• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

kingslunk

when i feel earthquake, my hand automatically go to the dick. i stroke the dick and feel i have sex with the earth. all becoming calm.

0007_lyu8.gif

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
These guys look SO exhausted already. You can see they don't have the endurance that NHL players have yet.

edit: we're done!

fallout

Congrats Suomi!

Damn Scheifele almost tied it there.

Brutal road trip stretch over, Jets could have stole a point or two today but passive defense does them in. At least Kane/Trouba/Scheifele looked good
I find myself saying "if only they could put together a good road trip/home stand" a lot. Little stretches of brilliance followed by long bouts of ugliness.

pringles

Finns deserved to win it, they were the better team this game. Swedes looked nervous and didn't play the way they did earlier in the tournament.

Kifimbo

Next year groups:

A (in Montreal) - Canada, USA, Finland, Slovakia, Germany,
B (in Toronto) - Sweden, Russia, Czech, Switzerland, Denmark

Smiley90

Cherry on Team Canada:

“I’m going to tell you why we lose,” Cherry said, on Saturday. “It’s politically correct, as far as I’m concerned … OHL has nine guys, 41% … of the players on the team … It is politically correct, I’m telling you right now, we can’t take too many from Ontario. I’m not blaming the players, I’m not blaming [head coach] Brent [Sutter],” Cherry said on Saturday. “I’m telling you, it’s Hockey Canada. Should smarten up and get the best players and work at not being political.”

ZeroGravity

Cherry on Team Canada:

“I’m going to tell you why we lose,” Cherry said, on Saturday. “It’s politically correct, as far as I’m concerned … OHL has nine guys, 41% … of the players on the team … It is politically correct, I’m telling you right now, we can’t take too many from Ontario. I’m not blaming the players, I’m not blaming [head coach] Brent [Sutter],” Cherry said on Saturday. “I’m telling you, it’s Hockey Canada. Should smarten up and get the best players and work at not being political.”
So he criticizes Team Canada for having too many players from Ontario, but criticizes the Leafs for having too few?

zedge

So he criticizes Team Canada for having too many players from Ontario, but criticizes the Leafs for having too few?
Makes sense to me. Leafs <> Canada
A Canadian team should be represented from all over the country. Who cares whos on the leafs. :p

Off to the Hitmen game tonight. Seattle in town. Fancy seats too.

calder

Cherry on Team Canada:

Like a crazy, racist old stopped clock being right twice a day, he's definitely correct that Hockey Canada doesn't consistently take the best players available for the WjCs. HC does an oddly bad job of scouting players and seems to place way, way too much stock in players who have deep playoff runs or fit a "role", it's the thing that scares me about the Sochi roster. If I hear Stevie Y say the words "checking line" or "will supply grit and heart" I'll weep.

calder

@TSNBobMcKenzie: I'm going to make educated guesses on CDN Olympic team roster. Not who I think should be there, simply who I think will be named. Here goes:

Goal: Price, Luongo, Smith.

LD: Keith, Bouwmeester, Vlasic, Hamhuis.
RD: Doughty, Weber, Pietrangelo, Subban.

C: Crosby, Toews, Tavares, Getzlaf, Bergeron.

LW: Couture, Benn, Duchene, Sharp.

RW: Stamkos, Giroux, Nash, Perry, St. Louis.

I would consider this about as good as possible. Not seeing any huge problems but I'll have to study deeper... who's missing?

@TSNBobMcKenzie: The forwards I believe have the best chance of displacing someone on that projection are: Marleau and/or Kunitz on LW; Carter on RW.

ZeroGravity

I would consider this about as good as possible. Not seeing any huge problems but I'll have to study deeper... who's missing?
I think that's probably the line-up that people would have the least issue with. Joe Thornton would probably be the guy who'd be the best argument to make the team, but Canada just has too many centers as it is.

Wouldn't surprise me if Kunitz still ends up on the team though.

calder

I would be fine with Carter, Seabrook, Kunitz, Staal, Boyle etc not making it. I like them all but wouldn't remove anyone to make room for them.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Dat Canadian center depth. US's first line center wouldn't even make it as Canada's 5 line C. I'd like to see Thorton make the team in some capacity, the larger ice would be his playground.

Smiley90

Dat Canadian center depth. US's first line center wouldn't even make it as Canada's 5 line C. I'd like to see Thorton make the team in some capacity, the larger ice would be his playground.

I'd probably take Kesler over Bergeron, but I see your point.

Samyy

I'd rather have Bergeron, can't get a better two-way center besides Datsyuk and Toews.
He is also incredibly clutch and can go beast mode in the playoffs.

Smiley90

I'd rather have Bergeron, can't get a better two-way center besides Datsyuk and Toews.
He is also incredibly clutch and can go beast mode in the playoffs.

You do realize that's Kesler's nickname, right?

But like I said, I understand where you're coming from, I'm fairly biased in picking Kesler over Bergeron. It's not like I'm saying i'm correct here, it's just what I'd do. I see how good of a 2way forward Kesler is on a regular basis, and he does have a Selke.

calder

I'd probably take Kesler over Bergeron, but I see your point.

How do I forward a forum post to Canada Border Services? After such a ridiculous display I want to make sure Smelly gets the full cavity search he deserves when he tries to fly back through Toronto after his trip home.

Red_Man

That's a ridiculous amount of bias coming from you Smelly, I'm disappointed.

How do I forward a forum post to Canada Border Services? After such a ridiculous display I want to make sure Smelly gets the full cavity search he deserves when he tries to fly back through Toronto after his trip home.
:lol :lol

Smiley90

That's a ridiculous amount of bias coming from you Smelly, I'm disappointed.

:lol :lol

At least I admit I'm biased!

Can we at least agree that Nashville 2011 Kesler would be picked over Bergeron?

You, I don't like you.

Red_Man

At least I admit I'm biased!

Can we at least agree that Nashville 2011 Kesler would be picked over Bergeron?
No, sorry man. This is coming from the biggest Bruins hater here too. Specifiically with the roles they would be competing for, it's not even close for me.

calder

I didn't mind it too much when the "shutdown line" from 2010 consisted of Nash, Toews and Mike Richards.
Totally, I just want to make sure no one has forgotten the lessons of Rob Zamuner. Talent should win out over role and perceived suitability for slots (cough Bobby Ryan cough), just because the fourth line on an NHL team is full of lugs who can't score doesn't mean you need a few for a team like this. Pay attention to how well guys kill penalties or what hand they shoot with sure, but remember how Toews/Nash/Richards just *destroyed* the Russians in Vancouver - because they were top line talent able to back check not checkers on a normal NHL roster.

Probably once a month I go back to my PVR and watch the Nash goal against Russia. So fucking awesome, that whole period was just bliss.

Top Bottom