• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

shadowkat

Unconfirmed Member
To top it all off, here's Giordano's hilarious embellishment penalty from tonight. Sorry for the yellow tint, I think f.lux fucked with it, not sure.

i6YesZCETt7bl.gif

It's like an old timey gif.

So he really just grabbed on to the stick, held it against him and then leaned backwards to fall on his ass. That's something else.

Quick

Banned
I like the tint. Sets the mood nicely.

Reminds me of the part of an infomercial that shows you the actors looking like they fucked up.

Can't embellish properly? Having trouble drawing that penalty? Well, check out Ryan Kesler.

Developed by a doctor who couldn't fall, Ryan Kesler is perfect for your diving needs.

Need that power play to try and tie the game? Ryan Kesler!

Need to put that pesky Dustin Brown in the penalty box, but can't make him knee someone? Ryan Kesler!

Need to demonstrate proper stop, drop and roll procedures? Ryan Kesler!

Need to make crispy bacon without all that fatty oil? Ryan Kesler!

Acid08

Banned
Reminds me of the part of an infomercial that shows you the actors looking like they fucked up.

Can't embellish properly? Having trouble drawing that penalty? Well, check out Ryan Kesler.

Developed by a doctor who couldn't fall, Ryan Kesler is perfect for your diving needs.

Need that power play to try and tie the game? Ryan Kesler!

Need to put that pesky Dustin Brown in the penalty box, but can't make him knee someone? Ryan Kesler!

Need to demonstrate proper stop, drop and roll procedures? Ryan Kesler!

Need to make crispy bacon without all that fatty oil? Ryan Kesler!
LOL there is nothing better than this

I wouldn't call watching the Flames watching "hockey" either.

That said, as much as I fucking hate the Canucks, Flames-GAF is getting real fucking stupid in here. My god.

I remember when the Canucks used to manhandle the Flames with Sedin wizardry and with the greatest of ease. All while the Flames quietly got depressed and sulked off to the dressing room.

And c'mon, it's not like they got BETTER this year.

Ive literally never seen this. There have been maybe one or two contests of godfuckingknows how many that have been really evenly matched.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I remember when the Canucks used to manhandle the Flames with Sedin wizardry and with the greatest of ease. All while the Flames quietly got depressed and sulked off to the dressing room.

And c'mon, it's not like they got BETTER this year.

Ive literally never seen this. There have been maybe one or two contests of godfuckingknows how many that have been really evenly matched.

Yeah that's curiously mostly how our games with the Leafs go, not the Flames. Are games against the Flames also mostly end with us winning, but they're much closer. Leafs games are more one-sided.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's curiously mostly how our games with the Leafs go, not the Flames. Are games against the Flames also mostly end with us winning, but they're much closer. Leafs games are more one-sided.
I think cause the leafs smoke up that BC bud when they head out there. Would explain Raymond always looking high.

Smiley90

Argue what exactly?

That the line brawl was somehow Torts's fault. Because it's unnatural that you don't wanna risk your top players get injured when the opposing team's coach puts out their goons and a guy that never takes faceoffs.

That the line brawl was somehow Torts's fault. Because it's unnatural that you don't wanna risk your top players get injured when the opposing team's coach puts out their goons and a guy that never takes faceoffs.

I dont think its torts fault necessarily but starting a 4th line in retaliation is basically fanning the flames (HA).

I dont think its torts fault necessarily but starting a 4th line in retaliation is basically fanning the flames (HA).

What the fuck was he supposed to do? Risk his better players because your coach decided to start his goons?

Why does the blame instantly pass you guys and fall onto Torts? Because they're supposed to be better than that and you guys are at the bottom of the league and it's okay? Or what's your angle here?

And ffs, I missed that Tabris post.

Smiley90

I'm impressed you went back and found this :lol

He didn't start it "in retaliation". There wasn't really much else at that point he could've done. First line? Naw, Henrik's already injured and Burrows just came back and is still suffering.
Second line? If Kesler gets injured we'll have no good Center left. So might as well put our 4th line out if Hartley wants to do this.

