• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Holiday

Banned
Lol. It'll be a tough game to win on a back to back.

Why do some people think the Ducks are at some next level compared to the Hawks and Blues? They're 2 and 4 in the league and St. Louis played fewer games.

The Blues are cowards against your division, and their goaltenders are yellow. The only thing they're better at than Anaheim is roughhousing and growing hair.

Year after year people say the Oilers can create opportunities with speed. What a pile of bullshit. It's fine to have some speed players on a team, but when you have to base a team philosophy on it, it's a losing battle. Size matters in the NHL, and I'll take size + skill over speed + skill any day.

You might hate these guys, but this article is I think a pretty damning, and accurate, assessment of what's gone wrong in Edmonton.

What I don't understand is why Edmonton - now heading toward yet another lottery pick - isn't moving a 1st, or a guy like Yakupov - for 2nd line forwards and/or 1 and 2 pairing defencement.

Deraldin

Unconfirmed Member
Nattinen has high hopes for his first game as a Hab considering he'll be starting with Parros and Moen.

James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

Habs' Joonas Nattinen on what he expects in his NHL debut tonight: "Hat trick."

Also, Beaulieu is in for Diaz tonight. Bouillon lives to skate another game.

Curufinwe

Stolarz out four weeks with his skate cut per his OHL team. Thank god it wasn't a probable career ender like the one Wellwood suffered.

Samyy

You might hate these guys, but this article is I think a pretty damning, and accurate, assessment of what's gone wrong in Edmonton.

What I don't understand is why Edmonton - now heading toward yet another lottery pick - isn't moving a 1st, or a guy like Yakupov - for 2nd line forwards and/or 1 and 2 pairing defencement.

This is what I'm waiting for, I feel like they've decided on their core being Eberle, Hall and RNH. They won't have the money to keep all of them.
Though I assume a guy like Yakupov is hard to trade, one of their biggest assets and trading him makes a big impact on the direction of their franchise. If you mess up you don't live that down.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
You ready Leafs-Gaf? Time for a good old Subban pounding.

Joel-Ward1.jpg

?

Samyy

There really is nothing wrong with the picks Edmonton has made, but they've neglected to build their D-core which is the problem. All the guys they took were consensus #1s and the rule of thumb is to take best player available and move them for positions of need down the road is it not?

Obviously they've utterly failed to provide any support to their top prospects, drafting isn't really the problem - they need some veteran help that can alleviate the pressure on these guys, especially Schultz.

There really is nothing wrong with the picks Edmonton has made, but they've neglected to build their D-core which is the problem. All the guys they took were consensus #1s and the rule of thumb is to take best player available and move them for positions of need down the road is it not?

Obviously they've utterly failed to provide any support to their top prospects, drafting isn't really the problem - they need some veteran help that can alleviate the pressure on these guys, especially Schultz.

The fact that they've moved no one except Dubnyk shows the mentality behind drafting the way they did, or at the very least makes it easy to be suspicious of. Right now it looks very much like they expected picking #1 to fix everything because #1 picks solve all problems.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
The fact that they've moved no one except Dubnyk shows the mentality behind drafting the way they did, or at the very least makes it easy to be suspicious of. Right now it looks very much like they expected picking #1 to fix everything because #1 picks solve all problems.

Hey, they moved Smid.

Which... was completely counterproductive to what they should be trying to accomplish. so... LOLOILERS.

Also, I can't get over how awful that half/half jersey is.

Oh man, I had to jet after the 4-2 loss yesterday to have cheese and wine with mum and the +1... I just had the WEIRDEST dreams last night. Like seriously it was a cross between Far Cry Blood Dragon and NHL 94. Anyway, I was playing cyber hockey(!?) (it was like TRON) with a guy that looked like James Deen in New Zealand on the frozen lakes (do they even exist there?) I was being a terrible goalie and James Deen clone kept wiring shots that had laser trails, they kept going through my glove and everything. For some reason we decided to get marshmallows (I fucking hate marshmallows) after playing and ended up going on this adventure through the New Zealand mountains while these half polygon-"90s 3D" creatures kept trying to stop us from finding marshmallows.

Fuck cheese.

Hopefully the Ducks at least throw the Blues a cleanup towel after the pounding coming tonight.

Ohhh nonono, you're not gonna reverse jinx just like Marvie did yesterday nooo nonono.

Lol. It'll be a tough game to win on a back to back.

Why do some people think the Ducks are at some next level compared to the Hawks and Blues? They're 2 and 4 in the league and St. Louis played fewer games.

Exactly. We're a good team I guess but we're not like "Let's steamroll the whole fucking league whenever we want". The guys just play really hard and have a huge amount of confidence in the guys next to them and the guy behind them. And Bruce is a really good coach. If elite teams step up and want to defeat us, then they can and do (See: Sharks, Blackhawks, Kings etc). St Louis are going to be out for our blood and we're probably gonna shed quite a bit.

Just hopefully we make them bleed their own blood a bit too.

Samyy

Yea its looking like a big management issue, need to clean house.

Curufinwe

The rumor is they wanted Coburn at the draft but only offered second rounders. That wasn't enough and now they're the worst defensive team in the league.

Yep.

They just sucked for three years and made no effort to build a supporting cast around the kids.

They haven't sheltered these kids at all.

Parch

Gotta keep Hall and Nuge. The problem with Yakupov is exactly what I was worried about. Primma Donna.
It really bugged me that he used the media to complain about ice time. Dude, you're the worst +/- in the league and allergic to back checking, you refuse to adopt any team system, you think you can dangle through the entire opposition, you're lucky you get the ice time you do.
Kid needs to do some serious growing up.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
who the hell is this guy and why is everyone cheering for him

is it bad i live right near sunnydale park and i had no fuckin idea they made a rink there? lol

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
CHRIS HADFIELD?!

You Habitants are gonna get rocked tonight!

edit: the half French version?! Fucking shootout confirmed...fucking hell...

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
who the hell is this guy and why is everyone cheering for him

is it bad i live right near sunnydale park and i had no fuckin idea they made a rink there? lol

You don't know Real Canadian Hero Chris Hadfield?

But seriously, CHRIS HADFIELD? AWWW YISS

Top Bottom