• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Quick

Banned
I've always hated Spector, but I listened to the Hockey Central he was on a few days ago and managed to hate him so much more. What a fucking tool, his condescending "I'm not against fancy stats, I just don't need 'em because I'm a hockey genius anyway" bullshit is so old.

So yeah, yet another column from him won't matter.... *reads* nope I was wrong, I somehow think less of him yet again.

Those are all great points and I agree 100% with those points, regarding those coloured Jets players.

What, I'm not a racist. I have coloured friends!

Stasis

Looking forward to tonight's game. I like the Red Wings, recent woes aside, for just overall team dynamic. I respect them I guess is the better word for it. Zetterberg is among my favorite players to watch and cheer for when he's not up against us. They're the team I'd follow out West. Kinda preferred when they were out there, but now I get to see more of them. Lots of respect for Alfredsson (sorry Cakeboss) and Datsyuk as well.

It's also technically a 4 pointer (wild card) but a lot of games will be for a while. It's so tight in the 50 point range among Metropolitan teams and a few Atlantic. Lot of teams battling it out for a spot over the next 30 should make for some real fun games.

Osorio

Not watching the game tonight but I hope Schneider continues to do well.

I'm starting to see him transition from our 1A goalie to #1 goalie.

And he's been practicing his stickhandling as well.

I just read about the Ducks zamboni driver getting killed over the weekend from a motorcycle accident :( RIP

They had a tribute video for him during the first intermission. They had pictures and mentioned it on TV as well. He was beloved by the organization and the community. Played hockey locally.
:(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think what I understand even less than the score is that THE SAME REF gave us THREE one-sided 7min penalties in CONSECUTIVE games.

What exactly is Paul Devorski's problem.

Looking forward to tonight's game. I like the Red Wings, recent woes aside, for just overall team dynamic. I respect them I guess is the better word for it. Zetterberg is among my favorite players to watch and cheer for when he's not up against us. They're the team I'd follow out West. Kinda preferred when they were out there, but now I get to see more of them. Lots of respect for Alfredsson (sorry Cakeboss) and Datsyuk as well.

It's also technically a 4 pointer (wild card) but a lot of games will be for a while. It's so tight in the 50 point range among Metropolitan teams and a few Atlantic. Lot of teams battling it out for a spot over the next 30 should make for some real fun games.

Well at least you will enjoy the win tonight too (still missing half our team and Tatar is out for his dad's funeral). Pretty much only star players we have is Kronwall and Zetterberg at the moment.

Giggzy

They had a tribute video for him during the first intermission. They had pictures and mentioned it on TV as well. He was beloved by the organization and the community. Played hockey locally.
:(

That was nice of them to do. I was watching a stream and it just went to blank screens during commercials and intermissions. I'm sad I missed it.

fallout

I've always hated Spector, but I listened to the Hockey Central he was on a few days ago and managed to hate him so much more. What a fucking tool, his condescending "I'm not against fancy stats, I just don't need 'em because I'm a hockey genius anyway" bullshit is so old.

So yeah, yet another column from him won't matter.... *reads* nope I was wrong, I somehow think less of him yet again.
There are some standout items in that column for sure. This one jumped out at me:

Then, when the Jets are trailing—often because of the aforementioned—Byfuglien is out there on the power play because the team needs a goal. Sugar time, awarded to a guy who doesn’t deserve it.
Yeah, because who wouldn't put a defenseman with the 3rd highest points across all defenseman in the league out on the power play?

The rest of it is just a bunch of made up shit that I can't even acknowledge. His whole argument is basically: "Noel was playing these guys too much, but he secretly knew they were bad players, but kept playing them lots because something."

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Well at least you will enjoy the win tonight too (still missing half our team and Tatar is out for his dad's funeral). Pretty much only star players we have is Kronwall and Zetterberg at the moment.

Do you have an AHL goalie who can start? You're all but assured victory tonight as it is.

pringles

"@tsnscottcullen: J.Tootoo, M.Samuelsson & T.Mitchell are only forwards with lower ATOI than Matt Hendricks (11:33), while getting paid more on AAV ($1.85M)."

Lol Holland, lol Wings, lol Alfie, lol Crazed.
"Mitchell would be a good deadline pickup. "

- Ken Holland

456600973.jpg

Bruins are in town tonight.

Fuck the Bruins and The Patriots.
Most refs are probably from Boston amirite.

I totally thought you were Tabris, with the Canuck fan in the picture. Then you complained about refs and I had to check.

Tanguay and Patrenteau are both close to returning, that's awesome. Hopefully we can have our full roster again, we haven't since October. Stastny is out tonight, so We'll be missing half of our top 6 tonight, at least Johnson will be playing.

