• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Curufinwe

Hedman is really, really not. A lot of people didn't want him on the team. Big ice, his past national team performances, and the option of having other more established pairings all work against him. St Louis, Giroux, Hudler and even Semin are way bigger snubs.

But the Swedes are taking Tallinder ahead of him.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I didn't see the game last night......how did AGally break his hand?

Missed a hit, slammed into the boards awkwardly.

I think Luongo gets the number one start, but with a short leash. A lot can change between now and the Olympics too though.

Mike Smith over Crawford, Hamhuis over Seabrook and Nash over St. Louis are all horrible decisions.

I can't fucking get over St. Louis being shafted AGAIN. Ruined my day. Fucking Nash and Marleau and Kunitz over the reigning Art Ross winner. And he'd play with a fire under his ass and might even have gotten to play with Stamkos. I'm pissed.

Delryk

Skinner with 16 goals since December 3rd? Jesus. Team B, mother fuckers

Team C, D and E could still compete against any Olympic teams. Thats how stacked Canada is. I think its just a matter of finding a combo/chemistry that works on a team as quick as possible. Only reason why Kunitz made the team. Heh

RC

Banned
I can't fucking get over St. Louis being shafted AGAIN. Ruined my day. Fucking Nash and Marleau and Kunitz over the reigning Art Ross winner. And he'd play with a fire under his ass and might even have gotten to play with Stamkos. I'm pissed.

St. Louis not being there won't cost us the gold. But he'd sure as hell would contribute more than Nash.

Marvie_3

Banned
Chris Kuc ‏@ChrisKuc 1m
#Blackhawks goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin should be able to return to action in four to five months.
ibiZ6XWrlu5FZi.gif

ZeroGravity

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun 2m
I'd say if Stamkos can't play in Sochi, Claude Giroux and James Neal top options at this point as possible replacements for him...
Fuck you again Yzerman.

I feel like he wanted to be unbiased and put the decision in the hands of the rest of management, which makes this all the more maddening. Fucking stand up for the guy. You know how much St. Louis carries and leads his team on a nightly basis. You see it better than anyone else.

Wow! My toga is still in pristine condition.

Nash and Carter were unexpected, but both have Olympic experience and fill a required role in the roster. There have been far worse selections in the past (Zamuner, Corson, Draper).

I like the inclusion of Benn, Hamhuis and Duchene, even if they're just there to fill in the numbers.

Why is Weise out? Or did Torts just like him less than Ferriero?

God damn we're icing a team full of scrubs.

Pretty much been this way all year. Sedins and Kesler are going to play 25 minutes each, 4th line will get 2 shifts in the first period, and Lack will probably face 40 shots.

Just hope that no one gets hurt.

Fei

Different roles. Tallinder is apparently a really awesome guy to have in the lockerroom etc. and probably accepts little/no ice-time better than Hedman.

Tallinder is an awesome guy. But he's not that good at playing hockey anymore.

First blizzard in Buffalo in 20 years. It's insane out there.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Pretty much been this way all year. Sedins and Kesler are going to play 25 minutes each, 4th line will get 2 shifts in the first period, and Lack will probably face 40 shots.

Just hope that no one gets hurt.

The real question is if Hamhuis is gonna play 29 minutes or more than 30

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Seeing Keith and Subban on the first pairing would make my face melt off. Too bad it'll never happen.

Honestly I think there's an argument to be made either way. If Luongo is healthy and back in form by late January, though, I'm certain he'll start Game 1. Short leash, like before, as much as they want to go with one goalie throughout.
Lu will get the first start because he's the returning gold winning goaltender. I'm expecting Price to get game 2 or something like that, then they go with whoever they're most comfortable with. That being said, I believe it was MacKenzie who said a while ago that management wants Price to take the job and run with it. I'm not worried either way, especially with that defence.

Heretic

Seeing Keith and Subban on the first pairing would make my face melt off. Too bad it'll never happen.

Lu will get the first start because he's the returning gold winning goaltender. I'm expecting Price to get game 2 or something like that, then they go with whoever they're most comfortable with. That being said, I believe it was MacKenzie who said a while ago that management wants Price to take the job and run with it. I'm not worried either way, especially with that defence.

Doesn't matter who is in it, to be honest. USA is gonna run wild on ALLLLL their candy asses!

Parch

Seems like Canadian management were really reluctant to put players out of position. Better to bring Hamhuis instead of having a right defence playing on the wrong side.

Yzerman telling St. Louis that he didn't make the team had to be awkward. Nash and Kunitz instead? No Seabrook, Boyle, or Giroux? I don't know. Canada's B Team could medal.

Let the second guessing begin, but Team Canada will always be judged by the results. Win gold and management are genius. Fail to win gold and they're idiots.

This article from a month ago about the rise of Swedish and Finnish goalies is really interesting, particularly the graphs on page 2.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/the-decline-of-canadas-goalies/article15786050/?paged=1

Thank you so much for posting this, a great read for a former Swedish goalkeeper!

I think that what actually opened the icehockey federations eyes to the fantastic development in Finland wasnt just that they ha a fair amount of starters in the NHL when we struggled to get one(even though we a hockey nation of the same size), but rather they flooded our national league with goaltenders in around the millenium. Kiprusoff, Korhonen, Wallinheimo, Kimmo Kapanen and Norrena are just a few, they where everywhere.

Razorskin

----- ------
Heretic, give the odds of USA winning gold. Break the math down ;)
Normally if you go one-on-one with another team you have a fifty-fifty chance of winning. But Phil Kessel's a genetic freak, and not normal. You've got a 25%, at best, of beating team USA. And then you add in JVR to the mix, your chances of winning drastically go down. See, the semifinals, at Sochi, you have a 25% chance of winning Gold, but team USA has a 50% chance of winning, cause those European know they can't beat them, and they're not even gonna try. So Canada, you take your 25% chance, minus USA's 50% chance, and you've got an -25% chance of winning at Sochi. But then you take USA's 75% chance of winning, if they were to go one-on-one, and then add 50 percent, USA has 125 percent chance of winning at Sochi. You see Canada, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sochi

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Normally if you go one-on-one with another team you have a fifty-fifty chance of winning. But Phil Kessel's a genetic freak, and not normal. You've got a 25%, at best, of beating team USA. And then you add in JVR to the mix, your chances of winning drastically go down. See, the semifinals, at Sochi, you have a 25% chance of winning Gold, but team USA has a 50% chance of winning, cause those European know they can't beat them, and they're not even gonna try. So Canada, you take your 25% chance, minus USA's 50% chance, and you've got an -25% chance of winning at Sochi. But then you take USA's 75% chance of winning, if they were to go one-on-one, and then add 50 percent, USA has 125 percent chance of winning at Sochi. You see Canada, the numbers don't lie, and they spell disaster for you at Sochi

:lol

calder

#fancystats don't lie :(

RC

Banned

Big Poppa Razorskin.

Top Bottom