• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL January 2015 |OT| A team wearing the Maple Leaf won something at the ACC

Stet

Banned
Wilson saying the team is uncoachable assumes that he and Carlyle were actually making an effort to coach them.

HPZcdiS.jpg

The Leafs are the gift that keeps on giving, I have no idea why Babs would want to be apart of that since he seems to be more distant from the media. Toronto media would cause him to explode.

calder

I've said it for over a decade here but I'll say it again: I have to admit the leafs give us all so, so, SO much joy in various ways. Not even just the team, the TO media is like the gift that keeps on giving too.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Wilson saying the team is uncoachable assumes that he and Carlyle were actually making an effort to coach them.

Wilson was successful before the Leafs and Carlyle won the cup with the Ducks, they're not bad coaches. I think the core group of players will eventually have to take responsibility.

That Kessel clip with him calling the reporter an idiot was hilarious.

zroid

Banned
Wilson was successful before the Leafs and Carlyle won the cup with the Ducks, they're not bad coaches. I think the core group of players will eventually have to take responsibility.

That Kessel clip with him calling the reporter an idiot was hilarious.

Wouldn't take much from Carlyle's Cup win. He had a stacked as fuck roster in those days and the team still relied on goaltending a lot. Then in subsequent years the Ducks went to shit, as they had been pretty much trending down throughout his tenure.

calder

Kind of odd that Shanahan hasn't said a thing today regarding all this, no?

Dude is smarter than I gave him credit for. Stay above the shitshow, stay clean, leave Nonis there hanging in the breeze.

Removing Randy Carlyle is just pulling the wool over leaf fans heads...again!

As long as Gary Bettman is league boss...it doesn't matter how many Leaf coaches are hired and fired ....the bigger picture...the real picture.... will never change for the Leafs.

Fact: Leafs deliver 25 cents of every dollar generated in the entire NHL. And revenue sharing, is the life blood of every new team south of the boarder.

Bettman will do everything he can at the league level to ensure the revenue stream generated by the Toronto Maple Leafs and their fans.

Revenue sharing ensures Leaf fans will continue to pay the highest ticket prices in the league...prices beyond the means of most Leaf fans.

The promise to deliver the best graduating junior players to new owner investors is Bettman's 'plan for profit' and ROI and guarantees the Leafs will never get a Gretzky, Liemieux, or Crosby. After 48 years of mediocrity Leaf fans deserve Conner McDavid?

Never happen.

The same financial circumstances guarantees Hamilton will never get a franchise. Hamilton fans are financially all-in in by supporting the Leafs. A new team in Hamilton simply robs Peter to pay Paul ensuring fewer revenue sharing dollars to the owners who sustain Bettman's financial well being.

These well orchestrated hiring and firings are designed to do nothing more than tickle the interest of Leaf fans sufficiently enough to sustain fan interest and league revenues.

Bettman is the perfect league boss for his business partner-owners..... but about as valuable to Leaf fans as corrupt politicians are to taxpayers.

Removing Randy Carlyle is just pulling the wool over leaf fans heads...again!
May be the highlight of the day so far.

Wilson was successful before the Leafs and Carlyle won the cup with the Ducks, they're not bad coaches.

That's true, they were - at times - good, effective coaches with specific rosters. Then those rosters/circumstances changed, and they were fired from those teams.

I think the core group of players will eventually have to take responsibility.

This is said a lot, but I have no idea what it means.

One guy who now needs to fall on his sword is Nonis. This is his (and Burkie's) shit pile.

Foggy

Humor me here, but assuming the Leafs had a quality coach, what sort of position would they be in the standings? Realistically how much was Carlyle holding them back?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Humor me here, but assuming the Leafs had a quality coach, what sort of position would they be in the standings? Realistically how much was Carlyle holding them back?

