• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Merguson

Banned
Was it mentioned there are plans to have a beach volleyball area in the Dodgers stadium with the hockey game?
la-sp-dodgers-stadium-outdoor-hockey-game-20140112.jpg

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
phoenix coyotes are averaging 10,885 fans a game through 22 games

8,800 fans were in attendance for the ducks game which is 5,000 less than announced
(based on the money glendale is getting from the $3 surcharge)

we dont know if preseason is included, either which would make the average less than 10k

Osorio

Devils are using 7 Dmen tonight

Also, nj.com is suggesting we trade Volchenkov for Briere

Bad contract for bad contract.

Osorio

phoenix coyotes are averaging 10,885 fans a game through 22 games

8,800 fans were in attendance for the ducks game which is 5,000 less than announced
(based on the money glendale is getting from the $3 surcharge)

we dont know if preseason is included, either which would make the average less than 10k

I normally don't like it when people ask for a franchise to be moved, but the Coyotes will cause Glendale financial damage for a very long time. The Nordiques should be back by now.

DopeyFish

I normally don't like it when people ask for a franchise to be moved, but the Coyotes will cause Glendale financial damage for a very long time. The Nordiques should be back by now.

Well, the fun part will be coming up. Theres no way that the new owners can afford 5 years of the coyotes at current attendance. Especially without the playoff money pot and the cap going up and up.

Fun fact: the money TVA is paying for the French national TV rights for $150 million a year, which is $50 million less than the US national TV rights and they only have one team lol

DopeyFish

@jonasTSN1050: Carlyle hints at using Holland in more offensive situations in the days ahead. Says team has probably overused McClement.

YOU DONT SAY

Looks like Carlyle finally started reading forums........to get real answers.

My latest half-assed, half-baked theory is that Nonis and Leiweke's comments - just the fact that they had to come on the air and make them - suggests Carlyle is on the 'hot seat'.
I'm thinking it's the same kind of 'vote of confidence' football managers get when the press starts asking the oil-baron owners about their club's recent form.

calder

Maurice said one thing you will find with the team is that he’s going to provide the direction, and there will be no ranting and raving about the players’ mistakes until he makes it clear what he wants.

"Before I get on them about what they’re doing and where they’re supposed to be, it’s my job to tell them what to do and where to go," he said.

One thing that might help Maurice as he dives in with both feet is his two-year stint with the Toronto Maple Leafs, 2006-08.

"I’m aware of the effect of this (media conference) in the locker room," he said. "It’s an understanding you can’t have until you’ve worked there. Now I was probably (several) hundred games into the NHL before I took that Leaf job and there were a lot of days in that first two or three months that I... could not believe that. It took me a while to realize that when I say Mats Sundin is not playing well, that’s a three-day scrum at his locker.

Whoa, didn't take Maurice long to tie the can to Sundin. When you wear the C there is additional pressure for sure.

Heretic

Was it mentioned there are plans to have a beach volleyball area in the Dodgers stadium with the hockey game?
la-sp-dodgers-stadium-outdoor-hockey-game-20140112.jpg
That looks pretty awesome. Sucks they priced the tickets too high and now they have a shitstorm to deal with.

I know a couple of people going to this. I'd go if the tickets were cheaper

That looks pretty awesome. Sucks they priced the tickets too high and now they have a shitstorm to deal with.

I know a couple of people going to this. I'd go if the tickets were cheaper

Most people are probably going for Beach Volleyball and will try to figure out why there is a hockey rink in the middle of the field.

Osorio

I'm still pissed over the fact that my friends from LA talked mad shit about the 2012 Finals and those were the only 6 hockey games they've ever seen to this day.

Acid08

Banned

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Somehow get Girardi Leafs :(
Is there even any chance the Rangers let him walk?

Difficult to say. If they're not going to sign him, he'll probably be a trade deadline deal. Unlike Del Zotto (who actually has, gasp, been playing pretty well this past week), Girardi could have some serious trade value for a team looking to make a run.

It seemed like there was quite a big gap between what Girardi's camp wants and what the Rangers are willing to give him, at least as of the last time we got any such info.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Girardi, Markov and Boyle seem like the best that might be available as free agents. Emphasis on might.

Niskanen and Nikitin are intriguing. Pitkanen would get a lot of attention if he could show his injury was fully healed.

I don't think Markov is going anywhere. He's said he would like to finish his career in Montreal. TSN/Montreal Gazette is saying that he's dropped his agent and is starting contract negotiations representing himself. Doesn't sound like someone who is looking to test the market.

Acid08

Banned
Girardi, Markov and Boyle seem like the best that might be available as free agents. Emphasis on might.

Niskanen and Nikitin are intriguing. Pitkanen would get a lot of attention if he could show his injury was fully healed.
Boyle wants to stay here so I'm sure a deal is going to be worked out.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This is what Pleks said to Subban after he got the confirmation call from Team Canada regarding Sochi:

I don't think Markov is going anywhere. He's said he would like to finish his career in Montreal. TSN/Montreal Gazette is saying that he's dropped his agent and is starting contract negotiations representing himself. Doesn't sound like someone who is looking to test the market.
I highly doubt Markov is going anywhere, especially with how well he's played this year.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
This is what Pleks said to Subban after he got the confirmation call from Team Canada regarding Sochi:

I highly doubt Markov is going anywhere, especially with how well he's played this year.

"We were a family, and a team that sticks together, wins together"

Quick

Banned
Speaking of Paul Maurice, his contract is only until the end of the season. Strange. I didn't remember hearing that mentioned.

Interim position without outright saying it. There was no mention of his contract when the news broke, so that's a surprise for me.

The media makes it sound like he's there for a while.

Top Bottom