• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Yeah 2010 Peter Regin Pittsburgh > Bergeron.

nm87RL8.gif

This gif is glorious

Totally, I just want to make sure no one has forgotten the lessons of Rob Zamuner. Talent should win out over role and perceived suitability for slots (cough Bobby Ryan cough), just because the fourth line on an NHL team is full of lugs who can't score doesn't mean you need a few for a team like this. Pay attention to how well guys kill penalties or what hand they shoot with sure, but remember how Toews/Nash/Richards just *destroyed* the Russians in Vancouver - because they were top line talent able to back check not checkers on a normal NHL roster.

Probably once a month I go back to my PVR and watch the Nash goal against Russia. So fucking awesome, that whole period was just bliss.
This is however kind of extreme for team Canada and cant as easy be used on other teams. Most of the other teams arent as deep on offence, hence the offensive threats they have must be on the top lines and therefore you might end up with choosing between a good offensive threat(who has no defensive threat) and a player fit for a checking line, when you are looking for a player to fit in the fourth line. Take Z for example, he would be godly in a fourth line role in a national team. His two way game is great. But in Sweden we will probably need him in a top line, and therefor we will have to fill our fourth line with other players and then I will rather have guys who can keep the puck from our net(while we leave the scoring to our top line) then offensive threats.

It is easy to say that you should have talent on all lines when you have selke winners with offensive talent over after you filled your top 2(or 3) lines with players that score a lot of points :)

The Bobby Ryan situation is kind of similar, if he was a LW I would argue that you could have moved Parise down in the pecking order, to allow him on a top line. But with Kane, Kessel and Ryan on RW, it is kind of hard to see which one of them that can take a big enough responsibility to play against superstars to kill time when needed. (Maybe it is possible to switch them around and squeeze in Ryan on a top line somehow, I havent really thought it through, just comparing how much harder it is compared to canada where you can just throw down a random great two way player cause of your deep pool of talent:))

Quick

Banned
How do I forward a forum post to Canada Border Services? After such a ridiculous display I want to make sure Smelly gets the full cavity search he deserves when he tries to fly back through Toronto after his trip home.

WHADDYA EXPECT FROM A SWEDE? PROBABLY EATIN' MEATBALLS TAINTED WITH STALIN'S IDEALS AN' WHATNOT, EH.

Curufinwe

According to this:

http://www.sportingnews.com/nhl/sto...le-flyers-us-olympic-hockey-team-roster-snubs

Philly could have had Yandle for JVR, but choose Schenn instead. So much wow.

This is what the only good Flyers writer had to say at the time.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=45992

During draft weekend, it is believed that the Flyers inquired to Phoenix about the availability of All-Star defenseman Keith Yandle. Unfortunately for Philadelphia, the price tag was believed to be in the same ballpark of what Nashville wanted (pre-offer sheet) for Shea Weber: a combination of Sean Couturier, James van Riemsdyk or Brayden Schenn and more. The astronomical price tag is likely why the Yandle rumors died down in a hurry and the Flyers decided to make the one-for-one van Riemsdyk for Luke Schenn deal the next day.

none of those conditions are happening

They're not getting three top prospects and an unconditional 2014 1st for Miller. If they want quality prospects, drop the number. Who else is even in the market for a rental goaltender?

Otherwise you better hope he resigns or another team hires Jay Feaster as their GM.

They're not getting three top prospects and an unconditional 2014 1st for Miller. If they want quality prospects, drop the number. Who else is even in the market for a rental goaltender?

Otherwise you better hope he resigns or another team hires Jay Feaster as their GM.

I don't think they'll get that either. But the notion of a "protected" 1st and no prospects of value is ludicrous.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm spending Sunday reading up on how to properly decapitate mice.

It's a fun Sunday, that's for sure.

I don't think they'll get that either. But the notion of a "protected" 1st and no prospects of value is ludicrous.

I just don't see us going realistically a lot further than the Bouwmeester trade with slightly higher quality prospect(s). Armstrong's too stingy to not hold out on conditions, quality/quantity of prospects or both.

Without a major contending goaltender going down, any other team would just wait him out until UFA.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yea, the idea of being able to pawn off meh prospects in a deal for Miller when Buffalo is in full rebuild is laughable.

Why can't I find my backpack? Crap, I need to buy a new backpack.
I lose more backpacks then anything else. I don't understand why.

Fei

That's the problem with moving a goalie. Low demand. It's really hard to gauge Miller's value because it's very high for teams like STL but pretty minimal for many others. I went into the year thinking they should get a 1st in return for Miller. That's likely gone up based on his stellar play.

Yea, the idea of being able to pawn off meh prospects in a deal for Miller when Buffalo is in full rebuild is laughable.

1st and 3 Prospects was the latest guess/rumor. 3 amazing prospects and a 1st isn't happening. So either fewer prospects of higher quality or the 3 look like the prospects that went in the Bouwmeester trade.

That's the problem with moving a goalie. Low demand. It's really hard to gauge Miller's value because it's very high for teams like STL but pretty minimal for many others. I went into the year thinking they should get a 1st in return for Miller. That's likely gone up based on his stellar play.

The problem for us is going to be finding somewhere for Halak to spend the rest of the year not counting against our cap hit.

I just don't see us going realistically a lot further than the Bouwmeester trade with slightly higher quality prospect(s). Armstrong's too stingy to not hold out on conditions, quality/quantity of prospects or both.

Without a major contending goaltender going down, any other team would just wait him out until UFA.

Then you won't get him, I think it's pretty simple. With the new management, he might even want to stay. Miller isn't getting a 1st and 3 prospects, but a 1st and a very good prospect/young roster player? If you want Miller that's what you'll pay.

Then you won't get him, I think it's pretty simple. With the new management, he might even want to stay. Miller isn't getting a 1st and 3 prospects, but a 1st and a very good prospect/young roster player? If you want Miller that's what you'll pay.

I think you're confusing me responding to the rumor of a 1st and 3 prospects with me proposing a 1st and 3 low/middle tier prospects.

Anyway, the bottom line is that there's not really much in the way of a market for Miller. He would most certainly improve STL's situation in goal provided that they had a home for Halak. Otherwise, you bet everything on resigning him or that a major goaltender goes down in the next several weeks / Olympics and someone is desperate enough to offer more than a 1st and not-outstanding A+ prospect for a rental goaltender with a NTC.

Top Bottom