• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

calder

Jokinen's actually not having a terrible year. Not worth his contract money, but that's up at the end of the season. I could see him as a rental somewhere.

Jokinen's been more 'good' than 'effective' in a weird way. He's had plenty of games where he's been really good but doesn't have the production to show for it, but his production hasn't been awful. Granted I'm grading on a generous curve that assumes he's overpaid by about 1-1.5 mill a year.

I really liked Maurice in this first press conference. Really good communicator, as you'd expect, seemed to know what the team's issues are as well as can be expected at this point.

fallout

Jokinen's been more 'good' than 'effective' in a weird way. He's had plenty of games where he's been really good but doesn't have the production to show for it, but his production hasn't been awful. Granted I'm grading on a generous curve that assumes he's overpaid by about 1-1.5 mill a year.
My biggest complaint about him last year was that it looked like he wasn't even trying. I'd see Kane in deep fighting for the puck like a madman while Jokinen's sauntering over the blue line. This year, he actually seems to be working at it, but like you say ... it's not clicking as much as it could.

I really liked Maurice in this first press conference. Really good communicator, as you'd expect, seemed to know what the team's issues are as well as can be expected at this point.
I was a bit down about it yesterday as I felt it wouldn't really change all that much. Since that time, I've worked myself up to: "Eh. We'll see what he can do."

Quick

Banned
I sort of feel bad for Paul Maurice. In recent times, he's brought in as a replacement and I feel like he's eventually just going to be fired within 2 or 3 seasons anyway.

...wtf..????

Hope_Smoke tweeted the comments.

But that does align with the terribad responses we've seen from Dreger, McKenzie, McLean, Kypreos and Simmons (lol) about the problems the Leafs are facing this year.

Stastny? 6m and on pace for 55 pts? Nonis would give him 8/8.

edit: Maurice will be fine if the Jets can get solve their goaltending problem.

Socreges

Banned
Well I hear he's a two-way player so he'll be fine in our system. If he gets us to 3 goals a game through goals or assists he's well worth it. His 39 points would be the most on our squad.
Well worth what?

Anyway I'm not suggesting he wouldn't help the Devils with his 34 points. Just talking about his next contract and subsequent years.

yyzjohn

Banned

tumblr_lu014myBu51qc6lk8o1_500.jpg

pringles

Oh, you guys will pass us and make the playoffs, we're missing half our team and we suck. Alfie chose wrong. :(
We'll be fine. Missing our 1st, 2nd and 3rd line centers, two top-6 wingers, #2 d-man, #2 goalie that's outplayed our #1 goalie and apparently Kronwall and others were throwing up throughout the Anaheim game because of a flu bug. This shit has to turn around sooner or later.

Var

Per Flyers twitter account:

"ROSTER UPDATE: Tye McGinn has been loaned back to @phantomshockey."

Hopefully Read is healthy.

Stastny didn't practice today but he was injured during the second period of the last game so who knows.
It would be because of injury, players who about to get traded still practice. Most of the time they get traded and pulled off the ice during practice. I actually think the Avs want to re-sign him. Hacks are just resorting to Stastny/O'reilly rumors because of our center depth.

It would be because of injury, players who about to get traded still practice. Most of the time they get traded and pulled off the ice during practice. I actually think the Avs want to re-sign him. Hacks are just resorting to Stastny/O'reilly rumors because of our center depth.

Well it's odd because he made the trip despite being injured. Also Sami Aittokallio was called up so now Varly is playing 3 straight.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Considering he was going to play against minnesota and didn't I figured he'd be in tonight.

edit: Also, Sim City is finally getting an offline mode. Bring on the bigger map mods!

Only a year after release! I got burned so hard on that preorder :(

Giggzy

So I keep hearing that hockey is an expensive hobby to take up. Is it? How often are you breaking sticks? I know the initial cost of skates and gear will be expensive but those stuff should last for years with proper care. The leagues over here are $460 for a 16 game season so that's not too bad. My biggest concern is how frequently I'm going to need sticks.

We'll be fine. Missing our 1st, 2nd and 3rd line centers, two top-6 wingers, #2 d-man, #2 goalie that's outplayed our #1 goalie and apparently Kronwall and others were throwing up throughout the Anaheim game because of a flu bug. This shit has to turn around sooner or later.

As we thought with all of our injuries, last year, and the year before, and the year before, etc..... I hope your right but man I just am not seeing it.

So I keep hearing that hockey is an expensive hobby to take up. Is it? How often are you breaking sticks? I know the initial cost of skates and gear will be expensive but those stuff should last for years with proper care. The leagues over here are $460 for a 16 game season so that's not too bad. My biggest concern is how frequently I'm going to need sticks.

Yes, hockey is very expensive when you total up going to the rink for open skate/drop in, all your gear, league/learn to play prices, etc... Once you have your gear you are set for a while, but down the road prepare to put a decent amount into new gear eventually. Though starting as an adult is easier since you really aren't outgrowing your gear like a little kid.

