

It's probably not. These guys aren't amateurs.

And Bob McCown (lol) has insider information on a feuding executive board? Consider that his source, if one even exists, is more than likely a Burke-appointee, a guy who's facing the prospect of unemployment come the end of the regular season. View with suspicion until an actual sourced quote is provided.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This reads like my thought process if I was on acid while watching a game. "Jim Carey Price" is going to stick with me all season now you bastard :lol

Get fucked. Morgan "#1" Rielly will make GalchenSUCK his little bitch.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member

Damn I forgot about your golden boy.

Sorry, Washington fans, Jim Carey was the definition of flash in a pan. Vezina to where the fuck is he now?!

Quick

Banned
Colton Orr's going to try and make it out of Leafs training camp.

As the weight came off last spring, Eakins saw Orr's effectiveness in such a role gradually return. Moving with greater ease and fluidity on the ice, Orr evolved into a depth contributor for the Marlies, a player Eakins could trust in defensive situations at the end of close games.

The redefinition process continued in the offseason. Working with Connecticut-based trainer Ben Prentiss, Orr continued to shed weight and subsequent body fat, while also looking to add muscle in his legs, better balancing the make-up of his body.

Good on him. Now, to see if it really works out.

izFjiJdGUu8Cp.gif

No, it was an incorrect assumption. He implied everyone aside from Richards, Nash and Gaborik were unknown or beneath notice when referring to them as "some other dudes". Hagelin and Kreider may not be very well known, but Stepan and especially Callahan are. False statement. It'd be like saying the Flyers were Giroux, Briere, Hartnell and some other guys. I know that to be false. That's not a debatable opinion.

Whether our secondary scoring and/or 2nd line will be good or not is an unknown since we don't even know what the lines will be and we DO know they'll change periodically, but as it stands the top 6 looks very good and damn near everyone agrees on that subject, fan of the team or no. That you and he choose not to shows bitterness or lack of understanding. Who knows how anything will pan out through this season? Who knows if our supposed primary scoring line will come through, for that matter?

I've made no assumptions about the Flyers. I don't much care about the success or failure of your team, I only care about the interaction between ours and yours. All I can tell you is that it will not be a repeat of last year. It's highly improbable that we manage to sweep the Flyers in the regular season again and a loss will come sooner rather than later. According to you that's all irrelevant though, so there'd be no point in looking at it at the end of the season would there? I look forward to the hypocrisy of you trying to be provocative when a win does occur.

Um, I think you're misreading my statement. First of all no one is going to dispute your top 3, obviously. They're outstanding. The second line is solid. I wouldn't go further than that. After that I think there's a dropoff. "Some other dudes" was me commenting on the disparity between the top and that directly below it. Compare that to teams like the Flyers or Pens where there seems to be a less heavy "top line" for more balanced scoring.

I really don't have much of a beef against the Rangers, other than recently we just play like shit against you guys because your style is very good at exploiting our weaknesses. I really don't get what you're so butthurt about. We've been admitting our team's weaknesses left and right, and in turn you seem intent to just sit there and insist anyone calling into question any element of your admittedly good team has no idea what they're talking about.

I get how you guys have developed fragile egos over the last few years. You haven't had the chance to have that fragility get abused over and over again to develop the callousness to failure that we Flyers fans have. That's fair. It comes with time. Don't worry though. We'll be here to help you through the process as your team consistently fails to meet high expectations.

Stasis

Um, I think you're misreading my statement. First of all no one is going to dispute your top 3, obviously. They're outstanding. The second line is solid. I wouldn't go further than that. After that I think there's a dropoff. "Some other dudes" was me commenting on the disparity between the top and that directly below it. Compare that to teams like the Flyers or Pens where there seems to be a less heavy "top line" for more balanced scoring.

I really don't have much of a beef against the Rangers, other than recently we just play like shit against you guys because your style is very good at exploiting our weaknesses. I really don't get what you're so butthurt about. We've been admitting our team's weaknesses left and right, and in turn you seem intent to just sit there and insist anyone calling into question any element of your admittedly good team has no idea what they're talking about.

I get how you guys have developed fragile egos over the last few years. You haven't had the chance to have that fragility get abused over and over again to develop the callousness to failure that we Flyers fans have. That's fair. It comes with time. Don't worry though. We'll be here to help you through the process as your team consistently fails to meet high expectations.

