• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

zedge

Does anyone actually think if Torts played the Sedin's and Hanson on that first shift that somehow all the Flames on the ice would first be able to catch them and second would do anything to them?

"Hey their coach put out their tough guys, I'm going to put out mine!"

"What's with all the fighting? Whaaaaaaaaaa!"

Fucking clown.

I don't get it. What do they think was going to happen? Flames are going to chase them down and beat the shit out of them? Ok..

What ever. So much damn whining going on. Same guys probably are all for fighting being in hockey but but talk out of their asses over this.

/nhlgaf

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Literally laughed out loud, good one man. This will be the day historians look back on as the turning point of the Canucks organization.

In more serious news:

Kellan Lain broke John Ferguson's 50yr old record tonight; fastest to fight from start of career. 2sec. Fergy was 12 vs Ted Green Oct8/63

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WE HAVE A RECORD.

yay. or so.

Does anyone actually think if Torts played the Sedin's and Hanson on that first shift that somehow all the Flames on the ice would first be able to catch them and second would do anything to them?

"Hey their coach put out their tough guys, I'm going to put out mine!"

"What's with all the fighting? Whaaaaaaaaaa!"

Fucking clown.

I don't get it. What do they think was going to happen? Flames are going to chase them down and beat the shit out of them? Ok..

What ever. So much damn whining going on. Same guys probably are all for fighting being in hockey but but talk out of their asses over this.

/nhlgaf
So how does it feel to have never watched hockey before in your life?

You people are more delusional than Tabris.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
In more serious news:

Kellan Lain broke John Ferguson's 50yr old record tonight; fastest to fight from start of career. 2sec. Fergy was 12 vs Ted Green Oct8/63

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO WE HAVE A RECORD.

yay. or so.
Bruins are going to be so pissed when they hear about this.

railGUN

Banned

/nhlgaf

Was their 4th line on fire or something? In what way is starting your "worst" players just so they can be circled and scored on, at all a good coaching move?

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Literally laughed out loud, good one man. This will be the day historians look back on as the turning point of the Canucks organization.
You mean beating a team that's 3rd worst in the NHL isn't a rallying cry?

Canucks to face the Red Wings in the Cup final because no team in the east can beat the mighty Red Wings! DESTINNNNNNNNNNY!!!!!!!!!

Smiley90

How many times have you seen 3 goons chase down 3 skilled players off the opening face off and injure them smart guy? It's never happened.

Torts has to be shocked at what happened though he's never been in this situ- oh wait..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIlLbJHKw8M

Did you miss the whole Buffalo/Leafs incident? Sabres put Scott out there, Leafs tried to avoid a scrum by putting the Kessel line out. Then Scott jumped Kessel.

So yeah, Westgarth would've probably jumped Henrik/Kesler off the opening faceoff, and Henrik was already injured, so Torts didn't wanna put either of his top two centermen at risk. It's not like Westgarth even TRIED to take the faceoff.

Feel free to keep ignoring my comment, though.

Again, Westgarth had taken 3 faceoffs this season before and didn't even TRY to take the faceoff against Bieksa. Torts didn't wanna risk him doing that to Henrik/Kesler, and you blame him for that? What reason is there for a coach to put his 4th goon line with Westgarth at the circle out if not to start shit?

How many times have you seen 3 goons chase down 3 skilled players off the opening face off and injure them smart guy? It's never happened.
Didn't look like Westgarth had much trouble with that.

q91TJH3.jpg

zedge

Was their 4th line on fire or something? In what way is starting your "worst" players just so they can be circled and scored on, at all a good coaching move?

I doubt there would have been a brawl if Torts did not put out his 4th. It would have likely occurred later when both lines were out at the same time. Seems Hartley baited him and he went for it.

Not as bad as you part-time hockey fans.

I was probably watching hockey when you were still in your Dads sack. Been to a stanley cup parade? Oh.. forgot your a Canuck fan. Well I have.

Smiley90

I doubt there would have been a brawl if Torts did not put out his 4th. It would have likely occurred later when both lines were out at the same time. Seems Hartley baited him and he went for it.

Hartley wanted to start shit and Torts didn't want to take the risk that Henrik got even more injured/Kesler would get jumped like Kessel by Scott. That's why he responded with his 4th line. Torts isn't gonna risk his top players get injured.

Acid08

Banned

/nhlgaf
Come oooooooooooon. There's a difference between regular fighting and what happened at the beginning of this game. Those players were obviously out there to start shit right away.

Smiley90

ImportantDevotedArcticfox.gif

#FlamesHockey

You can see Bieksa taking the faceoff so Lain wouldn't have to fight, then Lain skates around leisurely until Westgarth (seemingly sad that Bieksa protected Lain) just grabs him (after the zoom on Sestito fighting) and starts shit.

Sad his first game had to end like this. But oh well, he did fairly well in the fight.

Acid08

Banned
And I was saying if Torts did not bite it likely would not have. Takes two to tango.

