• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
there's enough evidence that we know it isn't. just like when the Leafs went 10-1-1 with a PDO of 108 and I kept saying how shit they are, now they're playing pretty well but have a PDO of like 93 and are losing...

this shit always evens out in the end, Leafs are on the wrong end of it right now. their PDO for the season is like 101 still, which is probably what it should be given their talent.

just frustrating to me that it's happening when theyrs playing well. in the past the collapses have accompanied bad play.

Are all shots the same?
Are all saves the same?

Leafs are actually playing worse now than ever this season. No, PDO isn't explaining that at all.

Leafs have tightened up the defensive zone (points and walls) and are allowing less low percentile shots but have done fuck all with the high percentile shots.... mirroring that change is the leafs are now taking more low percentile shots with a drastic reduction in high percentile shots (current game excluded)

What this results in? Potentially a minor dip in GA (at best when averaged out) and a massive decrease in GF...this leads to PDO dropping like a rock and corsi will say they're playing good when they aren't. Not even close. Leafs playing unlucky? Nope. They're limiting their own offensive chances due to their current playstyle.

PDO and Corsi being weighted by my stat system would explain just how wrong current stats are and just how poorly understood stats are across the board. In theory both systems could work but the information is lousy at best when everything is assigned a value of 1.

The math lover in me dies a little bit every time i see PDO and Corsi in their current form used as tools for serious analysis.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
30 C. Hutton 1 - 4 .250 0 12:32

hot damn lol

also LOL that goal by Z was amazing

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Remember when the conversation about Pacioretty was that he needed Desharnais to feed him the puck?

This year, everyone who plays with Pacioretty puts up a ton of points, best exemplified by Weise.

ShaneB

Meh first period. Terrible defensively play. Similar to the game against the Preds, had no idea the Stars were such a fast playing team.

zroid

Banned
Are all shots the same?
dopey I'm not gonna argue with you so let's just agree to disagree. there is just too much evidence that you would have to overturn for me to buy your arguments. maybe some day you'll do the research and prove your hypotheses correct--for now I'll go with PDO is real. I've seen the data.

Foggy

Johansen continuing his point streak(13) tonight. He and Patrick Kane are the only two hombres to have two 10+ point streaks in the same season within the past 5 years. Good sheeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiitttttttttttt.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I'm just dreaming, I know Bergevin has inquired about him for a long time now, and he would be perfect here. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he went and pulled the trigger on a big trade like that.

Evander Kane would be perfect just about everywhere. Wish we'd have gotten him, but Vrbata isn't so bad either.

Top Bottom