• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2014 |OT| Bobby Orr, Bathroom Stalls, and the Battle at the Big House

Quick

Banned
ioJdiRx7c3enB.gif

calder

Gary Lawless says the Jets need to "break up" their leadership group to win. He targeted Byfuglien specifically. Thoughts, Jets-GAF?

As always, Gary Lawless is the biggest idiot in Canadian sports media. Yes, that's a breathtakingly bold claim for a nation with Damien Cox and Steve Simmons, but it's scientifically proven.

Even when he's right, like about how the Jets need to make some bold changes, it's for the dumbest possible reasons and his suggestions are the ravings of a mean spirited crazyman.

So basically:
photo1-8-201450758pmp7f6i.png

Relocation is a great option. You guys tried and failed, time to move to Seattle!
:p
qckplzn5rrd.jpg

LevelNth

Banned
All I'm saying Levelnth is that there is a reason Russia is playing Kulemin with Malkin and Ovechkin!
Because a garbage NHLer is better than a guy from the K who has no experience against the Americans and Canucks in the N.

Seriously guys Kule sucks. He provides zero offense, his D is only mediocre this year and he's completely dependent on his line mates to create anything.

calder

Reimer hung out to dry.

Beginning of the year people here laughed at me for suggesting the Jets try to get Reimer cheap, either during the season or after making him an offer. Now, thanks to the Leafs goalie situation unfolding as expected with Bernier taking the starters role (deserved) and the painfully inconsistent Pavelec living up to his Ondrejdful nickname more often it's looking downright sane!

If only Pavs wasn't signed for 3 more years. :p He's overpaid IMO but not grossly so, but the long term deal Chevy gave him was, even at the time, such a wishful-thinking "hey if we pay this talented but iffy goalie like an established starter he'll just become one right?" mistake.

EDIT: sorry unclear, I meant "here" as in my work/friends, not GAF.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
If only Pavs wasn't signed for 3 more years. :p He's overpaid IMO but not grossly so, but the long term deal Chevy gave him was, even at the time, such a wishful-thinking "hey if we pay this talented but iffy goalie like an established starter he'll just become one right?" mistake.
What's the deal with Pavelec? He seems like one of the most volatile goalies in the league, some games he plays amazing and others he shit's the bed. No consistency in his game, but he has the tools to be a really great goaltender.

Acid08

Banned
What's the deal with Pavelec? He seems like one of the most volatile goalies in the league, some games he plays amazing and others he shit's the bed. No consistency in his game, but he has the tools to be a really great goaltender.
I'd place at least some of that blame on the Jets' defense. He probably gets next to no help night in and night out.

yyzjohn

Banned
Fuck this team.
Fuck this system.
Fuck this.
Fuck.

It hurts. Make it stop hurting.

Thanks Lupes you're a golden god. (And Carlyle still hates you)

ZeroGravity

Ice is so bad in Tampa tonight they're going to switch ends halfway through the first lol

Closest we'll ever get to a winter classic I guess.

calder

I'd place at least some of that blame on the Jets' defense. He probably gets next to no help night in and night out.

They are bad defensively there's no doubt, both as a team systems-wise but also they are lacking talent on D with some waiver-wire guys playing a shocking number of minutes. It's rare to see a Jets game and not think, without exaggeration, that at least two of the defencemen should be in the AHL and it's shocking they aren't. A lot of teams have a guy on the back end that is fringe-NHL but that's why he's the 7th guy. The Jets will have that guy and two more like him, and one will be handcuffed to poor Buff. ;(

But Pavelec is just a mediocre goalie beyond that I think. If the only real difference between an average and above average to elite goalie in the NHL is consistency like some hockey people insist than Pavs is the living proof of that theory. He makes some great saves at times and has very strong games occasionally, but there are 20+ guys in the NHL who can play a great game now and then and make the odd highlight reel save.

Hmmm... watching the Leafs game now, Reimer hung out to dry. But he's got some experience with a shoddy defense I see, that's good, that's actually great to see.

Top Bottom