• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

Socreges

Banned
Putting OEL on the block and not Doan seems insane. They're really committed to keeping Doan as the face of the franchise forever, I guess.

The Rangers are known to be really interested in Vermette. He's probably their number one trade target, with Santorelli being the other one. Rangers scouts have been following the Leafs around for weeks now, though.
Doan refuses to be traded, I'm sure.

Hmm... Steve Burtch was tweeting about how if the Leafs could get a 1st or a prospect+2nd for Santorelli+Winnik, that should be a deal that a lot of buyers ought to jump at. I don't disagree. You put them on the wings of a decent centre and you've got a quality 3rd line gift wrapped.

Everyone's talking about moving Santo and/or Winnik separately, but together they have been very effective this year.

I find it very hard to believe that a contender will give up a 1st or a prospect for two depth forwards on expiring contracts.

In 2011, the Canucks gave up a 3rd+low-level prospect for Higgins, and the same for Lapierre. Both were meant to bolster their bottom-six, and only injuries put them higher up the depth chart.

zroid

Banned
I find it very hard to believe that a contender will give up a 1st or a prospect for two depth forwards on expiring contracts.

In 2011, the Canucks gave up a 3rd+low-level prospect for Higgins, and the same for Lapierre. Both were meant to bolster their bottom-six, and only injuries put them higher up the depth chart.

That's the benefit of including two good players instead of one, who have also played together for much of the year and demonstrated good chemistry. Wouldn't expect anything better than a 2nd or 3rd for either one individually, but together they could help a lot of teams who need forward depth quite a bit. If I were a smart GM -- especially one who values analytics -- of a team on the verge of contention, it's a deal I would strongly consider.

For example, the Winnik-Kadri-Santorelli line has been matched up against opponents' top lines for much of the season, and they have something like a 51% CF and 60% GF. You obviously won't get those kind of stats without Kadri but it's enticing, isn't it?

No way I'm giving up a 1st for a Winnik+Santo package deal.

Anaheim scares, they are totally going to make a push for OEL.

Could see a Ritchie+Gibson+1st deal.

I would laugh my ass off if we dumped O'Reilly in the middle of the desert for Larsson.

Though, if Larsson has actually been on the block but hasn't been traded yet their price is probably hilarious.

Samyy

I would laugh my ass off if we dumped O'Reilly in the middle of the desert for Larsson.

Though, if Larsson has actually been on the block but hasn't been traded yet their price is probably hilarious.

You'd have to add quite a bit
They'll probably ask for Mackinnon

Marvie_3

Banned
Watch the Canucks lose to the Sabres tonight.

Clendening trade seems pretty good for both teams. Canucks get someone who can play now, while the Hawks can afford to take the time to develop Forsling with their deep defence.
Bowman is apparently trying to get every Swedish defenseman in the world.

Clendening has looked awesome in the AHL but outside of scoring a goal, he wasn't all that good during his callup earlier this year. He doesn't look like he's ready at all for full time NHL duty.

Also, Blackhawks legend Mikita suffering from dementia :(

That's the benefit of including two good players instead of one, who have also played together for much of the year and demonstrated good chemistry. Wouldn't expect anything better than a 2nd or 3rd for either one individually, but together they could help a lot of teams who need forward depth quite a bit. If I were a smart GM -- especially one who values analytics -- of a team on the verge of contention, it's a deal I would strongly consider.

For example, the Winnik-Kadri-Santorelli line has been matched up against opponents' top lines for much of the season, and they have something like a 51% CF and 60% GF. You obviously won't get those kind of stats without Kadri but it's enticing, isn't it?

I think Kadri is better than most third-line centres. Even considering their positive fancy stats, they are still depth forwards on expiring contracts. If I am a contender and I'm giving up a 1st for a rental, that rental better be good. A "package deal" does not make the return better, since teams have to manage their roster size (are they going to demote/waive 2 players to make room for them?) and the number of contracts.

Some memorable trades with 1st round picks:*
2013: Pens trade for Iginla
2013: Blues trade for Bouwmeester
2013: Bruins trade for Jagr (conditional 1st)
2013: Wild trade for Pominville
2012: Preds trade for Gaustad
2011: Kings trade for Penner
2009: Flames trade for Jokinen
2008: Sharks trade for Campbell
2008: Pens trade for Hossa

With a couple exceptions, a 1st is involved in deals with star players.

*excluding 2014 deals (St. Louis) and non-deadline deals

I think Kadri is better than most third-line centres. Even considering their positive fancy stats, they are still depth forwards on expiring contracts. If I am a contender and I'm giving up a 1st for a rental, that rental better be good. A "package deal" does not make the return better, since teams have to manage their roster size (are they going to demote/waive 2 players to make room for them?) and the number of contracts.

Some memorable trades with 1st round picks:

Uhhh.... You forgot the best trade of them all:

2012: Wings trade for Quincey

To be fair though, he has actually played pretty good this year and is doing a good job

Bowman is apparently trying to get every Swedish defenseman in the world.

Clendening has looked awesome in the AHL but outside of scoring a goal, he wasn't all that good during his callup earlier this year. He doesn't look like he's ready at all for full time NHL duty.

Sounds like he'd fit right in with the tire fire that is the bottom pairing. He can't be worse than anyone else on the second unit PP.

Uhhh.... You forgot the best trade of them all:

2012: Wings trade for Quincey

To be fair though, he has actually played pretty good this year and is doing a good job

Just realized I only looked at trade deadline deals so the Quincey trade was excluded. Trading a 1st for a 20+ minute guy isn't entirely unreasonable.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Some memorable trades with 1st round picks:

Don't forget the Rangers' trade for St. Louis last season included TWO 1st rounders.

Samyy

30wOMmX.png

Look at all those dumbass GM's drafting 6'3 busts!
70 is a pretty decent sample too, some of it has to be guys being draft for size I guess?
Who knows!

This trade deadline may actually be interesting for us seeing as how Holland has actually grown a pair and started waiving un-needed players and possibly showcasing others for trades... Or more than likely it will be disastrous as any deal he does will be a major fleecing of us losing half of our prospect pool

Marvie_3

Banned
Sounds like he'd fit right in with the tire fire that is the bottom pairing. He can't be worse than anyone else on the second unit PP.

I think he'll be ok once he gets some seasoning in the NHL. He can play the PP pretty well so thats not a bad spot for him to get some minutes.

Top Bottom