• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

zroid

Banned
sBJITTA.png

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
translation: babcock come to us pls
I like how you're assuming Babcock going to the Leafs is a great possibility. The Wings already offered him the most money in the NHL, why would he leave to go coach a worse team in a more scrutinized market?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I like how you're assuming Babcock going to the Leafs is a great possibility. The Wings already offered him the most money in the NHL, why would he leave to go coach a worse team in a more scrutinized market?

Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie · 2m 2 minutes ago

Industry expectation is summer could see many big-name coaching candidates available, so I'd guess TOR likely to go interim route for now.

as i was saying...

also look up babcock talking about ouellet earlier in the year and how pissed he was when holland put him in the minors

Kifimbo

My guess is that Babcock will only come to Toronto if they give him Patrick-Roy-like powers. Which Detroit is apparently not willing to give him.

LevelNth

Banned
It's only a possibility, I wouldn't say great. But:

1) The Leafs can and will offer more money than anyone else.
2) It's with Shanahan.
3) It's Toronto, the hockey mecha (like it or not)
4) Babs is from Ontario.
5) He loves a challenge, and would relish bringing Toronto back.

Still, despite all this, there are plenty reasons for him to stay in Detroit.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
My guess is that Babcock will only come to Toronto if they give him Patrick-Roy-like powers. Which Detroit is apparently not willing to give him.

Leafs also let the coach dictate who is available (cap pending)

Wilson and Carlyle had complete free reign

zroid

Banned
between Canada winning last night and waking up to this news, it's pretty much the best 12 hour stretch since I can remember

Samyy

Watch you guys still do poorly without him.

I'm sure firing Carlyle will fix everything.

No one is saying well do anything but still suck this season

Solidsnake the man is a terrible coach, I'll be writing a long post detailing exactly why he is a terrible coach, it will consist of multiple graphs, perhaps a timeline and other such information. If you want to believe that he is a good coach after reading that information, then please seek the bottom of that post for details regarding the closest mental health institution available in your locale. Thanks!

ShaneB

What the heck? Carlyle fired? Wacky news.

First day back to work after 2 weeks+ off =( Fuck this sucks.

edit: I also barely pay attention to the west standings... how the heck are the Preds quietly being that hell of a great team?

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit, i just got into the office (holy fuck, I'm not as sick anymore and my potential mumps incubation period is finally over!) and just saw that the Leafs fired Carlyle!

Miracles abounding for you folks up there in the ACC. Congrats, Leafs-GAF!

Samyy

Hoping the teams who may fire their coaches this season dodge the Carlyle bullet
(Looking at you San Jose/ St. Louis)

Red_Man

Hoping the teams who may fire their coaches this season dodge the Carlyle bullet
(Looking at you San Jose/ St. Louis)
I'll be shocked if Carlyle coaches again. I see him as in the same boat as Torts where he's wasted his last chance.

Samyy

I'll be shocked if Carlyle coaches again. I see him as in the same boat as Torts where he's wasted his last chance.

Well we all know the NHL is a big old boys club, who knows.

Anyway: Panthers possession numbers, red-line denotes the point at which Horachek took over.

B6rZw21CQAAgtsR.png

Another cool graph!:

B6m2hZzCAAEFQbN.png

calder

Sadly, I think you're underestimating the terrible allure of having a Stanley Cup Winning Coach. It's just insane how winning a ring protects you from so much criticism.

Hell, just think about HNIC on the weekend when Healy said something stupid and the panel agreed they couldn't argue with him because he has a ring (AS A BACKUP GOALIE) and therefor instantly wins any hockey argument. It's absurd, but I'd bet at least a few GM's out there would look at Carlyle and say "hmm, well no matter what he's won a Cup so the media/players will have to respect what he says, and ownership will love that".

Wow, some of you are way to delusional on trying to get Babcock for Toronto and it will be hilarious when he doesn't end up there.

He better not go there

Red_Man

Sadly, I think you're underestimating the terrible allure of having a Stanley Cup Winning Coach. It's just insane how winning a ring protects you from so much criticism.
I think things have changed a bit and people are more aware that we're in a different age of hockey now. I hope so at least, and this whole situation makes me feel more comfortable regarding Therrien's safety anyways.

Your right. He's coming to MTL.

Habscock2016
80545-Jack-Nicholson-nodding-gif-Img-P7l1.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member

Hell, just think about HNIC on the weekend when Healy said something stupid and the panel agreed they couldn't argue with him because he has a ring (AS A BACKUP GOALIE) and therefor instantly wins any hockey argument. It's absurd, but I'd bet at least a few GM's out there would look at Carlyle and say "hmm, well no matter what he's won a Cup so the media/players will have to respect what he says, and ownership will love that".
A backup goalie with a record of 10-12-2 with a 3.03 GAA and .878 SV% that season. The man clearly knows what it means to win championships.

Red_Man

That first line, ugh.
Drouin with Boyle :lol

I'm pretty pumped for tonight's game, time for these teams to measure themselves up against each other. Won't be surprised if the Habs pull out a stinker after this great run they've had.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Whoaaaa a team wins something at the ACC AND Carlyle gets fired? Congrats city of Toronto

Top Bottom