PJ&Flames-GAF are acting like this is all Torts' fault and there was 0% chance the Flames' goons would've touched the Canucks' top lines. Which is bullshit.

That doesn't even BEGIN to ask the question of why Hartley put those guys (again, Westgarth took 3 faceoffs ALL SEASON) to begin with if not to start shit. This is on Hartley, not Torts.

He didn't start it "in retaliation". There wasn't really much else at that point he could've done. First line? Naw, Henrik's already injured and Burrows just came back and is still suffering.
Second line? If Kesler gets injured we'll have no good Center left. So might as well put our 4th line out if Hartley wants to do this.

PJ&Flames-GAF are acting like this is all Torts' fault and there was 0% chance the Flames' goons would've touched the Canucks' top lines. Which is bullshit.

That doesn't even BEGIN to ask the question of why Hartley put those guys (again, Westgarth took 3 faceoffs ALL SEASON) to begin with if not to start shit. This is on Hartley, not Torts.

Yeeeep.

We'll see if you get an actual response or more circular arguments.

im not in the know of the canucks roster, I dont make a habit of caring, sorry. It was what it was. Im not gonna defend it but it takes two to tango as they say.

Also to the people who are saying westgarth had taken 3 faceoffs, thats pretty fucking high considering hes a 4th liner whis been on the team for two weeks. Doesnt change the facts but really theres a reason hes taken 3 faceoffs :p

Has anyone on Flames age give a good explanation as to why they started their fourth line on the opening face off? Other than pounding in faces

Smiley90

Also to the people who are saying westgarth had taken 3 faceoffs, thats pretty fucking high considering hes a 4th liner whis been on the team for two weeks. Doesnt change the facts but really theres a reason hes taken 3 faceoffs :p

Because he's a RW goon on the 4th line, yes. :p There is 0 reason to start him on the opening faceoff except to start shit. And Torts didn't wanna risk him jumping our top players, so he put our 4th line out. Is that really so unreasonable that you guys (zedge/yoda) can't understand that you shouldn't blame Torts for protecting his players?

Yes obviously it takes two to tango, but c'mon, there wasn't much else he could've done without risking his top players' health. And I don't think he has as much faith in "the Flames goons would NEVER EVER jump the Canucks stars! never! They're all good kids and were just out there to have fun!" as you guys do.

Has anyone on Flames age give a good explanation as to why they started their fourth line on the opening face off? Other than pounding in faces

No, they're just posting stuff like this to avoid it:

im not in the know of the canucks roster, I dont make a habit of caring, sorry. It was what it was. Im not gonna defend it but it takes two to tango as they say.

You gotta love the holier than thou hockey fans.

zedge

I never said this was all Torts fault. But I don't think the same would have happened if a different line was put out on the face off by the Canucks. If the NHL thinks this was a shitty move by Hartley then let them deal with it. Its just you guys make it sound like the Flames would have murdered the whole first line.

zedge

No, they're just posting stuff like this to avoid it:

What the hell, that was in response to some wet behind the ears Canuck fan pulling out the casual/bandwagon card. Christ, thats rich coming from that group to begin with.

I'm not stupid, I know what the intention was, and it played out how Hartley expected.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I never said this was all Torts fault. But I don't think the same would have happened if a different line was put out on the face off by the Canucks.
I actually agree with this. Scummy move by Hartley, but I don't think much would have happened had Torts put out his first line. That said I get why he sent out his 4th line to counter. *Shrugs*

Smiley90

I never said this was all Torts fault. But I don't think the same would have happened if a different line was put out on the face off by the Canucks. If the NHL thinks this was a shitty move by Hartley then let them deal with it.

I hope Hartley gets a fine for that move of not even trying to start the game properly and I hope Torts gets a fine for going into the hallway like that.

you can say "the same wouldn't have happened if Torts put another line out there" all you want, but

a) that's not guaranteed, and Torts didn't wanna risk his players' safety on that chance, and you can't blame him for that

b) that still doesn't explain why Hartley put the line out there to begin with if not to start shit.

