• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Penalty Minutes Flames: 101 Canucks: 103

TOI:

Dennis Wideman: 38:05
Dan Hamhuis: 36:12
T. Brodie: 35:42
M. Giordano: 33:32
C. Tanev: 33:02

Smiley90

Great PJ Stock is talking again.

:lol

"Westgarth took his 3rd faceoff of the entire season, so the Flames definitely seem like they wanted to start something and if Buffalo can get fined for it, so should they."

"THAT'S TORTORELLA'S FAULT FOR PUTTING THE 4TH LINE OUT THERE IN RESPONSE, THE FLAMES DIDN'T WANNA START SHIT"

... right.

Smiley90

I am patiently awaiting the Torts presser. We haven't seen Brooksie Torts yet.

EDIT: why do they keep interviewing Burrows, nobody can understand him anyway.

Smiley90

It's a good thing we got that pesky game out of the way.

I just saw this:

BDclKVp.jpg

Smiley90

They're the Sedins of media.

I'm completely apathetic towards the Sedins.

That joke stopped being funny a looong time ago.

Especially given that Henrik literally tried playing two periods through a broken finger and injured ribs before Torts forced him to stop playing.

Stasis

He's right though. That was some silly shit by the Flames and he responded to it appropriately. Good for him/them in not getting pushed around and then coming out with the win to boot.

I don't care if it's against "the lowly Flames" as their own fans are calling them, they tried some bush league bullshit that didn't work AND lost the game. That's just a double failure no matter how you look at it.

We all know any team can beat any other at a given time. It's one of the reasons the NHL is so much fun. Parity. Bottom of the barrel doesn't immediately have to mean "Goon Squad" for the fuck of it.

Smiley90

He's right though. That was some silly shit by the Flames and he responded to it appropriately. Good for him/them in not getting pushed around and then coming out with the win to boot.

I don't care if it's against "the lowly Flames" as their own fans are calling them, they tried some bush league bullshit that didn't work AND lost the game. That's just a double failure no matter how you look at it.

We all know any team can beat any other at a given time. It's one of the reasons the NHL is so much fun. Parity. Bottom of the barrel doesn't immediately have to mean "Goon Squad" for the fuck of it.

Agreed. PJ stock disagreeing with this just further shows that you're right.

Still though, Torts WAY overreacted by going into the Flames' hallway and will probably have to watch a couple games from the stands for it, which I'm okay with. Flames coach deserves to be fined though, similar to Buffalo.

Again, Westgarth had taken THREE faceoffs ALL SEASON before this game. C'mon. They fully knew what they were doing, and so did Torts, and with Henrik ALREADY being injured he couldn't risk anyone else getting injured. Bieksa even TRIED taking the faceoff instead of Lain so that Lain wouldn't have to fight in his first NHL game (great teamplay move by Bieksa right there), but then Westgarth just skated over to Lain and went at him after Bieksa more or less ignored him already. So then Lain had to step up and fight anyway.

Agreed. PJ stock disagreeing with this just further shows that you're right.

Still though, Torts WAY overreacted by going into the Flames' hallway and will probably have to watch a couple games from the stands for it, which I'm okay with. Flames coach deserves to be fined though, similar to Buffalo.

Again, Westgarth had taken THREE faceoffs ALL SEASON before this game. C'mon. They fully knew what they were doing, and so did Torts, and with Henrik ALREADY being injured he couldn't risk anyone else getting injured. Bieksa even TRIED taking the faceoff instead of Lain so that Lain wouldn't have to fight in his first NHL game (great teamplay move by Bieksa right there), but then Westgarth just skated over to Lain and went at him after Bieksa more or less ignored him already. So then Lain had to step up and fight anyway.

Westgarth was the one who took a run at Duchene too, hit from behind into the boards. AHLer who wants his mainstay in the lineup. He just might get it with the flames. Glad we don't share a division anymore.

Smiley90

Wait... was that the opening faceoff???

Flames put out their 4th line to start the game, with Westgarth taking the faceoff who'd taken 3 faceoffs all year.

Torts didn't wanna risk his 1st/2nd line players getting jumped so he put out his 4th line to start. Bieksa took the faceoff to protect Lain in his first NHL game. Then Westgarth jumped Bieksa (and later Lain) and shit went south.

Flames put out their 4th line to start the game, with Westgarth taking the faceoff who'd taken 3 faceoffs all year.

Torts didn't wanna risk his 1st/2nd line players getting jumped so he put out his 4th line to start. Bieksa took the faceoff to protect Lain in his first NHL game. Then Westgarth jumped Bieksa (and later Lain) and shit went south.

Wow, that's fucking hilarious. And to do that to someone like Torts, fucking LOL

Smiley90

Wow, that's fucking hilarious. And to do that to someone like Torts, fucking LOL

Yeah a guy like Torts isn't gonna back down from that :lol. Then Torts was FURIOUS for the entire period and ended up in the Flames' hallway after the first period to yell at the Flames' coaching staff.

Does anyone actually think if Torts played the Sedin's and Hanson on that first shift that somehow all the Flames on the ice would first be able to catch them and second would do anything to them?

"Hey their coach put out their tough guys, I'm going to put out mine!"

"What's with all the fighting? Whaaaaaaaaaa!"

Fucking clown.

Does anyone actually think if Torts played the Sedin's and Hanson on that first shift that somehow all the Flames on the ice would first be able to catch them and second would do anything to them?

Fucking clown.

It's not like Westgarth bearhugged a defenseman off the faceoff or anything.

Smiley90

Fucking clown.

Did you miss the whole Buffalo/Leafs incident? Sabres put Scott out there, Leafs tried to avoid a scrum by putting the Kessel line out. Then Scott jumped Kessel.

So yeah, Westgarth would've probably jumped Henrik/Kesler off the opening faceoff, and Henrik was already injured, so Torts didn't wanna put either of his top two centermen at risk. It's not like Westgarth even TRIED to take the faceoff.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
This will be a rally cry.

Memo to rest of NHL - We're done being pushed around.
Literally laughed out loud, good one man. This will be the day historians look back on as the turning point of the Canucks organization.

Top Bottom