Quick

Banned

If you're going to find yourself ripping NHL-calibre shots every game, better stock up. Having a couple of sticks handy wouldn't be a bad idea realistically.

Not sure how the equipment market is there, but tons of stores here always have sticks on clearance. Wooden and composite.

My friend who is really into it breaks about 1 a year on average. He spends $80/stick I think it was.

My friend who is really into it breaks about 1 a year on average. He spends $80/stick I think it was.

Better than spending time a whole bunch of time research and then getting a 250 dollar stick to only have it snap by getting caught in between the Zamboni doors two days after the warranty expired..... :/

Acid08

Banned
Can hardly wait for the "USA USA!" chants tonight when the Flames play the Huricanes. Idiots. :/
Didn't they chant that after Faulk scored a goal? After being named to the US Olympic team? Are y'all really so fucking dense that you can't figure out the reason why that chant would happen for a US Olympian in a US city on a US team? Christ.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
https://vine.co/v/hLZLe6q99bL

Didn't they chant that after Faulk scored a goal? After being named to the US Olympic team? Are y'all really so fucking dense that you can't figure out the reason why that chant would happen for a US Olympian in a US city on a US team? Christ.
You assuming they chanted that for that reason is equivalent to you calling people dense for people assuming they're redneck hits chanting USA because it's happened many times before.

Samyy

Has it? I'm no expert on the Carolina Hurricanes.

That was the reason the Tank started the chant. Pavs scored a goal in the first game after being named an Olympian.

No they randomly chanted USA when they beat the Leafs earlier as well. Jordan Staal and Skinner lead them in scoring and Lindholm scored the final goal just before they started to chant.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Has it? I'm no expert on the Carolina Hurricanes.

That was the reason the Tank started the chant. Pavs scored a goal in the first game after being named an Olympian.
From my experience in the NC area, the crowd chanting USA just because isn't that much of a stretch.

zedge

If only that were the case. And blow me sideways.

Socreges

Banned
lol

Don't blame Acid, guys. The education system in the USA is atrocious.

Considering he was going to play against minnesota and didn't I figured he'd be in tomorrow.

edit: Also, Sim City is finally getting an offline mode. Bring on the bigger map mods!

Unfortunately they said they tried to do bigger maps, but the game couldn't handle it (lame), that's when I gave up on it, haven't played Sim City since its launch window.

zedge

It's North Carolina, it shouldn't be too surprising and they're not the only team that does it.
I recall San Jose doing this vs the Flames in the 04 playoffs. Glad we beat them. :p

Too be fair though. All the idiot bluejay fans from Vancouver and area go down to Seattle when the jays are in town. Wandering around with their maple leafs and singing o Canada at the bars. Have witnessed this first hand.. Was embarrassed to be Canadian at that point.smh

calder

My mother in law once said "you'uns" or something, I just stared blankly at her for a bit. I think, based on context, she was talking about us as a collective group. I asked my wife wtf that meant later but it was incomprehensible even after the fact so I forgot again.

Still, the best combination of regional accent and baffling idioms (which, thanks to Sterling Archer we all now is properly defined as colloquial metaphor) I've ever experienced was in rural Tennessee. I kinda miss it, it was pretty fun sometimes. As a prairie boy I have to say I *loved* Tennessee from a geographical point of view. The history and stuff was also super cool, and the people were nice (granted I was basically a tourist so ppl are normally a bit more polite in small towns when they realize you're from a different country).

ANYWAY it's pretty obvious Acid08 is going to need to banned before the Olympics. I'll submit the official request in a week or so to make sure there is enough time to process. Am I correct in assuming the US-NHL-GAF is going to once more submit Tabris as their one pre-tourney veto?

Acid08

Banned
My mother in law once said "you'uns" or something, I just stared blankly at her for a bit. I think, based on context, she was talking about us as a collective group. I asked my wife wtf that meant later but it was incomprehensible even after the fact so I forgot again.

Still, the best combination of regional accent and baffling idioms (which, thanks to Sterling Archer we all now is properly defined as colloquial metaphor) I've ever experienced was in rural Tennessee. I kinda miss it, it was pretty fun sometimes.

ANYWAY it's pretty obvious Acid08 is going to need to banned before the Olympics. I'll submit the official request in a week or so to make sure there is enough time to process. Am I correct in assuming the US-NHL-GAF is going to once more submit Tabris as their one pre-tourney veto?
Ooooooh baby, look at that Canadian education system shine!

Socreges

Banned
I already submitted wsoxfan about a month ago. Still says 'Pending'.

Socreges

Banned
Ooooooh baby, look at that Canadian education system shine!
Oh. You thought I was making fun of "y'all" before as if it were an error? Nah. Was laughing at your ironic density.

I happen to like "y'all", so long as it's not being used by Canadians.

Top Bottom