I actually agree with this. Scummy move by Hartley, but I don't think much would have happened had Torts put out his first line. That said I get why he sent out his 4th line to counter. *Shrugs*

That's not guaranteed though. I understand Torts doesn't have as much faith in the Flames goons' sense of hockey class as Flames fans here, and he wanted to protect Henrik/Burrows (who are both suffering/recovering from injuries) and Kesler (our only healthy top center) from potentially getting jumped ala Scott/Kessel.

I love the SOMEONE HAS TO ANSWER FOR THIS attitude, this is fucking hockey, line brawls happen, get over it guys, if it was your club youd give them the benefit of the doubt, we're not slinging the fucking bullshit AHL comments here. Nevermind that were in full on rebuild more where being barely a scratch above an AHL club is understandable.

Smiley90

I love the SOMEONE HAS TO ANSWER FOR THIS attitude, this is fucking hockey, line brawls happen, get over it guys, if it was your club youd give them the benefit of the doubt, we're not slinging the fucking bullshit AHL comments here.

It's funny because we're not talking about the players/what happened at all. Nobody is blaming either player from either team (okay except I blame Westgarth for going after Lain and ruining his debut game), we're only talking about the coaches.

I blame Hartley for trying to start shit, and I blame Torts for brutally overreacting by trying to get into the hallway.

Torts is getting more then a fine, most likely a suspension.

I'd be okay with this. What did Buffalo get again for sending Scott out, does anyone remember? Hartley might look at something similar.

I can concede that, it was a circus on everones bahalf, im not gonna throw my team under the bus as I wouldnt expect you to either. I honestly wish I knew hartleys exact expecations of the outcome, but I dont.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That's not guaranteed though. I understand Torts doesn't have as much faith in the Flames goons' sense of hockey class as Flames fans here, and he wanted to protect Henrik/Burrows (who are both suffering/recovering from injuries) and Kesler (our only healthy top center) from potentially getting jumped ala Scott/Kessel.
You keep using Scott as a comparative but it's not a fair one.Scott is one of the biggest goons in the league and purely a face puncher, and they had history. It's not the same as starting out a grinding 4th line with fighters. What do you think would have happened? He wasn't going to grab Sedin and start feeding him, lets be real. They would have just ignored them and played, when Torts through out the guys he did, everyone on the ice knew what it meant and that's why the fights broke out. Like I said though, I understand why he responded with his 4th line, and I don't blame him.

zedge

I

b) that still doesn't explain why Hartley put the line out there to begin with if not to start shit.

i think we know the answer to this already. And as Torts answered in kind we saw what happened. Had he not, who knows. You can say there is no guarantee, thats fine. But thats not conclusive and we will never know. I chose to give the benefit of the doubt as you chose not to. Either way it ended up being a pretty damn decent game. I don't even care that we lost. It was not a shitty blow out like recent games, Flames put up a fight (har har).

You keep using Scott as a comparative but it's not a fair one.Scott is one of the biggest goons in the league and purely a face puncher, and they had history. It's not the same as starting out a grinding 4th line with fighters. What do you think would have happened? He wasn't going to grab Sedin and start feeding him, lets be real. They would have just ignored them and played, when Torts through out the guys he did, everyone on the ice knew what it meant and that's why the fights broke out. Like I said though, I understand why he responded with his 4th line, and I don't blame him.

Smiley90

If anyone remembers Burrows making fun of Richards/Carter with putting ice on his stick and pretending it was blow, here's Burrows chirping at Shane O'Brian for his party-heavy past in Vancouver:

sLIH9BA.gif

That's some Vintage Burrows stuff right here. :lol

i think we know the answer to this already. And as Torts answered in kind we saw what happened. Had he not, who knows. You can say there is no guarantee, thats fine. But thats not conclusive and we will never know. I chose to give the benefit of the doubt as you chose not to. Either way it ended up being a pretty damn decent game. I don't even care that we lost. It was not a shitty blow out like recent games, Flames put up a fight (har har).

Agree.

I agree that they probably wouldn't have, but I can see why Torts doesn't want to take that risk. Agreed though, sad we don't have a rematch before the Olympic break.

Top Bottom