Well... they are 2nd in GF and like 26th in GA

If their defense was solved with the goaltending and offense they have? Sky is the limit.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
That's not how it works.
:lol :lol

Leafs still have a bleh roster despite whoever is behind the bench. They have no #1 D along with a very average to below average D corps, plus have terrible Center depth with no one besides Kadri able to handle tough minutes. Doesn't matter who's behind the bench, they can't change this. Carlyle was an idiot and needed to be fired, but players need to be moved as well.

calder

Leafs still have a bleh roster despite whoever is behind the bench. They have no #1 D along with a very average to below average D corps, plus have terrible Center depth with no one besides Kadri able to handle tough minutes. Doesn't matter who's behind the bench, they can't change this. Carlyle was an idiot and needed to be fired, but players need to be moved as well.

Red_Man: wrong about advanced stats, but so very right about the Leafs roster.

Samyy

I still think the Leafs with the current can have at least an average to slightly below average defence, right now its just categorically awful at everything.

calder

Arizona Sports Hub @SportsHubAZ
#Coyotes best competitive offers for #ShaneDoan are #NHLJets and Ottawa #Sens and #NHLBruins per source. The suits are on lunch break #NHL

spaceywroooooooong.jpg

Although, it would be kinda funny.

Samyy

If there are leafs players that are moved. Who will be the first?

You mean likely to be moved?
I don't know if anyone will be moved until the trade deadline. It is much harder to make big trades involving guys like Kessel/Phaneuf until the off-season.

I think realistically the Leafs look to potentially moving Franson, as he is a UFA, at the deadline if they've decided they don't want him. Probably will try to move Robidas and Lupul as well, will accept scraps for them at this point just to get some cap space.

If the Leafs really want to tear down then Kessel goes in the off-season since there really is no point to having him around if you want to tank and he'll fetch decent pieces. Hopefully this includes Bozak being kicked to the curb as well.

Merguson

Banned
You mean likely to be moved?
I don't know if anyone will be moved until the trade deadline. It is much harder to make big trades involving guys like Kessel/Phaneuf until the off-season.

I think realistically the Leafs look to potentially moving Franson, as he is a UFA, at the deadline if they've decided they don't want him. Probably will try to move Robidas and Lupul as well, will accept scraps for them at this point just to get some cap space.

If the Leafs really want to tear down then Kessel goes in the off-season since there really is no point to having him around if you want to tank and he'll fetch decent pieces. Hopefully this includes Bozak being kicked to the curb as well.

It's hard to say unless we get a really clear direction of where Shanahan wants the club to go.

Obviously he isn't happy with the roster considering the firing comes at a time where the Leafs are still in a playoff spot (for now).

There will be roster changes but to what extent? The core pieces? Or a repeat of the off-season in terms of roster changes?

EDIT: Maybe management is completely happy with Tyler Bozak??

k4EqbjT.gif

Samyy

It's hard to say unless we get a really clear direction of where Shanahan wants the club to go.

Obviously he isn't happy with the roster considering the firing comes at a time where the Leafs are still in a playoff spot (for now).

There will be roster changes but to what extent? The core pieces? Or a repeat of the off-season in terms of roster changes?

EDIT: Maybe management is completely happy with Tyler Bozak??

k4EqbjT.gif

If Carlyle was fired despite the team being in eigth, with a normal PDO and everything like that right now, I think at least a little of the analytics staff is saying is getting through to Shanahan, which woould make it unlikely that their happy with Tyler Bozak.

Stet

Banned
Get rid of Phaneuf, make Lupul the captain so he can pump up the crowd and the team and then protect the living shit out of him.

Samyy

i'm seeing trade proposal, discussion about changing captain, players to throw away, who should coach next year, why Carlyle got fired etc etc

for once Habs are actually doing fine and I actually like our team, and I almost feel bad for leafs fans right now.

Hans Zimmer is pretty good, i'm a fan

Im just confused about the damage control part, everyone knows the Leafs are shit - no damage control.

Top Bottom