Every game, all the time.
Dude Bieksa literally got jumped right off of the faceoff. You think if it was Sedin it would have made a difference? That shit was happening no matter who Torts sent out.

railGUN

Banned
And I was saying if Torts did not bite it likely would not have. Takes two to tango.

Every game, all the time.

That's a pretty expensive gamble. Especially when you can do what you're supposed to do in that situation, which is exactly what he did.

I saw a lot more blood on the Flames in the box than the Canucks.

I can't remember the last time Torts started the 4th line.

Smiley90

Dude Bieksa literally got jumped right off of the faceoff. You think if it was Sedin it would have made a difference? That shit was happening no matter who Torts sent out.

I don't understand how people can say "nothing would've happened if Torts didn't respond" when

a) That's a mighty high risk to take for Torts
b) IT ALREADY HAPPENED THIS SEASON when Scott jumped Kessel when Carlyle chose NOT to line-match
c) Westgarth is a RW with no faceoff experience, not even a TRY to win that faceoff
d) he jumped Bieksa right off the faceoff, and later Lain, he didn't try anything to start this game by playing.

*Disclaimer, by people I mean Flames-GAF and PJ Stock.

zedge

I think it would have played out differently. I doubt Wesgarth would have jumped a Sedin. If he did there would have been an even bigger brawl going on.

Smiley90

I think it would have played out differently. I doubt Wesgarth would have jumped a Sedin. If he did there would have been an even bigger brawl going on.

Even bigger than everyone? With the new 10game suspensions for jumping the bench it wouldn't even have been reasonably possible for Torts/our players to respond without ruining their playing season.

Yeah cause the guy would never take a run at a skill player by maybe running them into the boards or something. Totally trustworthy. I hear he just wanted to work on his faceoffs tonight.

Everyone citing Scott going after Kessel has conveniently forgot that Scott was going after him because of another unmatched fight earlier that game.

If Canucks fans really think that our three guys would have really immediately dropped the gloves against 3 little Swedes then more power to you but you have no idea what you're talking about.

At least the coach is a good reflection of
The fans in Vancouver.

Smiley90

Everyone citing Scott going after Kessel has conveniently forgot that Scott was going after him because of another unmatched fight earlier that game.

If Canucks fans really think that our three guys would have really immediately dropped the gloves against 3 little Swedes then more power to you but you have no idea what you're talking about.

The fans in Vancouver.

So if you're Torts, what do you do? Do you send your top guys out there against a guy (and his line) who's obviously not out there to take a faceoff and who's taken illegal runs at skilled players before?

C'mon PJ Stock.

Acid08

Banned

The fans in Vancouver.
You're being so naive about this. They were out there to do one thing: fight. And if the trade-off was Wesgarth for a Sedin then it's in the Flames' favor for that entire game. Hartley wanted that but didn't get it.

railGUN

Banned
Calgary felt bad for Vancouver, wanted to give us a head start on the game.

"Here, you start your best guys, we'll start our goons and let you get a quick one. We're near the bottom of the west, we don't need the points."

Torts fucked this up, went to apologize for the oversight between periods Huge misunderstanding.

I remember when the Canucks used to manhandle the Flames with Sedin wizardry and with the greatest of ease. All while the Flames quietly got depressed and sulked off to the dressing room.

And c'mon, it's not like they got BETTER this year.

So if you're Torts, what do you do? Do you send your top guys out there against a guy (and his line) who's obviously not out there to take a faceoff and who's taken illegal runs at skilled players before?

C'mon PJ Stock.

Play a scoring line and try to take advantage and score? If Calgary takes a penalty then go on the pp?

He decided to play his fighters, fights break out then he bitches about it.

Calgary felt bad for Vancouver, wanted to give us a head start on the game.

"Here, you start your best guys, we'll start our goons and let you get a quick one. We're near the bottom of the west, we don't need the points."

Apparently that's what they do over there in Calgary where everyone is a saint and no one plays dirty as fuck.

Smiley90

Play a scoring line and try to take advantage and score? If Calgary takes a penalty then go on the pp?

He decided to play his fighters, fights break out then he bitches about it.

You're completely ignoring my argument. Do you want to risk your top players getting jumped and injured by a guy that's shown to previously have taken runs at other team's players and who's obviously not out there to take a faceoff? No, you're gonna protect your players.

He didn't bitch about the fight that happened. He bitched about Hartley starting his fourth line with no intention of starting the game properly.

So hes willingly going to injure a player and get suspended again? Good plan, I'm sure Hartley said he'll cover the fine and lost wages for him..
Because no NHL player in the history of the league has ever had multiple repeat offenses.

You're giving a fringe NHL knuckle-beater a lot of credit for intelligence he probably doesn't at all have.

After all is said and done I'm glad Hartley's master plan to murder all of Vancouvers skill players was discovered by Torts and you super sleuths. Could have been bad karma.

Good night you whiney babies.

Smiley90

To top it all off, here's Giordano's hilarious embellishment penalty from tonight. Sorry for the yellow tint, I think f.lux fucked with it, not sure.

i6YesZCETt7bl.gif

Top Bottom