• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Andrew Gross ‏@AGrossRecord 18m
The Blackhawks (29-7-9) are 15-2-6 at home and have seven players with at least 31 points. Mats Zuccarello leads the Rangers with 30 points.

Ha.

MacKinnon is going to play vs Ottawa, so his X-rays must have been negative and O'reilly has a shoulder injury that is day-to-day so hopefully that's not too bad.

pringles

Meszaros must be hoping to catch the attention of some KHL clubs at the Olympics.

I think Hedman is the biggest snub of all.
Hedman is really, really not. A lot of people didn't want him on the team. Big ice, his past national team performances, and the option of having other more established pairings all work against him. St Louis, Giroux, Hudler and even Semin are way bigger snubs.

Merguson

Banned
Hedman is really, really not. A lot of people didn't want him on the team. Big ice, his past national team performances, and the option of having other more established pairings all work against him. St Louis, Giroux, Hudler and even Semin are way bigger snubs.
Its a pretty shitty excuse considering his age at the time and his development into a solid defenseman.

I would give him a chance.

Adam Vingan ‏@AdamVingan 8m
The #Caps have three Olympians (8. 19, 74). Only four teams have fewer (CGY, FLA, NSH, OTT all have two).

McPhee pls

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't see it. I think its Price's job to lose. Especially with Lou coming off an injury.

Luongo won gold in 2010. If he comes back from his injury the way he played against LA (also after the injury) he'll start. It's HIS job to lose, either by poor play before or during the Olympics.

calder

I don't see it. I think its Price's job to lose. Especially with Lou coming off an injury.

I agree. I think Price gets game 1, Lou gets the second or third round robin start, and then unless Price got lit up he is back in net for the next round on.

Luongo won gold in 2010. If he comes back from his injury the way he played against LA (also after the injury) he'll start. It's HIS job to lose, either by poor play before or during the Olympics.

He was shaky as fuck in that gold game though. It probably wouldn't have gone to overtime if another goalie was in for Canada.

I do. It's like with Fantasy hockey. Ovi is on my team. I still want the caps to lose every game, but I want them to lose 5-4 while Ovi gets a hat trick.

I never have that problem either. I always cheer for the team with the most Flyers, then America. If it's an equal number then I go by the players I like more, then default to America if it's close.

At the end of the day I'm more loyal to the orange and black than red, white, and blue.

Though I'll likely spend a good deal of time these Olympics cheering for the USA now :'(

Socreges

Banned
Honestly I think there's an argument to be made either way. If Luongo is healthy and back in form by late January, though, I'm certain he'll start Game 1. Short leash, like before, as much as they want to go with one goalie throughout.

yyzjohn

Banned
The Price is wrong, bitch.

Seriously though if Price plays like he does in the playoffs it'll be bad for Canada. There's already questions about Luongo in big games and like mentioned before he was shaky in the gold medal game 4 years ago.

He was shaky as fuck in that gold game though. It probably wouldn't have gone to overtime if another goalie was in for Canada.

Didn't he make a massive save of a Niedermayer giveaway in overtime just before Crosby scored?

Also remember that Miller played lights-out and then gave up a weak five-hole goal.

If Crawford hadn't gotten hurt he'd be on the team. Smith has international experience.

No one was pegging him to make the team for some reason though. It was basically Smith since the season started. Crawford deserved to make the team, but people are always overlooking him. They still do, even after winning the Cup.

Acid08

Banned
Canada looks good, if you can't win with that team then :lol. Nash and Carter are head scratchers though.

I feel really bad for Couture, he would have been a lock if not for that injury. Glad that Jumbo and Boyle get a couple weeks rest.

All that said YEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHH PICKLES AND MARLEAU!!!!!!!

Sharks Olympians:
Niemi
Vlasic
Marleau
Pavelski

And I think Couture and Hertl would have made their teams if not for injuries.

Heretic

:'(

Saku Koivu: "We discussed this matter with the coaching staff several times in the last weeks. The five-week break I had to take from playing due to concussion and the little training I was able to do in those weeks has led to the fact that my physical conditioning is not at the level I would like it to be, in order to go represent Finland in the Olympics against top players in the world. The dream and realism are in contrast in my mind. I would bestow that a better prepared player play in my place"

More Luongo tire-pumping:

4 years is a long time. Let's not forget:
-The 2011 run. His Game 7 performance against Chicago, Game 5 overtime vs. San Jose, and his two shutouts vs. Boston in the finals.
-Losing his starting job to Schneider
-Regaining the starting job after Schneider was traded

He's definitely matured a lot since then and he's still one of the game's best.

That being said if Price plays better I'd have no problem with starting him.

Socreges

Banned
Seriously though if Price plays like he does in the playoffs it'll be bad for Canada. There's already questions about Luongo in big games and like mentioned before he was shaky in the gold medal game 4 years ago.
Not sure exactly how this narrative ever started, but I guess I can understand why it caught on (Luongo has always been divisive). Anyway, he had a 940 sv% in the Gold medal game. Lots of big stops. He wasn't the one who let in a questionable goal in OT from a bad angle.

yyzjohn

Banned
Not sure exactly how this narrative ever started, but I guess I can understand why it caught on (Luongo has always been divisive). Anyway, he had a 940 sv% in the Gold medal game. Lots of big stops. He wasn't the one who let in a questionable goal in OT from a bad angle.

Well, he was the one who let in a shaky tying goal with under 25 seconds in the 3rd.

Top Bottom