ZeroGravity

Stamkos participated in a morning skate for the first time since his injury. Feeling 95% positive he'll be back before the Olympics now.

It's funny that Detroit fans all wanted him to be suspended so he wouldn't play for a few games, not because he deserved one for elbowing a player in the head.

Basically, fuck Detroit fans.

Forget elbows, or hits to the head/behind, Cleary still playing in the NHL and getting ridiculous ice time over more deserving rookies should be considered a suspension against him and the coach.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Not sure if I should even bother watching tonight. If we could win a game against Ottawa that would be just dandy.

kingslunk

Never really looked at stats too closely. Being new to hockey and all.

But I think Chiasson could be a huge problem. -15 in +/-. Not only is he not scoring, but he's on the ice when Dallas is getting scored on. Defensive pairings could be an issue. How exactly are defensive lines matched up with the offensive lines. Does each D line usually play with every offensive line?

See we had the same discussion last time we played you guys and we both assured each other the victory. Guess who was right on that one?

I would laugh if it wasn't quite plausible

Yeah but Rangers are heading into their "we can't score" phase of the roller coaster. They've just had a slew of games in a row where they've scored a bunch, now comes time for the dip.

But I think Chiasson could be a huge problem. -15 in +/-. Not only is he not scoring, but he's on the ice when Dallas is getting scored on. Defensive pairings could be an issue. How exactly are defensive lines matched up with the offensive lines. Does each D line usually play with every offensive line?

You have 3 D pairings.

One is usually a "shut down" pairing. They're put out against the other team's top scoring line. Their job is to prevent goals.

One may be a more "offensive" pairing. This pair usually plays with the team's top scoring line, and get power play time.

The 3rd pairing plays fewer minutes and usually are out against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines.

kingslunk

You have 3 D pairings.

One is usually a "shut down" pairing. They're put out against the other team's top scoring line. Their job is to prevent goals.

One may be a more "offensive" pairing. This pair usually plays with the team's top scoring line, and get power play time.

The 3rd pairing plays fewer minutes and usually are out against the other team's 3rd and 4th lines.

Yeah I know there's 3 pairings. However the relation with their team's offensive lines is what I was asking about. How often do they end up on the ice with another line then the desired one?

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

I wouldn't worry about +/- too much, but he and Cole do stand out on Dallas, so it could be a problem. Your best bet is to look at some advanced stats to see which kind of opponent he gets matched up with.

If he starts the majority of his shifts in the offensive zone, and plays against easy opposition, then you may start worrying a bit.

Yeah I know there's 3 pairings. However the relation with their team's offensive lines is what I was asking about. How often do they end up on the ice with another line then the desired one?

It depends on your team makeup, if you have defensive forwards they can play as a shutdown line if your defense can't get the job done or needs extra help. There really isn't a one-size fits all system out there. I'd try to talk to other Stars fans about it because I don't know if many around here watch them enough to comment on the situation. The kid is a winger and assuming he's actually playing that position he has less defensive responsibility than whoever centers him (depending on your system, but it's common). It could be miscommunication, it could be a development thing, it could be anything. Make some Stars fan friends bro, I'm sure they'll have some insight.

kingslunk

It depends on your team makeup, if you have defensive forwards they can play as a shutdown line if your defense can't get the job done or needs extra help. There really isn't a one-size fits all system out there. I'd try to talk to other Stars fans about it because I don't know if many around here watch them enough to comment on the situation. The kid is a winger and assuming he's actually playing that position he has less defensive responsibility than whoever centers him (depending on your system, but it's common). It could be miscommunication, it could be a development thing, it could be anything. Make some Stars fan friends bro, I'm sure they'll have some insight.

Stars fans are few and far between. There might actually be more Bruins fans in our stadium tonight than stars fans.

I just need to pay attention tonight and I'll have my questions answered.

Osorio

Stars fans are few and far between. There might actually be more Bruins fans in our stadium tonight than stars fans.

I just need to pay attention tonight and I'll have my questions answered.

Once you get really into it and are able to explain the intricacies of the game, you can get your friends into it as well.

Hockey, like soccer, is not that great to most people until they "get it".

pringles

We aren't in a drought like that, we just can't score, period.
Hard to score with three 4th lines. I don't know what the fuck the Wings are doing, now Andersson is out with a 'lower body injury'. Not that he's important but it just goes to show this team can't even stay healthy in-between games.

Zetterberg-Sheahan-Glendening-Emmerton

Now that is strength down the middle.

edit:

Ansar Khan ‏@AnsarKhanMLive 24 s
With Joakim Andersson out tonight, Drew Miller and Kyle Quincey will be the only Wings to have played in all 47 games.

Top Bottom