• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

ShaneB

Another question I have - how are on-ice fights legal? If the same two players did the exact same thing on the streets in front of a cop, it would be considered battery and lead to an arrest, no? Instead they get to do it on national television where thousands of cops can see them, but all they get is a measly penalty, and maybe a couple game suspension?

Don't get me wrong... the fights are great. I just don't understand why hockey rinks are zones where federal law doesn't apply.

It's best not to think about it. The tired argument of "it's just a part of hockey" is nonsense.

Marvie_3

Banned
Lift that puck Hoss!

Another question I have - how are on-ice fights legal? If the same two players did the exact same thing on the streets in front of a cop, it would be considered battery and lead to an arrest, no? Instead they get to do it on national television where thousands of cops can see them, but all they get is a measly penalty, and maybe a couple game suspension?

Don't get me wrong... the fights are great. I just don't understand why hockey rinks are zones where federal law doesn't apply.
You should probably start asking this with boxing and wwfc first.

Marvie_3

Banned
So many good chances for Chicago in the last few minutes. Lehtonen with some great saves but I'm not sure how some of these other pucks are staying out.

zroid

Banned
Lehtonen on fire right now

it's really a culture thing. I don't have an ethical problem with fighting at the pro level, but generally I think they're stupid. Hey, if two pro hockey players consensually want to try and beat each other up, fine, better than cheap shotting each other during the course of play.

what's way more egregious and unethical to me is fighting in the CHL, at the junior level. there really is no excuse imo for allowing that. Watching minors fight each other for entertainment is deplorable. and again, fighting at the junior level is what makes that fighting culture persist. luckily most teams have realized enforcers are worthless so fighting is getting phased out of the game naturally.

sigh

edit: I appreciate all of your perspectives on the issue. zroid... I wasn't even sure of what CHL was until I googled it just now, but jeez. Brawls in that age-range seem, uh, real dicey

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Who's ready for the Wings to lose to the worst team in the league after beating the best team last night?

HAHAHAH and it's 1-0 Buffalo! God damn Detroit is terrible against bad teams.

Huh? I see a hot chick rocking a Wings jersey with Spider-Man hanging upside down and the Wings logo behind him. Was it something else before?

No that's the one - just the Wings/Superhero combo. Made it last night, and may have been subconsciously inspired by you. Thought I'd give ya props.

WOW WTF @ THAT GOAL

pringles

Fucking gotta be kidding me. 2-0 and some lucky ass deflection goal. They ain't coming back from this one. Game over.
Too fucking predictable. Beat the best teams in the league, then lose to the worst team in the league while they're on a 10-game losing streak. LOL.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
Yep.

with the way Buff is playing right now, you have to think he'd be a Norris candidate if he had started the season at D

deff it is just the coach and other people didnt trust him at D, the last few years he has made a lot of stupid mistakes which forced everyones hand to put him forward . Now i think he has learnt his lesson and matured more as a player, and his playing offence when he did helped his defensive play with how he shoots and skates now

Razorskin

----- ------
Bob Cole just said there are "two great goalies in this shootout tonight"

lolwut

:lol Mike Smith
d2uOZZG.png

calder

Horrible gross game. Jets looked tired and lazy, especially late.

Frankly neither team should get any points from this but we'll take the two I guess :p

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
A Montreal radio guy who never says anything about rumours or anything said last night he heard about a possible deal that would send Edler to Montreal. Said to take it with a hgue grain of salt, I have no idea what the Canucks would want or why they would do that though.

Lmao

I shouldn't be surprised. Taking pictures of it and posting it on the internet is pretty fucking weird.

Razorskin

----- ------
A Montreal radio guy who never says anything about rumours or anything said last night he heard about a possible deal that would send Edler to Montreal. Said to take it with a hgue grain of salt, I have no idea what the Canucks would want or why they would do that though.

I was actually wondering if the Canucks were still look to deal him.

Not sure how I feel about this depending on what we give up, how defensively sound is Edler?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I was actually wondering if the Canucks were still look to deal him.

Not sure how I feel about this depending on what we give up, how defensively sound is Edler?
Based on what Canucks fans say here, he seems to be their best guy and he would really solidify our top 4 D. This guy isn't one to just through out stuff like this, so it's interesting he let this one out.

Razorskin

----- ------
Based on what Canucks fans say here, he seems to be their best guy and he would really solidify our top 4 D. This guy isn't one to just through out stuff like this, so it's interesting he let this one out.

Emelin is playing himself out of the roster and Gonchar is on the second pairing so I wouldn't mind getting Edler..

Top Bottom