• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
I think Lucic should have made it over Nash. He's a much better player at this point in time IMO.

And I still can't believe Kunitz made the team. It's painfully obvious to everyone that he's the beneficiary of playing beside Crosby, with Crosby being a player who can develop chemistry with any hockey player on the earth.

Entropia

No One Remembers
I don't think anyone's too surprised by Staal's absence. Hasn't had a great season and he's a center in a country with many amazing centers. Got bumped by wingers.

I think he's also struggled with injuries?

He had the incident this summer at the World Championships (playing for Team Canada!) with the knee-on-knee from Edler. Though much like Nash, Staal is a "Team Canada" guy, so that's why I'm surprised he wasn't chosen.

He didn't exactly play himself off the team like Ward did (though he really did have injury issues).

calder

Giroux and Nash are good examples of the simple fact that being hurt for a month is a LOT better than just sucking ass for a month during the selection process.

Kunitz is a good penalty killer, will throw his body around and knows how to play with skilled players. His best year was the year he was on a line with Malkin and Neal while Crosby was injured. Not saying he should have made it but I can see why. He's a role player that can score.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Listening to Yzerman, I think affirmative action got Subban on the team. "He shoots the puck", let me talk about something else

calder

Unless one of the other two suck ass. In which case we are fuuuuucked.

You realize the third goalie is not the backup right? This isn't an 82 game season, this is a short tournament. Mike Smith, along with Rick Nash and one other guy, is likely to watch the entire tournament in a suit and tie. :p

So here's Russia:

Sergei Bobrovsky
Semyon Varlamov
Alexander Yeryomenko

Anton Belov
Alexei Emelin
Andrei Markov
Yevgeni Medvedev
Nikita Nikitin
Ilya Nikulin
Fedor Tyutin
Slava Voynov

Artem Anisimov
Pavel Datsyuk
Denis Kokarev
Ilya Kovalchuk
Nikolai Kulemin
Evgeni Malkin
Valeri Nichushkin
Alexander Ovechkin
Andrei Popov
Alexander Radulov
Vladimir Tarasenko
Alexei Tereschenko
Viktor Tikhonov

Solid team, surprised no Semin.

You realize the third goalie is not the backup right? This isn't an 82 game season, this is a short tournament. Mike Smith, along with Rick Nash and one other guy, is likely to watch the entire tournament in a suit and tie. :p

No shit. But you also need to be careful in case of injury or lack of performance. Not sure Smith could be that guy if it came to that. We saw how quickly Brodeur was replaced in 2010.

So here's Russia:

Sergei Bobrovsky
Semyon Varlamov
Alexander Yeryomenko

Anton Belov
Alexei Emelin
Andrei Markov
Yevgeni Medvedev
Nikita Nikitin
Ilya Nikulin
Fedor Tyutin
Slava Voynov

Artem Anisimov
Pavel Datsyuk
Denis Kokarev
Ilya Kovalchuk
Nikolai Kulemin
Evgeni Malkin
Valeri Nichushkin
Alexander Ovechkin
Andrei Popov
Alexander Radulov
Vladimir Tarasenko
Alexei Tereschenko
Viktor Tikhonov

Solid team, surprised no Semin.

I hope Kulemin makinh the team makes him play better for the Leafs. I mean he's been solid already but maybe we can get that 30 goal scorer out of him.

calder

No shit. But you also need to be careful in case of injury or lack of performance. Not sure Smith could be that guy.

But why are you saying if one of the top 2 is bad Canada is fucked? Because Smith is the third goalie, not the backup. :p

Besides, if Price is bad for a couple of games and gets replaced and then Luongo shits the bed then guess what, tournaments already over.

But why are you saying if one of the top 2 is bad Canada is fucked? Because Smith is the third goalie, not the backup. :p

Besides, if Price is bad for a couple of games and gets replaced and then Luongo shits the bed then guess what, tournaments already over.

I meant to say both. If both Price and Luongo get hurt or can't perform, it would come to Smith. There are enough games for that situation to occur. Is it likely to happen? No. But Smith is a strange choice. But I digress.

LevelNth

Banned
Kuni / Sid / Stammer
Sharp / Toews / Tavares
Perry / Getz / Duchene
Benn / Bergy / Marleau
--
Carter / Nash

Keith / Webs
Piets / Bou
MEV / Drew
--
PK / Ham Ham

Lu / Carebear / Smith

PP1: Tavares / Sid / Stammer / Keith / PK
PP2: Perry / Getz / Toews / Piets / Drew

I think we're doing ok boys.

fallout

Holy shit at the negative hyperbole in this thread. I don't agree with all of it, but some of the reactions in here are pretty over the top.

Giroux and Nash are good examples of the simple fact that being hurt for a month is a LOT better than just sucking ass for a month during the selection process.
I see a lot of people complaining about Nash's points, but he missed over a month with a concussion. His PPG is a bit concerning, but he's played well since coming back.

calder

I wish they could put together a team of all the Canadian snubs, and have them actually beat the main roster.

That... would actually never happen lol. There's half a really solid team left over, but let's not go crazy. ;)

The whole "canada could field two teams that would challenge for gold" was always an exaggeration imo. Canada can field one great team and then have a pretty solid B team that could hypothetically, with a bit of luck, give Finland a scare in the quarter finals.

I'm glad about no Hedman (he's been bad for Team Sweden and isn't as good on big ice) and no Lehner makes sense but I'm disappointed Zibby didn't make it. Kruger is meh.

Roster and my speculation on lines beyond the confirmed center positions:

Sedin-Sedin-Steen
Zetterberg-Backstrom-Eriksson
Franzen-Berglund-Alfredsson
Landeskog-Kruger-Hagelin
Silfverberg, Jimmie Ericsson

Karlsson - Ekman-Larsson
Kronwall-Ericsson
Hjalmarsson-Oduya
Tallinder, Edler

Lundqvist
Enroth
Gustavsson

6 of those players are on one team, ONE!!!

And yet we still suck, not even an olympic roster can save us. :/

Cat Party

That... would actually never happen lol. There's half a really solid team left over, but let's not go crazy. ;)

The whole "canada could field two teams that would challenge for gold" was always an exaggeration imo. Canada can field one great team and then have a pretty solid B team that could hypothetically, with a bit of luck, give Finland a scare in the quarter finals.
Canada could ice the two best groups of forwards. Goalies and defense is a different story.

ZeroGravity

Probably not, but when Switzerland can take Team Canada's A team to a shootout, it's really not that far-fetched.

if they tried to make 2 even teams, Both would be favourites

Canada could ice the two best groups of forwards. Goalies and defense is a different story.
Nah, i would say that centers and D are their deepest positions.

Top Bottom