I was cool with you despite your comment. It was intended to get a response and it got one, but you welcomed discussion and I responded. It ended there. I like that type of "argument". Absolutely zero butthurt/salt from me.

The rest was just me trying to get the other dude up to speed after all his nonsense about the Devils beating us and nothing but championships matter blablabla.

Either way, you keep referring to this top 3 because they're practicing those lines right now. It's Torts and it's pre-season camp. It's widely believed the two "big guns" will be mostly separated, making a more balanced top 6 - like what you're referring to with the Pens and Flyers. That's what I responded to, to you. It's all irrelevant until we're a few games in and know more of what's what with line composition and chemistry.

We have several big weaknesses I'm more than willing to discuss openly! Just because I called out a falsity that referred to a weakness I didn't agree with doesn't mean I'm not cognizant of/comfortable admitting those I do know of. Lack of center depth, unproven PK'ers after having lost key guys in that department, slow "4th" line, missing a good RH PMD/PPQB being chief among them. It's not all roses, and I damn well know it. =P

Lack of center depth, unproven PK'ers after having lost key guys in that department

I don't agree with these. Richards-Step-Boyle is more than fine down the middle and Halpern is great at faceoffs. Would I take an upgrade? Absolutely. But Boyle is criminally underrated as a checking line center.

The PK is fine. Cally, Boyle, Hags, Step are all great there. Even Nash can PK.

Rangers need another vet D.

Stasis

I don't agree with these. Richards-Step-Boyle is more than fine down the middle and Halpern is great at faceoffs. Would I take an upgrade? Absolutely. But Boyle is criminally underrated as a checking line center.

The PK is fine. Cally, Boyle, Hags, Step are all great there. Even Nash can PK.

Rangers need another vet D.

Boyle is perfect for the 3rd line, and a great checking center. My concern is what happens if Step or Richards goes down? That's where lack of depth hurts us as there's no one to step in really. I liked the rumors about possible interest in Moore.

Our PK was awesome last year, so I think we can tolerate a little loss there but we did lose several key elements. Too many to just transition into the same level this year even though some guys can be groomed into that role, like Hags, and Pyatt... perhaps Nash occasionally. I just don't think it will be smooth sailing from the get-go. Hopefully I'm wrong! Adding a vet D-man would be great.

lupin23rd

Thanks for the article. I'm on my bed trying to sleep but Id love to read a good article about the new CBA. Are there any other good resources?

And anyone else feel it is a bit unfair that Nashville has to suffer such penalties when it was Philly that engineered th me Weber contract?

I agree, although to be honest I guess if he had signed a deal with Nashville directly it very likely could have looked similar to what they have to deal with now, so they'd probably be in a bind either way.

Is that article accurate? Seems pretty harsh. I'd actually assumed the rule only applied to any new contracts that were signed as such, I mean those contracts were technically "legal" at the time and there's only a handful of them isn't there?

Anyway, if the articles numbers are accurate Vancouver will probably be in rebuilding mode by the time we get fucked over so no big deal.

Cake Boss

Banned
I keep reading and hearing about the Oilers and their stars are tearing up the AHL and how dominate they were and how good OKC is, I check the AHL stats.................................................................

7th IN THE CONFERENCE!!! Not 7th in the league but conference, barely making the playoffs lol.

i1pccQ83rmIGV.gif

I wonder what will happen if every team put their top line at the AHL, OKC will just be 30th just like Edmonton will be.

There's only a 5 point difference between 1st and 8th in OKC's conference.

What happened to Linus Omark? He had a decent rookie season and then disappeared.

Red_Man

Get fucked. Morgan "#1" Rielly will make GalchenSUCK his little bitch.

AqEhL.png

That's what I'm talking about. We can't have a guy who doesn't even watch his team out salt the two biggest hockey markets in the world.

PS. Rielly is a cunt. A dirty, homeless man blowing cunt who looks like he got defensive tips from Campoli.

Red_Man

Dude, I wasn't even trying, that was HONESTLY one of my favourite moments from last season. Not even in an anti-Habs kind of way, it was just brilliant.

I'm so done with last season anyway :(
I'm serious, that's one of my favourite moments :lol Tabris has made every Canucks loss fantastic. I'm pretty sure that's one of every ones favourite moments.

Top Bottom